Flute Photos!!! Come post your flute pictures :)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Having played both kinds, what I have found is this:

Without the vent holes, the McGee I tried had a very nice resonant "hard D"; however, the balance was slightly different then flutes with the longer foot.

With the longer foot (i.e. Hamilton, Seery), I felt that there was more consistent voicing between the low E and the low D--with the short D foot, the D always seems to "pop out" a bit, rather or not you want it to.

That's my $.0125; your mileage, of course, may vary.

--James
Michel
antispam: No

Post by Michel »

I prefer long feet, as they seem to give a more complex yet rich tone on
low notes.I must tell that mine is a personal and empyrical feeling, as I
don't have any technical knowledge.Low D could seem more vibrant on
short feet flutes, but that not seem to me the right way to go round the
inner problems of the flute.
Recently I've maturated an irrational antipathy against modern makers that
don't follow the traditional profile and feel of old flutes. Maybe I'm becoming
a stuffy reactionary.... :roll: I have to discuss on that with my analyst!!! :oops:
claudine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

and here come my own flutes & friends:
- Besson Meha flugelhorn
- Yamaha 371 flute
- Hamilton blackwood D flute
- Seery Delrin flute
- Dixon piccolo
- Besson Sovereign cornet
sturob

Post by sturob »

Snazzy lip-plate on the Hamilton. Any allergic reactions in your fingers, at all? I seem to recall reading that you'd had big trouble with blackwood.

And is that a native Letzebuergisch blanket in the background? :P

Stuart
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

wow, claudine, Besson flugelhorn & cornet looks brilliant!!
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Stuart,
I never had allergic reactions on my hands. As soon as I understood the origin of my lip reactions, I put the flute away for a while. Now, with the lipplate, there is no allergy-related problem anymore. Except my family's allergy to the neverending flutesounds.
The blanket is american, very cosy and beautifully red (definitely my favourite colour).
Tak,
glad to meet someone who likes good old Besson brass. I only wish I could make them sound as brillant as they look under the flashlight.
U2

Post by U2 »

Henke

Post by Henke »

Very Sexy flute U2. What maker? Looks like new boxwood, am I mistaken on that?

And Claudine, thouse are beautiful flutes and brass stuff. That Yamaha Böhm flute is cool. I have a Yamaha 211. What is that lipplate made off? It looks like gold but I've never heard of 300-series with golden lipplates, only sterling silver.
claudine

Post by claudine »

U2, that's a very beautiful flute.
I hope you don't mind my posting of your pic. This way it's easier for everybody to admire it.

Henke, my Yamaha is just a student flute. Silver head + alloy body, I paid 1070 Euro for it last year. The lipplate is goldplated and the inner head tube is goldlined too. My flute teacher thinks it's a bit better than the older 300 models, or at least different. They call it 371 GL.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Yeah Claudine, just a student flute, but one notch up the ladder from my flute. Mine goes for about half the price. It's all nickel and still play's extreamly beautiful. I'm sure yours must be a real sweety. I checked out the Yamaha website a while back, seen the 900-series? :boggle: All 9k gold or something like that. I wonder how much they cost, I would never want a flute like that! I wouldn't dear touch it fer christ sake :boggle:
claudine

Post by claudine »

It doesn't matter that I don't have enough money to afford such a superflute. The real reason why I can't have one is: I am not worthy.
U2

Post by U2 »

Claudine - Thanks for posting that. I couldn't seem to make it happen. Great pic of your instruments! You liking that Hammy I s'pose.

Henke - It's a Casey Burns lefty he made last year. The keyed piece is slightly lighter in color than the head and foot joint because I initially ordered it without keys. When I decided to go with keys I asked Casey to make one single keyed section to replace the two keyless ones I already had. This allowed me to keep playing that flute while he worked on the new section. Oiling and use have since darkened the keyed piece considerably. I still play the keyless sections every couple of days. The voicing is slightly different between the keyed/unkeyed sections.
claudine

Post by claudine »

The Hammy is certainly a nice flute. But it's a bit hard to play, painful fingerstretch for the left hand. It's also hard to get a strong sound. Probably it's just me, after 2 years I'm still a lousy beginner.
I have been thinking about ordering a flute from Tom Aebi, a boxwood R&R with a few keys. A friend of mine has a blackwood model with small fingerholes and I'm looking forward to try it. Tom said I could come to his place in Basel and try a few flutes before ordering one. The more I look at the pic of your flute, the more I want to have one.
Stan

Post by Stan »

I joined U2 at a session last weekend and indeed he has a loverly flute.
U2 can really make it sing too !
BillG

Post by BillG »

Claudine was kind to me as well and posted pix of my Casey Burns ergonomic Boxwood keyless D flute. Its at Casey Burns Boxwood flute - WOW
BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)