So what are you working on???

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

So what are you working on???

Post by Tyghress »

Repeat topic, I know...but I'm interested.

Continuing on the stuff I've been doing all along, but adding 'Kinnegaad Slashers' (and we all know what I've been calling it) Timour the Tartar, Frieze Britches and Old Grey Goose.

Gonna revisit Christmas Eve because I have 'lost' part three. Bugs me when I have a tune down pat, then after a vacation from it I find I can't do it any more.

At some point I coúldn't do Christmas Eve and Flowers of Edinburg in the same month for fear of starting one and finishing with the other. Now that's happening with Golden Keyboard and Dunmore Lasses. I need to find something to hang my tune memory on to keep them apart.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I've been trying to memorize Murphy's Marathon Hornpipe. Okay, I added the marathon part in to the title, but it's a very long tune. I may play it on the fife in competitions next spring, but not if I can't remember it all!

I'm also trying to keep up with the class I'm taking - Bill Ochs' learning from the masters. I should be there right now, but my 5 year old son is sick and I didn't have the heart to leave him with his 14 year old brother, which is the usual plan on Monday evening.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I am rediscovering breath control, having quit smoking 2 days ago :party:

1/2 of my inspiration to quit has been to better my whistle playing...

I am also working on:
Jig of Slurs - I heard a rousing live performance on mp3.com and it inspired me.

The Red-Haired Mans Wife - I plan to play at a Pub in WV in December and my sister-in-law will be there. She and her red-haired husband got me interested in the whistle (and reinterested in Celtic music) 2 1/2 years ago in St. Augustine, crawling pubs. I sat in with the Irish band at her wedding last June.

Other than that - subtleties, beat, and tone.

Probably start thinking Christmas tunes and carols shortly.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Currently, I've just wrapped up memorizing the nameless slow jig Tony Higgins posted for the SF Bay Area get-together in a couple of weeks (should we call it "Tony Higgins' Fancy"? :lol: ) Makes a nice set with "The Sheigh o' Rye" from _A Dossan of Heather_.

Got it fine on the whistle but on flute my embouchure still comes and goes, and if I mind my embouchure I sometimes flub the fingering - practice, practice, practice . . .

Debating starting "Ballydesmond Polka #2" tonight (to make a set with #1, which I already have down) or work on the section on Irish ornamentation in the Clarke tuturial.

Later:
Working on the Clarke first - "Tarmon's Polka" was so easy I couldn't resist it. When I get "Tralee Gaol" down to my satisfaction I will work on "Ballydesmond Polka #2"
Last edited by DCrom on Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

:boggle: In Search of the Perfect Roll
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

antstastegood wrote::boggle: In Search of the Perfect Roll
Tell me about it.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

There are several MIDIs that I am practicing:
Amazing Grace
Ashokan Farewell
Colors of the Wind
Inisheer

I am also learning ABC notation. A friend of mine performed the following on the piano, and I was able to play and transcribe after a second listen:

Kristy's Gift, Copyright 2002 Denise Fernald
GAB2 AGA2 GFEB AGF2
GAB2 AGA2 GFEB AG2-

The piano version keeps the same main melody, but changes the chords. I improvised the following and am pleased with it.
GAB2 AGA2 GABA GA2-
G/2 F/2 ED2 G/2 F/2 ED2 G/2 F/2 ED2 EGG2

Kristy's Gift is the prettiest melody I have heard in a long while.

As always I work on original songs as they drift in.
+ Bill
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My latest:
South Wind
Drops of Brandy
Rodney's Glory

Plus still working on last group:
Dark Island,
Give Me Your Hand
PJ Herman's Fling
Ellis Island (fling)
Planxty Irwin
Bheirmeo
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Blarney Pilgrim, Crib of Perches, Jackson's Mistake, Seven Stars, and some wonderful tune called the Sunset which may be a composition of someone on the board, but I can't remember where I got it from.

Also I have vague delusions of playing Gravel Walk someday, but for now I'll be content with Winamp playing it.
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Working on the tunes on LE's Video - Down by the Sally Gardens, Britches Full of Stitches, Hanging Out to Dry and Off to California. Plus Ornaments, which I don't quite have a grasp on yet.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Christmas tunes! :D
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

I've been working on my fiddle, trying to nail down a couple of pieces by Peter Ostroushko, an American fiddler/mandolinist, whose songs appeared on the documentary about Lewis and Clark, as also did L.E. McCullough's. I have also been working on trying to play as many songs as I can, from the 120 Irish Tunes, by L.E., for the up-coming session in the bay area.

JP
madfifer9

Post by madfifer9 »

Star of Munster and Ships are Sailing. I keep getting parts of the two mixed up.

Oh, and Cuckoo Quick Step on the fife.

madfifer9
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

A stack of new things on concertina (and whistle) the names of which I forget. The two I remember are 'Oh Love Lie Beside Me' and 'Sullivan O'Moore's March'.

On whistle I'm playing a bunch of new tunes but again can't remember names. Dan Murphy's (O'Keefe's?) Slide. I'm also trying to figure out exactly what Johnny Doran does on Harvest Home and play it on high and low whistle up to speed. And I'm on the quest for the competent roll.

I'm also trying to get a consistent sound out of my first flute.
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

been working on Gravel Walks, Salamanca, Skylark and Atholl Highlanders.

so far I've got gravel walks up to 120bpm and pushing for more, and I've almost got atholl highlanders down except for the pain in the butt B part. the other ones I just started working on, usually I'll listen to a recording until it's thoroughly stuck in my head and then I'll play a couple times through the sheet music to get it into the fingers and finally go into the ritual of playing it 3 times through at whatever speed I can without missing a note at least 4 times a day for about a week.