Whistle testing tunes...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Whistle testing tunes...

Post by brewerpaul »

I was just curious if people have favorite tunes for testing out new whistles-- either when purchasing them, or tunes that whistlemakers use to put a new whistle through it's paces.
I usually play The Kid On The Mountain for a fast tune. It uses most of the range of the whistle, has some good rolls and some nice interval hopping arpeggios. For something slow, I like the opening Aria from Bach's Goldberg Variations. Again, it uses nearly the whole whistle range plus some half holed notes. I realize that many of the whistles I send out in the world will never be used for Bach, so I feel good sending them to their owners with at least one dose of this splendid music having passed through their bores...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
waitingame

Re: Whistle testing tunes...

Post by waitingame »

brewerpaul wrote:I realize that many of the whistles I send out in the world will never be used for Bach
So how about a chromatic Busman......or would that be a re*****r?
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Whistle testing tunes...

Post by glauber »

brewerpaul wrote:For something slow, I like the opening Aria from Bach's Goldberg Variations. Again, it uses nearly the whole whistle range plus some half holed notes.
Do you have the ABCs for that? :)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
dublingirl

Post by dublingirl »

I usually play "Harvest Home" when trying out a new whistle. "The Kid on the Mountain" is one of my favouite tunes too!

Dublingirl
Davey

hmmm

Post by Davey »

I usually play an irreverant tune like the "British grenadiers" first (ironic eh?) then try out "ode to joy" and move on from there...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I often play a tune composed by the South African pianist Abdullah Ibrahim to test for responsiveness and ease of transitions. (In the space of a bar or two it leaps two octaves from low D to third octave D and back to second octave D.) Sorry, can't remember the name of the tune off hand. Lots of tunes are good for speed of response: Harvest Home is a favourite of mine too. I play a bit of blues to test for how easily I can make it wail.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Paul - I usually play a series of my some favorites of didderent types/speeds that cover two octaves and some ornaments - The Lonesome Wave, Down By the Sally Garden, The Worn Torn Petticoat, Dunmoor Lasses, Cis Ni Lathain, Morrison's Jig, Out on the Ocean and The Pikemen's March, and always Danny Boy to check the ease of that high B in the second section...You see, it's a vicious circle....new whistles are an excuse for playing and playing is an excuse for new whistles...

Regards,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
serpent

Music for Testing (with procedure)

Post by serpent »

First a full scale from bell to high as it will go without damaging the dog. Then my current favorite, "Tour de Taille", at the moment, then "Haste to the Wedding" / "The Kesh" as a set, and finally I stumble through "Jean's Reel". If I'm not pressed for time, I may do either or both of "On Castle Rock" or "Inis Oirr". Finally, I stand in front of the Korg and check the bell note for center. I know that's superfluous, as the whistle wouldn't have gotten this far were the bell not good, but hey, it doesn't hurt. I then slowly play each note through its range and note variations. If the centerpoint of any note is more than a few cents flat, and cannot be brought to center by minor trimming (can't trim out sharpness), the whistle is beheaded and the body given to the scrap bin.

Finally, the head is dunked in (ethyl) alcohol, and the whistle is set aside for final polish and washing with Ivory Liquid before shipment.

Then if it's lunchtime or quitting time, I have a Guiness and play my own whistle for a while. Right now, I'm working on "The New Mown Meadows".
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

I usually use the Belfast Horpipe. It's good to show you what the octave transitions are like, plus it's fun to play as fast as your little fingers will wiggle. Then I usually try The Howling Wind (Tam Lin, Glasgow Reel) substituting triple-tounging for the rolls to see how responsive the whistle is to start/stop air pressure changes. WARNING: Triple-tounging will get the insides of a whistle WET...at least the way I do it :)!

For what it's worth,
Eric
syn whistles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by syn whistles »

Planxty Irwin, Irish Washerwoman & Moreton Bay.
So good it has to be a SYN!
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Its :o A Bag O Spuds :o followed by 8) Andersons 8) for me .
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Good question! I usually play Harvest Home and the B part of Sarah Bauhn's She Left a Star.
~JessieD
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Harvest Home, Donegal Lass, Boys of Blue Hill, Tully's Reel, Merry Blacksmith, Father O'Flynn, Jesu - Joy of Man's Desiring, Cliffs of Doneen, Irish Washerwoman and Legacy Jig.
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

Are you sure about that Erik?
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Um.... pretty sure. Why?