Dangers of aluminium instruments?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Baen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dangers of aluminium instruments?

Post by Baen »

So many whistles are made of aluminium-is that a potential danger?There were studies in the past about possible connections with aluminium intake and alzheimers, but I don't think anything was proven about that.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

baen
glauber

Post by glauber »

As long as you play the whistle and don't eat it, you should be ok.
:o
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

unless you're the type who gnaws your whistles, I really wouldn't worry about it. Heck, copper salts are supposed to be toxic, but my serpent and elfsong haven't killed me yet.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

Brass is supposed to be poisonous too
CHIFF FIPPLE

Re: Dangers of aluminium instruments?

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Baen wrote:So many whistles are made of aluminium-is that a potential danger?There were studies in the past about possible connections with aluminium intake and alzheimers, but I don't think anything was proven about that.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

baen
So do you realy think we all would :evil: go ahead making alley whistles ifin they would cause people harm. No we leave that to the car makers. :lol:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

I've heard that delrin mouthpieces have been known to cause WhOA.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

I remember I wanted to reply, but I don't remember why.

What was the question, again?
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

In Japan,back to 1970s,there was a experiment about whether copper salt was poisonous.And it was proven not to be poisonous.In 1980s,this result turned out to be the official view by the Welfare Ministry in Japan.But remember that copper salt can be poisonous if cooking oil or something like that is poisonous.

There are still many Japanese who still believe the copper salt is poisonous(as in US?) because this is relatively a recent issue.

And I don't remember it but there is a apparent fact with experiments which makes aluminium poisonous. But aluminium,with almost no tarnish,makes unique sound,very cheap....well I think this is also a matter of trade-off

I dare to choose brass material because I have these knowledge. From these knowledge,I personally think it's no problem unless the lip part of the mouth piece is aluminium.

Anyway,for example,once anything set off your allergy,anything can be poisonous against you. :roll:
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Wooden whistles give you great big awful lip splinters. And I've heard that those big funny whistles made in Missouri can cause awful concussions if you get hit upside the head with one of them.

People spend way too much time worrying about things when they could be playing whistles instead.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

You know you're alive when you're playing...

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

I start to want to make water pipes all over the world made of aluminium.
To see what happens in 20 or 40 years. :twisted:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Aluminum is a problem if it's made into a pot and you cook acidic foods in it a lot. The acid reacts with the aluminum and you end up injesting more of it than is good for you. Playing a whistle made of aluminum will not have this effect. Don't worry -- it's safe. Just don't use your whistle to cook tomato sauce every week.

:-)
Steven
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Dangers of aluminium instruments?

Post by chas »

Baen wrote:So many whistles are made of aluminium-is that a potential danger?There were studies in the past about possible connections with aluminium intake and alzheimers, but I don't think anything was proven about that.
It was found later that the aluminum in the brains of the Alzheimer's patients was actually in the stain that was used to mark the damaged tissue, so it was just an experimental artifact. This should have been as big a news story as the original study, but for some reason the scientists didn't hold a big press conference about it.

Aluminum forms a very hard, continuous, chemically inert oxide that should prevent any ingestion on the part of the whistle player.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Oh well.....for a long time I have taken for granted that aluminium is poisonous. Good to know this thread. :)

What about nickel? I have heard Yamaha will stop making nickel flute in the future,because they think it is the most apparent among metals that this material will activate allergy.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Hiro Ringo wrote:Oh well.....for a long time I have taken for granted that aluminium is poisonous. Good to know this thread. :)

What about nickel? I have heard Yamaha will stop making nickel flute in the future,because they think it is the most apparent among metals that this material will activate allergy.
I don't know that Al is not poisonous, just that one finding was a result of sloppy research.

As to the nickel issue: I had thought that I was allergic to nickel, because I can't wear sterling earrings. But I CAN wear surgical steel earrings. Surgical steel contains, I think, about the same amount of Ni as sterling does. Of course, sterling also has copper. I don't have any problem with copper, nickel silver, or any kinds of brasses and bronzes, though.

I don't think the constituents of alloys will necessarily cause reactions, because the alloys are SO different chemically and physically from the constituent elements.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.