Need for Speed!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

You did well, Orbis, to not let anyone intimidate you. Chances are not many can keep up with you anyway, even with only one year behind your belt as a U-Piper. Some of the more experience pipers have made some good points, and their comments are appreciated. Send an mp3 into "Clips and Snips" so we can have a listen to your progress on the uilleann pipes.
stew
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

I like it when everyone's friendly you learn more :poke: 8)
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Orbis
A quick review of my CDs gives me a few more names to add to Robbie's.

Ronan Browne and Finbar Furey are two guys who have some pretty fast stuff amongst their recordings. Ronan's "the wynd you know" is half slow airs, so might not be your thing. Finbar's Madam Bonaparte is not the fastest on the recording but will definitely impress you with the finger speed...and regs going at the same time.
Eoin Duignan can be pretty quick at times, style maybe more legato.

The fastest set I could find was Séan Potts' CD by the same name, track 13. "Farewell to Erin"....should give your ears blisters.

Gay McKeon is also quick....he's on the Drones & Chanters II, I think.

I might be able to write the notes for the first reel in Séan's set [I can't do ABC] or you could get a CD Slow downer [and prob. get your own personal version of it].

Boyd
janice

Post by janice »

And I thought the pipe board was getting boring......... :P
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

janice wrote:And I thought the pipe board was getting boring......... :P
So...where have you been? With your head stuck inside some book? :wink: You must have something to report on your educational pursuits...
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi Orbis,
On the Mike McGoldrick CD, "Morning Rory", the first track "Jenny Picking Cockles/The Earl's Chair" sounds fast to me, also the CD "First Light" with John McSherry piping, there are some pretty fast tunes. Well they sound fast to me.

Cheers, Mac
janice

Post by janice »

Nice of you to ask Larry! But I'm now OFFICIALLY done for the summer (yee ha) and can concentrate on REALLY important things like practicing pipes. And getting ready for my informal music education/pipe study that I'm gonna do at Augusta and Elkins.........
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Janice...always good to hear someone getting their priorities straight! It seems that acedemics only make one appreciate recreation a little more. :)
john

Post by john »

has anyone heard a version of The Shepherds Daughter that davy spillane plays on one of the tracks on the first afro-celtic sound system album - i thought when i listened to it that it was the fastest playing i'd ever heard - does any else agree?
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Patsy Touhey, Pat Mitchell, Séan Potts, and Gay McKeon always makes my jaw drop. They are amazingly accurate in tempo and getting all the notes in, too.

I think the hottest I ever heard were the Paddy Keenan cuts on "A Celebration of Pipes in Europe". He puts in all of Patsy Touhey's licks plus a few of his own but in a glorius full fidelity recording.

I just play half-fast, myself.
vcolby

Post by vcolby »

Hi All,

Great discussion. My comments.

a) Someone mentioned coming out of the closet as a piper...congrats.

b) Columbia is spelt Colombia, and the people there suffer an awful lot due to attrocities supported by CIA funding of the weaponry down there. Pipers or not, they deserve respect.

c) On the speed thing. Sure, someone can play for speed in the first year, but it will not be clean. As Paul said, experience of numerous senior pipers holds a lot of weight. To take a Canadian example, Ashley McCisaac (fiddler), started playing slowly and worked for fifteen years to play the way he does.

d) Could the author of the question post a sound bite of his fastest song, so the jury can speak. We could all be wrong and find that his speed is clean, precise and crisp. Until then, I remain skeptical.

Cheers,

Novice Piper
Royce

Post by Royce »

ston wrote:over the years, playing instruments differently than the traditional way -- just look at Edgar Meyer, Bela Fleck, or Ian Anderson (of Jethro Tull). All great musicians who have achived some very nice results playing their instruments in ways that were previously unheard.

-David
Except that all of those guys played their instruments pretty much like a lot of other guys had done over the previous hundred years, they just stole liberally from a bunch of styles and put them in a setting that was normally out of context for that style. They weren't innovators so much as just really good players who dabbled in a lot of styles.

Royce