Feedback on Howard Low D?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Baen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Feedback on Howard Low D?

Post by Baen »

I just bought a Howard Low D, and was very disapointed in the way it sounded. This was even in the notes that it was easy to play, so I don't think it was just my being a raw beginner with low whistles.

I read a review on them, and the sound was called "reedy". I would say that it sounded, as one whistle player commented somewhere, more like "blowing over a coke bottle".

Is it just me, or is it the whistle? Should I just chuck the idea of playing the low whistle, and stick to normal sized whistles? Or should I look at other low whistles? I've heard that Cillian O' Briain makes good low whistles. That's jumping a bit in price, but perhaps that's what's needed.

baen
Last edited by Baen on Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Edit - post no longer applicable as the name of the brand involved has changed.
Last edited by avanutria on Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Baen

Post by Baen »

Thanks for the suggestions--perhaps I'm not giving it enough time. I've heard it said that low whistles are a whole other type of animal, and not one easily tamed.

baen
Baen

Post by Baen »

OOPs---sorry about the mistake. It's a Howard Low D...not a Hoover.

I'll have to make sure of what I write before I write it. Definite faux pas on my part!

I just corrected it--sorry for any toes I may have stepped on.

baen
Last edited by Baen on Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Hey, that's a Howard, not a Hoover, right, or did i miss something?

I have a Howard. It's not one of those whistles that you use to make long mournful sounds that remind people of Stonehenge in the myst, etc. The Howard is a pretty aggressive whistle, and one of the loudest low Ds. It's good for playing fast music, and stands out ok in a session. It's not easy to control either, it takes a lot of air, and has a tendency to squeak and rasp. For a low D that plays itself and purrs like a kitten, try a Burke.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Baen

Post by Baen »

Actually, I was looking for a low D that would sound like "one of those whistles that you use to make long mournful sounds that remind people of Stonehenge in the mist" (very nicely put, by the way).

For some reason, I thought the Howard would be that type of whistle...It's obvious I didn't do enough of my homework. Does the Burke give that melancholic haunting sound? Is that his aluminium whistle, or the wood and resin model?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

More time. Howards are very likeable low D whistles,
in my opinion. Takes some getting used to.

My favorite low D is the Copeland.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Baen, the Aluminum Burke would probably be closer to the sound you're looking for than the Howard. Alba is another possibility. Overton is probably the most famous low whistle.

Maybe the best place to start would be to read the low whistle reviews in the main site: http://www.chiffandfipple.com/low.html

A good place to find a lot of these whistles is http://www.thewhistleshop.com; there are good reviews there too. Another good option is to work directly with the maker; this way sometimes you can get the whistle customized for the kind of sound you want.

Let us know what you end up getting! :)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

I play a Howard low C, not a low D, but if anything that should be worse, not better. The holes are large and therefore hard to seal—I think this must be your problem. My low C does sound reedy and not the way you describe your D. I wouldn't say it's easy to play well though; it takes a lot of work.

For a low D, value for money, an Overton is impossible to beat. My favourite low D is a Copeland but they are pricey. I have a Reyburn I like too, but it has offset holes which are a bit of a pain for me. Each of these has lovely complex overtones and each has its own personality. I don't own a Burke low D but, based on the Burkes I do own and Burke low Ds I have heard, it would also be a very good choice.
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

I like mine for playing fast and loud, if I want something pretty I go for an overton
bjs

Post by bjs »

Consider a Dixon low D. Not expensive, nice sound, easy to play (after a couple of months practice :lol: ), low breath requirement, eerh what else, ah yes easily jumps from C# XXXXXX to A XXXXXX, (sic) eg in Dark Island

Brian
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

1) Are Howard casting dies worn out?

I just visited my friends who have a "Celtic" shop. They had to Howards -- low D and C -- for sale.

I didn't like their sounds (plural...), but after inspection, one detail struck me.
Both mouthpieces had totally rough casting marks, the kind you see on those batches of cheap tin-whistles when the manufacturer kept spitting out heads way past the acceptable wear of the dies.

So, it may be a deffective Howard might need just basic tweaking: cleaning up the windway exit, checking the blade is smooth.

2) Alternative head

I have a hunch that Howard and Kerry plastic heads are interchangeable, maybe with the help of a couple turns of Teflon plumbers' tape.

The Kerry head was recently redesigned, and I found the new model an improvement. It sounds really close to an alloy head, and gives some back-pressure. Fitting it on the more resonant brass tube of the Howard may be interesting.

I understand Phil Hardy supplies these heads separately on request, as an upgrade for older Kerries. Also, it is cheaper than the separate Howard head.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I had one of the early Howard Low D whistles, which I gave away because the tone holes were too large for my fingers and I had trouble sealing. I guess it's true however that the Howard has changed from what some have said here, because the tone of my Howard was beautiful and haunting; I just couldn't get it easily enough. I have an O'Briain Low D and it has a wonderful sound but again the tone holes are somewhat large and it's not one I'd recommend for a beginner; the O/Brain Low F on the other hand is easy to play.

Many say the Overton has that 'stonehenge' sound you're looking for, but for me that sound is achieved most readily and completely in Copelands. You will get varying opinions on this. I haven't yet tried the Burke Viper low D or the new Elfsong Low D or an Alba Low D. Maybe you should consider an easier "low" whistle key first, like G?

Regards,

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have a Howard Low D which I like very much.

I do agree with the "give it time" idea--this is not a whistle you'll be good at playing in only a few months. Then again, I think that's true of any low whistle.

The reach is pretty impressive on the right hand; I can play my Susato low D without piper fingering, but the Howard requires it.

I do like the Howard and enjoy playing it. When I get home tonight I'll try to record a slow piece and a fast piece on it and post them here.

--James
Colin

Post by Colin »

I have a Howard low D for trade if anyone's interested. I bought the thing 16 years ago but it is never used as the holes are huge and I have great difficulty forming a consistant air seal.
From what I've gleaned on this board it would seem the old Howard has larger holes and a greater stretch than most other low D's, however I don't believe most of them were available back in 1987 - unfortunately.
I'd be interested in any sweet/mellow/quiet whistle in Bflat, C or low G.

Cheers,

Colin