Dangers of aluminium instruments?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I don't believe aluminum to be poisenous unless deliberately eaten.

Perhaps we need to add "Do Not Eat" warning stickers to whistles? :lol:

True stories: I once saw a "no not eat" sticker on the side of a new tire for sale in the automotive section of a department store. Also, a friend of mine named Larry once bought a woodworking router--on the side was the label "Not for use as a dental instrument." The mind boggles at this last. :boggle:

--James
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

My reply to a previous but similar thread on PVC toxicity applies to aluminim as well. It was as follows:

"Fellow Whistlers,

Please, remain calm.

As your veterinarian I can assure you that having a whistle of any kind in your mouth for long periods of time is one of the safest activities you can pursue to ensure good health and long life.

Research shows that having a whistle in your mouth prevents one from poking other potentially deadly stuff in there like cigarettes, beers, hot dogs, red meat, cream cheese, and anything with the prefix "Mc".

Furthermore, active whistling prevents other dangerous activities like, skydiving, bungie jumping, flying on airplanes or driving on Americas highways. It is also nearly impossible to catch a sexually transmitted disease while playing a whistle.

In Summary let me say that America and the world would be a safer place if everyone stayed home and played their potintially-toxic whistles.

**Steps down from peach crate and bows**

Whistle away folks : D

Doc

P.S.

It's also not fattening!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

peeplj wrote:I don't believe aluminum to be poisenous unless deliberately eaten.

True stories: I once saw a "no not eat" sticker on the side of a new tire for sale in the automotive section of a department store. Also, a friend of mine named Larry once bought a woodworking router--on the side was the label "Not for use as a dental instrument." The mind boggles at this last. :boggle:
If a dentist tried to get into my mouth with a router, I don't know whether I'd die laughing or put the boot to his groin.

Very fine aluminum powder is toxic if inhaled. But then so is very fine glass powder, and I've never felt like I was poisoning myself drinking water from a glass. BTW, there was an article in the Washington Post this past weekend about water poisoning. Evidently, a half dozen or so marathoners have died in the past year from it -- it causes an electrolyte imbalance.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

peeplj wrote:I don't believe aluminum to be poisenous unless deliberately eaten.

--James
the thing that really makes me wonder is the fact that most warnings are put in place because someone has tried it.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I remember somebody telling me not to wear antipersperant deoderant because the aluminum would cause breast cancer too. If you listen to the whinging of hypochondriacs, you'll end up living in a plastic bubble. I say: live your life and stop worrying so darn much, or you'll give yourself a heart attack anyhow.

:lol:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

If aluminum was poisonous, they would be making soda cans out of something else by now. The contents of some sodas are probably more hazardous than the container. :D
TelegramSam wrote:I say: live your life and stop worrying so darn much, or you'll give yourself a heart attack anyhow.
Hear, hear.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

So what about aluminum in anti-perspirants?
I've been advised not to use these by
a chiropracter friend. So I don't.
Nobody likes me anymore.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jim stone wrote:So what about aluminum in anti-perspirants?
Nobody likes me anymore.
I use a Thai deodorant stone: a big crystal of alum and some other salts. Would this be on a par with that? It doesn't stop perspiration, just takes care of odor-causing bacteria.

P.S. Jim: I like you just fine. Virtual association has its advantages!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

But you'all are the only people I know now.

Look, is there something to this
anti-perspirant aluminum thing?I want my life back.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I would like to know, myself. Alum? Aluminum? Is there an association here? Any chemist to shed a light?

I haven't been experiencing any neural problqwms that i cna think fo so fra....
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

jim stone wrote:So what about aluminum in anti-perspirants?
Nobody likes me anymore.
Jim

Have you considered the perhaps remote possibility that it has nothing to do with your deodorant?
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

I understand the point about alzheimers issue related to aluminium is that the patients were suffering from kidney trouble,which means they could not discharge their bodily wastes properly. I think the other minerals kept being consumed(because human need them) while aluminium kept accumulating.So,as long as we have good kidney function,I think we have no problem. This all is very very similar to the conclusion which even aluminium makers admit.

Now I want to know if humen need aluminium to live. To find any research telling that aluminium is must-have in human health. I think this is the important point to start with, even this is the issue which is very very difficult to be proven,needless to say that it's far much more difficult to prove something is poisonous. :roll:

My simple conclusion for now is that poeple dont need aluminium to live,but aluminium is not poisonous either. This is where I guess a point of compromise exists. :P
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

[quote="antstastegood"]If aluminum was poisonous, they would be making soda cans out of something else by now. quote]

Only if the something else was cheaper!! :(
glauber

Post by glauber »

The reason they make soda containers out of aluminum is that it's a very inert material, that is, it won't react with the soda, won't rust, for example. For the same reason, it's very safe. For the same reason, those containers will survive all the nuclear wars, and future archeologists will puzzle over a civilization that worshipped hollow cannisters.

Anyway, this thread reminds me some of the warnings in the instructions in http://www.engrish.com; for example, this one (click here).

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Nanohedron wrote:I use a Thai deodorant stone: a big crystal of alum and some other salts. Would this be on a par with that? It doesn't stop perspiration, just takes care of odor-causing bacteria.
Alum stone: natural mix of aluminum and potassium sulfates, if I remember right.
Only remote chemical connection with the inert aluminum oxide we suck to play...

Was common all over Europe in the time of straight ("sabre") razors, as a kind of after-shave. Used moist over the face, it stretches your skin like an "instant lifting", also stops blood immediately on small shaving cuts. I keep a block for that purpose.

Derived products are also used extensively as tanning agent for leather, hemostatic pens... Thus I wouldn't be surprised it's a base in the "dry" antiperspirants.

Dipped in Guiness, I suspect it would tighten a loose bodhrán skin, too...

So... I would agree with the chiropractor and not use it on bats.
(Well, maybe dead bats for forensic tanato-chiro-encryption.)

Not in the armpits. It will most likely contract the skin pores shut. Unhealthy. I don't want me Mummy!

Except, of course, if you're in one of these societies (like Japan, I reckon) where a sweat mark showing through your shirt is a major disgrace... :roll: