A Mighty Wind - whistle and bodhràn sighting!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

A Mighty Wind - whistle and bodhràn sighting!

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Has anybody seen the mockumentary A Mighty Wind? I recommend it if you haven't. It does for '50s and '60s folk music what This is Spinal Tap did for Heavy Metal.

Anyways there are a couple whistle sightings and a bodhran sighting. The first whistle sighting appears to be a brass Generation G or F whistle. It is never played but is just held by one of the New Main Street Singers. Then in one of the additional scenes Christopher Guest plays a green-fipple-brass-body whistle and in another Eugene Levy taps on a bodhràn while singing a gory ballad. Christopher Guest kind of knows what he's doing on the whistle. He even vented the second octave D.

Whistles or not, this is a funny movie.

Cheers,
Aaron
Seth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Seth »

I agree that this movie is worth seeing. About the bodhran sighting, irish music purists should look away. It is the most laughable use of a bodhran I've seen in a while. This movie is especially good for those who know a bit about American folk music, though in many cases Irish would apply as well.

Every song they sing in this movie sounds exactly like a 60s era folk song, but they were all written for the movie. Some of them quite obviously (to me anyways) make fun of this sort of music at the same time. Like the song "Wonderin" the character in this song is singing a tale about how he never went anywhere, never did no wonderin'. I though it was hilarious because of all the rovin' songs I know about exactly the opposite.

The movie takes on an even better dimension if you have seen the movie "Spinal Tap", an earlier music mockumentary by the same people. Then you 'll notice that the same three guys who are Spinal Tap, are also The Folksmen.

My two cents,
Seth
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I think A Mighty Wind was nothing compared to Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman by the same people. I was disappointed.
Last edited by JessieK on Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~JessieD
pthouron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pthouron »

JessieK wrote:I think A Mighty Wind was nothing compared to Dog Show and Waiting for Guffman by the same people. I was disappointed.
There may be a generational issue here, perhaps???
cj

Post by cj »

It's funny you mentioned this movie, I watched it with some friends just last weekend!
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

Yup, rented "Wind" last weekend. I enjoyed it, but I too preferred "Best in Show". It was all the funnier to me because I have a _cat_ at home that looks and acts very much like one of the dogs in that movie!

When I brought home "Best in Show", my 14 year old son throught I was nuts. But he watched the whole thing, then immediately wanted to see "Mighty Wind".
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I thought A Mighty Wind was just as funny as Best in Show but for different reasons. The characters and scenarios were different, maybe less in depth into the characters. The humor in A Mighty Wind is very dry compared to Best inShow which is a bit more slapstick.

I didn't realize Harry Shearer was in This is Spinal Tap... Derek Smalls, right? I haven't seen it for probably 10 years.

Cheers,
Aaron
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

I thought A Mighty Wind had funny scenes, and funny moments, and some funny parodies, and funny performances, but I don't think it held together very well as a movie. Disjointed, unconvincing, just sort of directionless. Like some others, I like all of Christopher Guest's other "mockumentary" movies better. And the funny bits mentioned are generally less funny than the funny bits in his other flicks. I think.

I'd still tell someone that AMW is worth renting, though.

As I told a friend once, it seemed like a lot of AMW was a long lead-in to the funniest head-slap in cinema history.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I have wanted to see A Mighty Wind since I first heard about it- just haven't gotten around to renting it yet.

I loved Best In Show because he got the people SOOOO right. Having shown dogs for well over two decades- I swear I know these people.
I just keep wondering which one I am.............. :o
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
artguy

Post by artguy »

cj wrote:It's funny you mentioned this movie, I watched it with some friends just last weekend!
It is quite funny it was mentioned. A guy at work was just telling me to go rent all 3 of the movies (A Mighty Wind, Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show). He said it was "my type of humor." What ever THAT was supposed to mean...something about "pointless humor" was thrown in as well...hmmmm

I guess it all seems coincidental since A Mighty Wind just come out on DVD/VHS.

bob
<b>"Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweeter..."</b>
—John Keats
"Ode on a Grecian Urn" (1820)
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

I'm in the "enjoyed the Might Wind" category, but I guess I'm old enough to have some context. We spotted the whistle too... hee hee.

NancyF
sad-seamonster

Post by sad-seamonster »

I wonder if it's like Spinal Tap in that each time you see it you noticed new things. There's a scene in Spinal Tap for example where one of the guys is meditating with his girlfriend. After I'd seen this movie several time before I noticed in this scene the guy sticks his tongue out and there's a big hit of LSD on his tongue.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

This is Spinal Tap was hilarious, Best in Show was funny, and haven;t seen A Mighty Wind, so I'll have to rent it.

BTW, Loved Edward Scissorhands, Sad-Seamonster.....

:) Mary
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I liked A Mighty Wind, but I agree it didn't hold up as well as Spinal Tap, Best of Show, or Guffman.

Incidentally, Martin Mull refers to the folk music period as the "Folk Music Scare."

Dale
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Sea Monster, I'm sure you would notice more details each time through. That rang with me since seeing Rocky Horror again on Halloween and noticed quite a few new things - even after an embarassing number of times.

Let's do the Time Warp Again,
NancyF