Left handed Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Ciotog, everyone is different. I could not force myself to learn to play guitar right-handed but have no problem with right handed pipes.
To my advantage, I can use a calculator with my right hand while writing with my left... something many of my co-workers can't do as they have to stop writing to use their right hand on a calculator.
"IF" it makes no difference to a beginner which hand they learn to play pipes, wouldn't it be easier to learn right-handed and have access to more instruments ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tony on 2001-11-13 13:25 ]</font>
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Holy Smokes!,

Wow, never before have I lite the fuse of Irish passion in anyone like I did this email. Geeeeeesh!

Well I don't want to tell anyone how to play it's just this right-handed left-handed stuff is a bunch of none-sense. Like I said, I'm as right-handed as it gets but when I pick up the whistle my strong hand (Right-hand) wants to be on top thereby playing it Left-Handed. When I play the flute I want to hold the flute to my mouth with my strong hand. For me it only makes sense. I wish I was truly left handed, then I could be as passionate about it as you are, but since I'm not I'm just an idiot who picked up the whistle the wrong way and it was only until I couldn’t make a sound out of an Olwell Bamboo Flute I ordered, that Patrick kindly told me I was holding it the wrong way.....how embarrassing!

Anyway I've stated the reasons why I'm switching and in only a day I've got two songs down pretty good with my Right Hand on top.

For you of the "honorable minority" ..like I posted earlier...I think the system in place gives you the advantage of having your strong hand where it is used more for stabilizing the whistle when you play the Right handed way (Left on top). Read Teri's posts
snoogie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by snoogie »

Well, since I seem to have added fuel to the fire, let me see if I can summarize..and perhaps somewhat quench the left vs. right controversy.

I don't expect anyone to make the choice for me, but here are the pros & cons as I understand them (from a Left handed point of view) :wink:
1) Playing left handed (right hand on top) feels more natural for me. I just tried it the other way, and it doesn't feel right.
2) By choosing (?) to play left handed, this will cause me to either buy left handed pipes, or figure out how to play a right handed set.
3) Playing a left handed set, means that there will likely be fewer people from whom I can buy/borrow/swap with.

Thanks for the posts, I had never considered that there might be a such thing as a left vs. right handed issue and could have headed down a path trying to play a right handed set with a left handed orientation.

While, I don't consider myself ambidextrious, I do a few things rightie, mostly as a survival tactic (scissors for example).

Regards,
Gary
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eldarion »

Okay I'm not a piper but I think I read somewhere that Paddy Maloney picked up the pipes as a main instrument because when he started playing the whistle, he did it right hands tops. Its probably on the C&F interview. I'm told its easier to change your habit if you changed to another instrument.
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Doesn't the unmentionable Davy person play left handed too? :smile:

*Brian Ducks!*
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

I was going to ask a question about lefthaned pipers and found this topic.

Two piper in Belfast aslo play lefthaned pipes is Cormac (Buzz) O' Briain and Geaoge Eggleston.

Other pipers who play left is Davey Spillane , Mick Coyle Grey Johnston Mick Mc Goldrick Eammon Curran. The order pipers is all ready said by Peter Laban.

If there is any other piper playing lefthaned I would liked to know.

The photo on the front page of the An piobaire Aprill 1997 of Joe Shannon is he left player also.

I write with my right and the bodharan, button accordeon guitar right handed but play the pipes, whistle lefthanded .

I began using a loan practice set D which where made right handed and I used the set lefthanded with the the bag upside down until I got a Practice Set D made lefthanded.

When I ordered my Rogge pipes they where all lefthaned C Chanter frist , drones later and then the reg last but when I got D chanter with 1 C key I later needed the G sharp and F keys . When I got the chanter back with the new keys Andreas said that this is a new chanter as the other chanter was righthanded.

Bye for now

Fergus
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Fergmaun

Post by Fergmaun »

The lefthanded piper is Mick Coyne not Mick Coyle
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Andy Conroy was a lefty.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I think there are more different "handnesses" than just left and right.

There is also a leftie-rightie such as me, in which I do things that require one dominant hand (throwing, using a hammer, etc) to do the job with my left hand. Things that require two hands to do (bat, shovel sweep, etc), I do "right handed", that is, left on top of the broom or on the end of the bat.

The only exception I can think of is using a rifle/shotgun. I like to sight with my left eye and squeeze the trigger with my left index.

Therefore, I opted for a "right handed" set, which I actually consider the natural one for me.

My left arm is stronger, the bag requires more work, so, shouldn't it logically go under the stronger arm?.

I know an opposite of me , I call a rightie-leftie, who was wondering why he couldn't play anything right handed when he thought he was right handed.

He sweeps, shovels, bats, etc left handed.

You gotta figure out which one of the 4 possibilities you actually are.
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Jim McGuire wrote:Andy Conroy was a lefty.
That explains a lot ;)
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Joe Shannon plays left-handed (both pipes and whistle) but writes with this right hand! The sets that he played (Hennelly and the Beatty Taylor set) both had chanters blocked for right handed players. The Taylor set was originally right handed; the Hennelly set was made to match a returned practice set made for a right handed player.
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I play pipes left-handed as well (and whistles AND a keyed flute). I cannot even imagine the idea of playing an instrument such as the pipes right-handed. All you righties out there think for a second about what it would be like to try and play left-handed for a second. Probably would feel pretty weird, eh? Yeah, that's how it feels to be left-handed in a right handed world.
When playing an instrument, it is of crucial importance to start out playing with your fingers in the most natural and comfortable position possible. If you're a lefty and you're just starting out, then do yourself and your music a favor and get a left-handed set. As Peter mentioned, any maker worth their salt will make you a left-handed set no problem. Bear in mind that the idea of right-handed regimentation in the music world is a relatively recent phenomenon dating to the start of mass production in instrument making. Some old lefty keyed flutes do exist. There are numerous illustrations of all kinds of fiddle players, recorder players, pipers, etc. playing their instruments left handed. Here in Japan, where the study of traditional music is quite formal and regimented, there are quite a few virtuoso shakuhachi (bamboo flute) players who play left-handed as well.

Do what's natural. If playing with the right hand on top feels best, do it that way and have an instrument made that will allow you to do that. If anybody tells you you're doing it "wrong", tell 'em where they can stick it.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Brian are you really sure about what are you going to do? Some of
the best flute players I know are right handed who play leftie or lefties
who play right handed. There's absolutely nothing wrong on that!
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Tasty looking pesto Michel! :pint:

PD.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Goodmanyerself!!! Do you know what pesto is!
I live in Liguria- the home of the pesto.
www.pesto.net -for those who don't know-