5am wake up call

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

5am wake up call

Post by Martin Milner »

Have you ever woken up at 5am with a tune playing in your head that you think may be original, so you get up and quickly jot down the opening bars before you lose it, then get back to bed quickly because you need your beauty sleep like Pamela Anderson needs a bra, but you can't sleep because this tune is starting to develop variations and harmonies, and then suddenly you wake up with the alarm and you have an early meeting to attend, so you go to work and have the meeting, and then when lunchtime comes you rush off to a quiet place to try playing the tune, to find you've only got four notes and you're not even sure of the rhythm anymore?

I have.
littlejohngael
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Yep. I've done that. I actually DO get up and jot it down. The first time it happened, I woke up thinking, "That was so good, there's no way I'll forget it." Yeah. Right. Gone forever.

But I'm sure it's an amazing rhythmless four notes, Martin. :D Poor fella.

All the best,

Little John
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Yep. Been there, done that.

What is even more discouraging is when you actually catch the melody, remember it, right it down, and then when playing it the next day realize your wonderful original piece is an IrTrad-ized version of some drek and drivel tune off the car radio...

--James
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Funny...I don't normally wake up with tunes in my head, but this morning I did.

You think maybe we're having a CME induced musical experience??

btw, my tune was American Rifle Team...never played it on the whistle, but I heard it in my head as a whistle tune. Gonna go try it.

EDITTED after looking it up on JC's

Oh ick...it goes up to a high E!!!! This maybe a tune I simply hand over to a fifer and let 'em rip. I learned it on hammered dulcimer (heads up all you HDers!) and its pathetically easy to do this moving chord in the B part on a hammered dulcimer. I also learned it as a driving reel, not a hornpipe. A real sharp attack on the first and fifth notes gives the tune a real rifleshot sort of sound IMHO.

If anyone manages it on the whistle (or fife)...please let me know! Better yet, Clip/Snip it please!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Dorothy Parker used to have that happen with profound literary insights, so she put a notepad on her bedstand. One night soon after, she awoke with a terrific inspiration and WROTE IT DOWN!!! She went back to sleep feeling a warm sense of uplift and anticipation, knowing the brilliant bit was recorded safe and sound. Upon arising, she picked up the notepad and read, "Hogamus higamus, all men are bigamists. Higamus hogamus, women monogamous."

Best wishes,
Jerry
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Tyghress,

Most whistles can play that high E without too much difficulty, and since it follows an A here, it's not too bad.

Here are some fingerings that may work, depending on what whistle:

( x x o | x x o )
( x x o | o x x )
( x x o | o x o )

The secret to this note is to not be afraid of it, but rather hit it with a good solid punch of high-speed air.

--James
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Martin: I written whole pieces of musicand songs, for naught upon waking up. Also, while cycling or when I used to run I would whistle new tunes etc. And of course, never have the time to drop everything and notate. Finally, I got one of those portable cheap cassette recorders to sing song ideas into. Haven't "written" anything since!

I have dreams too, where I read several pages out of books I have never seen. I can see the pages clearly and I have a parallel dream of the action taking place from the words, like history. It's very weird.
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

I had a dream once where I was playing a Low D whistle. I find that just odd, especially since I have only ever seen them in pictures. I dreamt I was walking around in my living room playing it, but I was not able to do too well because in my dream I didn't know piper's grip.

And I often think up what I think might be new tunes, and then I promptly forget them because I lack the ear training to write them down.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
serpent

Post by serpent »

I got a Yepp-35 mp3 player and recorder. It's tiny, easy to start up and get recording, and does a really nice job with recording music. I keep it by the bed next to a whistle, and haven't woken up with a tune in my head since! :D
Works for me!
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
rossmpfc13

Post by rossmpfc13 »

peeplj wrote:Yep. Been there, done that.

What is even more discouraging is when you actually catch the melody, remember it, right it down, and then when playing it the next day realize your wonderful original piece is an IrTrad-ized version of some drek and drivel tune off the car radio...

--James
Yeah, that happened to me with a combination of the Star of Munster and...Julia Delaney I think. I came quite close to performing it...it would have been under my name.
-Ross
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Holy Cow, I wonder what would happen if you guys had a wet dream you wanted to remember,
Now there would be an interesting thread :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Dorothy Parker used to have that happen with profound literary insights, so she put a notepad on her bedstand. One night soon after, she awoke with a terrific inspiration and WROTE IT DOWN!!! She went back to sleep feeling a warm sense of uplift and anticipation, knowing the brilliant bit was recorded safe and sound. Upon arising, she picked up the notepad and read, "Hogamus higamus, all men are bigamists. Higamus hogamus, women monogamous."
- I revere the Parker wit, Jerry. -I think it was she or Talulah Bankhead, encountering a smarmy young woman offering her boarding of a train ahead of herself with the "Age before beauty" crack -responded "Pearls before swine!" -Now there's a wit! :lol:
Last edited by brianormond on Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
glauber

Re: 5am wake up call

Post by glauber »

Martin Milner wrote:because you need your beauty sleep like Pamela Anderson needs a bra
She does? :boggle:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

serpent wrote:I got a Yepp-35 mp3 player and recorder. It's tiny, easy to start up and get recording, and does a really nice job with recording music. I keep it by the bed next to a whistle, and haven't woken up with a tune in my head since!
Is this your funny way to tell us you're single? :D
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

glauber wrote:
serpent wrote:I got a Yepp-35 mp3 player and recorder. It's tiny, easy to start up and get recording, and does a really nice job with recording music. I keep it by the bed next to a whistle, and haven't woken up with a tune in my head since!
Is this your funny way to tell us you're single? :D
ROFLMAO! :D
/Bloomfield