Where to Find the Irish

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
srt19170

Where to Find the Irish

Post by srt19170 »

This map:

http://www.mnplan.state.mn.us/maps/ance ... /irish.gif

shows concentrations of Irish ancestry in the US. So clearly the places to go for sessions are Kentucky, Tennessee, New York City and some county out in Oregon.

And stay out of Minnesota and North Dakota, eh?

-- Scott
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

hmmm... I wonder what the criteria are? Of Celtic ancestry or strictly Irish-Catholic? If you throw in the Ulster Scots, mostly from Ireland but of Scots background, the map makes more sense. Surprised the SF didn't show too, a major point of Irish immigration since the Gold Rush. To this day, many housepainters enter the country and work in SF. But maybe my perceptions are an issue of visibility, not just hard numbers.
madguy

Post by madguy »

If you'll more closely examine that map, and notice it's not only 13 years old, but also based on per 1,000 people.... You'll clearly see that NJ and DE are the states to be in!!!! :)

~Larry
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

The Weekenders wrote:hmmm... I wonder what the criteria are? Of Celtic ancestry or strictly Irish-Catholic? If you throw in the Ulster Scots, mostly from Ireland but of Scots background, the map makes more sense. Surprised the SF didn't show too, a major point of Irish immigration since the Gold Rush. To this day, many housepainters enter the country and work in SF. But maybe my perceptions are an issue of visibility, not just hard numbers.
I would say Celtic ancestry. I come from a dark blue county which only has a few fair-sized Catholic churches, them moved to a light blue county which is much more Catholic (but with more people of Hispanic and central or southern European background). Being a Protestant myself, and having mixed (but mostly Protestant) ancestry, I could only answer yes to the first question.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

madguy wrote:If you'll more closely examine that map, and notice it's not only 13 years old, but also based on per 1,000 people.... You'll clearly see that NJ and DE are the states to be in!!!! :)

~Larry
Now that can't be true. I watch the Sopranos and all you have is Sicilians. :twisted:
spittin_in_the_wind

Re: Where to Find the Irish

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

srt19170 wrote:This map:

http://www.mnplan.state.mn.us/maps/ance ... /irish.gif

shows concentrations of Irish ancestry in the US. So clearly the places to go for sessions are Kentucky, Tennessee, New York City and some county out in Oregon.

And stay out of Minnesota and North Dakota, eh?

-- Scott
I think you missed Boston... :wink:

Robin
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I notice some red counties in my neck of VA. I sure don't know of any sessions though. :sniffle:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

I'm with you Cowtime, I live in PA and theres a red county one county over from me, Sussex? Not realy sure map is kinda small, anyway I called any and every eating establishment with the word Pub in the name, and not a single one has any sessions, most of the people I talked to didn't even know what a session was, which I took for a "no" and hung up.
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

[/quote]

Now that can't be true. I watch the Sopranos and all you have is Sicilians. :twisted:[/quote]

There was an eppisode of the Sopranos not 5 miles (as the crow flies) from my home. They dumped somebodys body in the Quarry known as dutch springs. Rather nice swimming hole. Especially if you like to dive off of 75'+ cliffs. You can also take scooba diving lessons there. Water is pretty cold though until you get into late summer... I have never seen any bodies floating around in that water unless they had water wings on or a life vest.
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I grew up across the border from Wheeler county in Oregon, which has the abnormally high ratio of people with Irish ancestry. The local reaction to my interest in Irish music - bagpipes - was "That Kevin was always nuts!" Etc. etc.
Wheeler county'd be a good place to drink beer at 2 AM in front of an illegal (self service) gas station, or to blow up tires with pipe bombs. I don't know about sessions!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Having grown up where I did, in an Irish-Catholic parish on the west side of Cleveland, when I hear "Irish-American" I immediately think urban and Roman Catholic, if only "culturally Catholic". I think the urban, Catholic I-As tend to be the ones who hold onto the Irish identity more than rural I-As do.
Mike
whistlebinkie

Post by whistlebinkie »

Where to Find the Irish?

Turn Right at Greenland :D
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

I wondered if that red county in Oregon was Wheeler county. To have 100+ Irish descent per 1000 population, Wheeler country probably needs about two families.

That red spot in Montana looks close to Missoula.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Wheeler County, total population 1547, including my cousin Dave, in the 2000 census. Such places exit, urbanites. The biggest town is Fossil, so named because a lot of them were dug up there. Approximate population 399.