Be careful with knives...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JohnPalmer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Be careful with knives...

Post by JohnPalmer »

Tonight I cut a big chunk of skin off the tip of my right thumb, again, (it's happened before) while cutting bell peppers for my spaghetti. This was the worst I've ever done, as it took over two hours for the blood to stop soaking the paper towels I had pressed against it.

I'll be fine. This is just a reminder to keep your fingers pointed down and your thumb out of the way!

I should have BBQ'd ribs, instead.

JP
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

John, I'd hate to watch you chopping up ribs with a meat cleaver. :o
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

It's a known fact that musicians hurt their fingers mostly in stupid ways. Congrats JP, you qualify!!!

Julian Bream, the cl. guitarist mangled his arm in an auto accident because he had it resting on the door frame while he motored down the highway. Had to have similar surgery as Les Paul, resulting in having his arm "set" permanently at a playing-able position.

Most times i have hurt or cut myself have been downright embarrassing. Sliced a 1 3/4 gash into my wrist will CANING A CHAIR. With a chisel. Only problem is, you don't really need a chisel to cane a chair. I was just using for "leverage". Missed the controlling tendon by 1/16th of an inch, which would have ended my playing days.
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Yup
Keep sharp and pointed objects away from fools and children

:x As for cutting your self Don't do itit hurts :roll:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Django Reinhardt lost fingers in a stupid--booze induced--but dramatic fire.

He had to develop his own guitar technique to compensate for this handicap.
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

[quote="CHIFF FIPPLE"]Yup
Keep sharp and pointed objects away from fools and children

Yep!
I'm only allowed chunky wooden spoons :boggle:
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Don't even talk about high speed power tools!! The things we go through to bring you folks nice whistles...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

About every 6 weeks to 2 months I cut one of myself with a sharp object, usually in the kitchen. The latest one was last Saturday when I cut four relatively minor slices out of my hands with a new cheese knife my wife had bought. I'm staying away from it from now on.
Mike
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Wow! Quite a week for fingers being cut badly!

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=15183
~JessieD
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Cut fingers are quite common in the piping world from those sharp tools they use to make reeds.

That is why they play with the pads of their fingers.....
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

My first woodworking injury was six stitches in the left wrist from a woodcarving chisel at the age of six.

I had numerous cuts up until I was 12, when I severed the extensor tendon in my left index finger. After that, I developed a "no exceptions" attitude about never NEVER allowing myself to continue a task if I'm not sure my hands are safe. Nowadays, the only injuries I get are minor ones from a cutting tool slipping or cutting through the work and bumping my chisel hand into a piece of wood or something. Now that I've recognized that pattern, it's almost completely stopped happening.

Knock on wood. So far so good. Ten fingers reasonably intact. I worry about my hands every day.

Please be careful, everyone.

Best wishes,
Jerry
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I read a post in a pipe forum once where a guy said he just got his first set of uilleann pipes and he slipped into a ditch and cracked a rib. How do you explain these things? Higher powers are at work here, for better or worse. Ours is not to reason why.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

OMG, Tony, that avatar is funny!
~JessieD
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Well my point about the stupid aspect is that I have worked with a lot of power tools (was a rec. manager for a woodworking tool store once) and I have never hurt myself with em. Carried a pocket knife all my life too and cannot remember ever cutting myself with it. Because I am super careful and I have all these career-ending nightmares about any kind of power saw or especially, routers.

SO it leaves only the really weird injuries. I am super careful in the kitchen. The classic kitchen injury is around Thanksgiving and Christmas when you are REALLY having a good time and get distracted. Burns and cuts. I always say a little prayer that the other Weekender will make it thru the big family dinner without huge bandaids...

Trained chefs can verify this but I have observed that many knife cuts are because: knife is not sharp enough, preparer does not have food and cutting board at right height for their arms. Most often, the cutting board seems too high for correct leverage and pivots.. It's like watching a learning musician who doesn't have the right way to hold their instrument but with worse consequences. I still don';t have the classic chefs way of cutting down perfectly (knuckles forward, tips in) so I DON'T try to speed whilst cutting like they do. Also, really pick out a knife you can hold becuase they do come in different handle shapes etc. What works for one person sure doesn't always work for another. And avoid cheap knives for your own safety.

There can be no distraction with a chef's knife. It's awesome to watch real chefs cut up stuff.
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Jerry Freeman wrote:My first woodworking injury was six stitches in the left wrist from a woodcarving chisel at the age of six.

I
Knock on wood. So far so good. Ten fingers reasonably intact. I worry about my hands every day.

Please be careful, everyone.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Of course I' ve never cut myself at all never done any thing silly with an angle grinder, lathe, milling machine, or any other power tool. :roll:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&