So what are you working on???

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Celtoid
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Celtoid »

Red Admiral Butterfly
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Byrne's Hornpipe, Kerry Jig, Shores of Loch Gowna. The last two are challenging for me because of the A and B rolls that are still a bit uneven and because my left hand fingers often play an extra cut without my permission.
Mike
cj

Post by cj »

Haste to the Wedding, Saddle the Pony, and a couple others. Stewy, hang in there on the quitting smoking. I've been smoke-free for 15 years now, and if I can do it, anyone can!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The Sunset = (I believe) a Cathall McConnell tune.

I've some Scoiltrad lessons I need to go back and finish some day ... the Glass of Beer is one I've worked up but just never sat down and got a really good recording of yet.

--James
Steven

Post by Steven »

Salamanca (reel)
Mug of Brown Ale (jig)
Two Rivers (waltz, by Larry Unger)

That's plenty to keep my brain busy at any one time!

:-)
Steven
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

I've had so little time to whistle lately, it seems. But the moments I've been able to squirrel away, I've been working on The Silver Spear, Kesh Jig, and Otter's Holt. Vocally I've been working on Ripe and Bearded Barley and Anachie Gordon. :)

~Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

BillChin wrote: I am also learning ABC notation. A friend of mine performed the following on the piano, and I was able to play and transcribe after a second listen:

Kristy's Gift, Copyright 2002 Denise Fernald
GAB2 AGA2 GFEB AGF2
GAB2 AGA2 GFEB AG2-

The piano version keeps the same main melody, but changes the chords. I improvised the following and am pleased with it.
GAB2 AGA2 GABA GA2-
G/2 F/2 ED2 G/2 F/2 ED2 G/2 F/2 ED2 EGG2

Kristy's Gift is the prettiest melody I have heard in a long while.
Hey Bill,
I'd like to hear this tune, but I don't read ABC yet. Could you (or someone else who knows how) post this in the ABC format that will allow me to copy and paste it to the converter thing on concertina.net? If anyone can, thanks in advance!
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

Hmm: Inisheer, Dallas Skies, attempting at perfecting Be Thou My Vision, and I should start learning that slow jig for the get together. Also working on Rights of Man in my spare time (when I'm searching for something a little harder) and trying to find a recording of danny boy. Oh yeah, christmas carols, I started about a month ago (my family thinks im crazy) but I should have them all memorizied by christmas this way.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Cees, it is easy to learn the basics for the 13 notes. On the tin whistle the pattern is BAGFED, with B the top hole covered, A, top two holes, down to D with all six holes. For Kristy's Gift it is all in the lower octave, upper octave would be lower case letters.

So GAB2 is cover three holes, then two, then one, with the B a half note, twice as long as the first two quarter notes. The rhythm is basic and simple with half notes ending the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd measures (I put a 2 to indicate), all the others are quarter notes. I've written out the first thirteen notes in dots. The second verse duplicates ending one note earlier holding the G.

G xxx
A xx
B x 2 (half note)

A xx
G xxx
A xx 2

G xxx
F xxxx
E xxxxx
B x

A xx
G xxx
F xxxx 2

The improvised ending I have is eigth notes (/2)

G xxx /2 (eighth notes)
F xxxx /2
E xxxxx
D xxxxxx 2 (half note)
repeats three times

E xxxxxx
G xxx
G xxx 2

I left out the third verse dot translation, and leave that as an exercise for the reader.
GAB2 AGA2 GABA GA2-
Cees wrote:
BillChin wrote: I am also learning ABC notation. A friend of mine performed the following on the piano, and I was able to play and transcribe after a second listen:

GAB2 AGA2 GFEB AGF2
GAB2 AGA2 GFEB AG2-

The piano version keeps the same main melody, but changes the chords. I improvised the following and am pleased with it.
GAB2 AGA2 GABA GA2-

Kristy's Gift is the prettiest melody I have heard in a long while.
Hey Bill,
I'd like to hear this tune, but I don't read ABC yet. Could you (or someone else who knows how) post this in the ABC format that will allow me to copy and paste it to the converter thing on concertina.net? If anyone can, thanks in advance!
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

Just got two great Low D's from friends on the board: a Dixon and a Howard. My first Lows. :) :) :)

I'm, of course, starting with some slow aires:

Londonderry
Fairie Child
South Wind
Amhran A Leabhair
Inisheer, etc.

Trying to relearn breath control. :tantrum:

Any suggestions for new Low D tunes???
Seth

Post by Seth »

Okay, you're all gonna laugh at me, but here it goes:

I am currently working on learning the entire fiddle part, and portions of the guitar part from the song "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" on the piano accordian. It started off as a teaching exercise for me, I didn't think I would actually play it with my band. It's just got good solo parts, and chording parts that are easy enough to incorporate. But now I'm really starting to like playing it and may try and convince my band that it's a good idea. That'll be a completely different challenge however.

Seth
pandscarr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

Kenny Gilles from Portnalong

Miss Margaret Brown's Favourite (tricky B part)

Sound of Sleat

(it's interesting to see what everyone's working on!)
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I decided to get out my mandolin and work on some tunes. Lee's March, Little Whiskey, Liquor Seller and Log Cabin. Look for them in the "L" section.

Steve
sbruyette

Post by sbruyette »

Stewtysmoot, the whistle was part of my motivation to quit smoking also. I noticed a notable improvement in my breathing within a few days and breath control with the whistle improved daily. Keep with it the benefits are great.

I am presently working on Off to California and the Fools Jig.
Susan
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Working on a few flute tunes and a few whistle tunes.

For the flute, I moved Reel Beatrice to D minor to see if I could make it work without jumping octaves. It does go up in the marching band octave there for a while. Messing around a bit with Crossing to Ireland. And, to test the limits of patience in practice, I pull out Tommy's Tarbukas.

On the whistle I'm trying to add varied taps, cuts, and other ornaments to tunes I already know well, note-wise. My favorite to work on is Devlin's.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg