Help me find Trad Christmas tunes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kar »

I started working on my X-mas carols about two weeks ago. It isn't early at all! I busked last year and had to use sheet music because I was a super beginner and didn't know all the tunes. This year, I'm memorizing them all (about 35). So, no, it's DEFINITLY not too early to start on this.

Remember, it's Halloween then *blink* it's Thanksgiving then *blink* it's Christmas!
littlejohngael
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

LOL! I just saw this thread! Glad it's here. I was tempted to start one. I picked up my low d and started practicing Christmas music last night. Then I told my mother that we ought to do a piano/whistle duet. :o "You'd do that?" lol....shocked her socks off.

Much thanks, Lee, for the cheat sheet!

Little John
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

LeeMarsh wrote:I created this cheat sheet 2 years ago. It gives you the name, key, and first few notes of several carols that work well on whistle.
Lee,

I have a (potentially dumb) question about keys. I'm new and confused. Most of my whistles are Soprano D. I read somewhere that a D whistle will play in the key of G. How do I do that? Do I just use the fingering I'd normally associate with those notes? I noodled around with "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen" from your cheat sheet for a while last night and it kinda sorta sounded okay. (not exactly Mannheim Steamroller, but my wife could recognize it.)

I used this fingering to start.

Does this work or should I wait for my music theory book to arrive from Amazon? :-?
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Lawrence wrote:
LeeMarsh wrote:I created this cheat sheet 2 years ago. It gives you the name, key, and first few notes of several carols that work well on whistle.
Lee,

I have a (potentially dumb) question about keys. I'm new and confused. Most of my whistles are Soprano D. I read somewhere that a D whistle will play in the key of G. How do I do that? Do I just use the fingering I'd normally associate with those notes? I noodled around with "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen" from your cheat sheet for a while last night and it kinda sorta sounded okay. (not exactly Mannheim Steamroller, but my wife could recognize it.)

I used this fingering to start.

Does this work or should I wait for my music theory book to arrive from Amazon? :-?
Start on G (XXX 000), then play up the scale to second octave G, being sure to play a Cnat instead of a C#. You've just played a scale in G major on your D whistle. You can transpose tunes you know in D by thinking of G as your bell note and working from there, always remembering that the C is natural in this scale.

For "God Rest Ye Merry," the easiest fingering is starting on E, so the first few line would be:

EE BB AG F#E D EF# GA B

Basically, what you've got in your diagram there.

Remember it's a single jig, so your rythmn is dih-DAH, dih-DAH. Don't play it with the straight rythmn you so often hear it sung in...it sounds bashy.

Redwolf
Last edited by Redwolf on Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Try the ITM set dance "The Piper thro' the Meadow Straying".

Hard to say which came first: that or "Deck the Halls". It's a dead ringer with a difference.
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Redwolf wrote:For "God Rest Ye Merry," the easiest fingering is starting on E, so the first few line would be:

EE BB AG F#E D EF# GA B

Basically, what you've got in your diagram there.
Not to drive this into the ground, but let me see if I understand what I think you said. By starting it on E with my D whistle, have I transposed it to a different key than Lee shows on his cheat sheet (G)? If so, will this cause grief if I ever play this tune with an ensemble? I suspect that this is a naive question, but I don't want to learn a bunch of stuff wrong and then have to relearn it correctly later.

Lawrence
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Well, it is in a different key than G, but that's because it's a minor tune. E minor, that is. In other words, if the cheat sheet starts with the notes you've given, the key it's in is not G...it's E minor. So yes, you're playing in the same key as the cheat sheet, but no, you're not in G.

If you later play with an ensemble, you may or may not need to transpose a tune (or play it on a different whistle), but it won't be because you learned it "wrong"...rather, it will be because you and they will need to find a common ground. It's just the nature of the beast...when you play with other instruments, you need to find a key you can all agree on. The more you play, the easier that will be.

Redwolf
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

Coventry Carol, a simple quiet tune.

The ABC Tune finder has one version. Looks like it's arranged for guitar. It also looks a bit different from what I recall playing...
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

On my sheet. the Key of G means Key-Signature G (one sharp instead of D's 2 sharps). Which means that on a D whistle you play a C natural rather than the C sharp.
The usual cross finger for C natural on a D whistle is from top to bottom: 0xx000 (or 0xxx00 on some whistles). The C Sharp on a D whistle is 000000 (all holes open).

Hopes this helps you ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

LeeMarsh wrote:On my sheet. the Key of G means Key-Signature G (one sharp instead of D's 2 sharps). Which means that on a D whistle you play a C natural rather than the C sharp.
The usual cross finger for C natural on a D whistle is from top to bottom: 0xx000 (or 0xxx00 on some whistles). The C Sharp on a D whistle is 000000 (all holes open).

Hopes this helps you ...
What's confusing him is that G and E minor have the same key signature. So that tune is actually in E minor, not in G.

Redwolf
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Lee you are a LEGEND,
What a GREAT idea, even at sessions the hardest part is starting off,
I reckon ima gunna copy your idea for all my tunes,
Thanks HEAPS
DAVID
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
bjs

Post by bjs »

I printed out the Coventry carol. is it the case that the top note on each chord carries the tune?

brian
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

That's _usually_ the case.