A Little Sneak Preview (Updated With Sound Clip)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

A Little Sneak Preview (Updated With Sound Clip)

Post by raindog1970 »

The R&D on my complete PVC whistles is almost finished, and here's a pic of the current prototype soprano D.
They're not for sale yet, so this isn't a commercial post... but I'm hoping to make the official announcement very soon!
The pic doesn't show it, but the inner bore of the tube is flared at the bell end, which significantly strengthens the 1st octave bell note... there's a little tech secret for all you prospective whistle makers out there! ;)
The pic does show, though not very well, that the tuning joint is at the head.
Although my lower keyed whistles will have multi-section tubes, the tuning joint will always be at the head... I find that to be the best place to put it, and my manufacturing methods make putting it there almost a necessity.
Last edited by raindog1970 on Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Looking good Gary! We can't wait to hear them.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
serpent
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by serpent »

Cool, Gary! What's the mouthpiece made of? Is that black Delrin I see before me?

Look forward to hearing them!
Cheers,
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Looks good, Gary. I may have to get one when they become available.
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Glad to see :o you have been
putting that new lath to work Gary
:lol:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Let me be the fifth one to post congratulations, and to observe that it's amazing that the thread has already lasted this long without someone jumping on your head and accusing you of making a crypto-commercial post!
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Jack

Post by Jack »

Oooooooh. Pretty keyboard. ;-)
serpent

Post by serpent »

Gary, how about putting up a sound clip? Love to hear it!
serp
tcm

Re: A Little Sneak Preview

Post by tcm »

A beautiful job, Gary! And, as I am sure that it sounds as great as a looks, I will second serpent's request - how about a sound clip?

Tom
raindog1970

Post by raindog1970 »

Here's the sound clip for those who requested it.
Please excuse the background noise... no editing was done to the recording in order to represent the actual sound of the whistle as closely as possible.
I chose 'Danny Boy' because of the sustained high notes, and because it has a C-natural in it... which was cross-fingered OXXOOO.
http://webpages.charter.net/raindog1970/Danny_Boy.mp3
Oh, and the only Delrin in my whistles is the fipple plugs... the mouthpiece end is just made from darker PVC than the rest of the whistle.
There is a good degree of variation in the color of the dark PVC I use... most of it is dark grey, but some is lighter, some is almost black, and some has lighter and/or darker streaks like marble.
The variation is just a QC issue with whoever is in charge of mixing in the color where the pipe is manufactured, but it doesn't seem to effect the quality of the PVC in any way... and I think a little variation in the color makes things more interesting, kind of like the variation present in wooden whistles.
Last edited by raindog1970 on Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
serpent

Post by serpent »

raindog1970 wrote:Here's the sound clip for those who requested it.
Please excuse the background noise... no editing was done to the recording in order to represent the actual sound of the whistle as closely as possible.
I chose 'Danny Boy' because of the sustained high notes, and because it has C-naturals in it... which were cross-fingered OXXOOO.
http://webpages.charter.net/raindog1970/Danny_Boy.mp3
Oh, and the only Delrin in my whistles is the fipple plugs... the mouthpiece end is just made from darker PVC than the rest of the whistle.
There is a good degree of variation in the color of the dark PVC I use... most of it is dark grey, but some is lighter, some is almost black, and some has lighter and/or darker streaks like marble.
The variation is just a QC issue with whoever is in charge of mixing in the color where the pipe is manufactured, but it doesn't seem to effect the quality of the PVC in any way... and I think a little variation in the color makes things more interesting, kind of like the variation present in wooden whistles.
Exceptionally cool, Gary! I wonder where you found such a quiet environment for the recording! Mine includes several cats, a parrot, and the occasional baby crying! :D Very pure sound, and you should be mucho proud of that. You've accomplished something I've thus far only heard from Paul Busman! (send me a free whistle now, Paul??).. :D

You have a whistle to be very proud of, my friend!
Cheers,
serpent
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Is the mouthpiece similar to a Sindt? (that would be a good thing) The flair on the inside to strengthen the bell note is a great idea. The Danny Boy Mp3 sounds terrific!
raindog1970

Post by raindog1970 »

jonharl wrote:Is the mouthpiece similar to a Sindt? (that would be a good thing)
Yes, the mouthpiece is very similar to that of a Sindt.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

Royce

Post by Royce »

HeyI'll take one in C and one in D. Sounds like my original susato before they became the recorder-sound-alikes they are now.

Royce

(Unless they're 300 bucks.)
glauber

Post by glauber »

This sounds terrific! Congratulations!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--