Easy Transcribing from CD

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bjs
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Easy Transcribing from CD

Post by bjs »

I just discovered an easy way to get the notes (written down as D, G etc)
from a CD. I have windows ME but would expect any version of windows to work. Simply play the CD and run that wonderful free program Syaku8.exe (get it from http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html ). If you run the amazing slow downer ( from http://www.ronimusic.com/ ) at the same time then plenty of time to write down the notes.
Aren't computers wonderfull :D

Brian
Last edited by bjs on Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanTheWhistleMan

Post by DanTheWhistleMan »

I was just wondering, before I even start considering buying slow-down software, if there is any for free? :D :D :D

Thanks,
Dan
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

DanTheWhistleMan wrote:I was just wondering, before I even start considering buying slow-down software, if there is any for free? :D :D :D

Thanks,
Dan
i know that there is for midi files http://sharewaredirect.tripod.com/karaoke.htm
glauber

Post by glauber »

DanTheWhistleMan wrote:I was just wondering, before I even start considering buying slow-down software, if there is any for free?
There is a Winamp plugin called Pacemaker.
You will need Winamp v2 (not v3).
And also the Digital CD Reader Winamp plugin.

After you get it all installed and configured, it works very well. You can change tempo (speed) and/or pitch independently.

The commercial app "Amazing Slowdowner" has extra features to help transcribing music, though.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

DanTheWhistleMan wrote:I was just wondering, before I even start considering buying slow-down software, if there is any for free? :D :D :D

Thanks,
Dan
Yes there is. I use it every day. There is a free plug-in to Win Amp, which is itself free, made by the same people who make Amazing Slow Downer. Win Amp is a music playing software. Just go to the Win Amp website (I don't have the url with me but you can search Google for Win Amp) and download Win Amp and the slow downer plug-in. You may have to hunt around just a bit to find it. This combination works great. You can also adjust the pitch independently from the tempo.
Mike
orbis

another free program

Post by orbis »

There's yet another program that you might look for, called "Audio Expander," or sometimes it's just listed as "Expander." It's freeware but it's only for Windows.... You might give it a try.....
Tom Dowling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

I have been using a real fine piece of software called TRANSCRIBE, which can be acquired on a free 30 day trial basis from Seventh String Software.

The URL is: http://www.seventhstring.demon.co.uk/xscribe/

I paid the one time $40.00 fee after the trial period and have been using it ever since. When I re-formatted my hard drive, the provider was most acommodating in providing me with my long forgotten account number and a new clean copy. It is easy to install and use. You can get it for MAC or Windows.

Good Luck!!

Tom D.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Thanks for the link, Tom D. !

I see Transcribe! also does slow-downing. It ain't cheap, but looks like all I ever wanted as a software to help practicing.
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

Also, the current version of Windows Media Player (which is free) will slow anything down as much as half speed. It won't, however, adjust the pitch.
orbis

Post by orbis »

Jon-M wrote:Also, the current version of Windows Media Player (which is free) will slow anything down as much as half speed. It won't, however, adjust the pitch.
Unfortunately that only works if you have Windows XP.....:-(
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

For the Windows OS of all flavors, I think you could use Winamp with the PaceMaker Plug-in for free. There is also the LoopMaster Musician's Tool for getting those hard licks down.

How's it going, orbis, got those yelps down yet?
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Roni Music also makes a free Winamp plugin to slow down music.

http://www.ronimusic.com/winamp.htm

Note that this plugin doesn't work with Winamp 3.x. So you'll need an earlier version, which you can find at the following link.

http://classic.winamp.com/

I tried it. It works okay, but I've never liked the Winamp interface. Also, since I'm a whistle rookie (whookie?), I need more help. How about something like, "Okay now he's playing a D?" Or better yet, "Now he's covering all the holes." :)

Brian, how did you get Syaku8 to display the notes when you play a CD? Will it work with mp3s too. I tried it last night, but couldn't make it work.

Lawrence
Last edited by Lawrence on Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Lawrence wrote:Also, since I'm a whistle rookie (whookie?), I need more help. How about something like, "Okay now he's playing a D?" Or better yet, "Now he's covering all the holes." :)
Oh, that's called "listening" and you just need to put in around 7 years of listening (maybe more) to develop the ear to what the player is doing and with what whistle. :o
DanTheWhistleMan

Post by DanTheWhistleMan »

Many, many thanks!
-Daniel

:) :) :)
bjs

Post by bjs »

Brian, how did you get Syaku8 to display the notes when you play a CD? Will it work with mp3s too. I tried it last night, but couldn't make it work.
There is a manu/auto button. Make sure it is set to manu.
Set display to Freq. Var.
Set option sound input to CD

I also had microphone plugged in but that is probably irrelevant.
Yes I just played an mp3 with real player and syaku8 responded.
I hope that helps.

Brian