What are the top 5 greatest ITM CD's of all time?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Liam
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been playing Irish music for years, now I want to learn more about whistles to help teach my kids. Currently I play the Anglo Concertina and B/C accordion.

Post by Liam »

Caj wrote:Some people on this board have recommended the CD by Noel Hill & Tony MacMahon, "In Knocknagree." 1 button accordion, 1 concertina, some dancers, lots of hooting and hollering from the audience. It's a great album, one of my faves.

But a lesser known fact about this album is that there are actually two of them! There's a second CD called "Music of Dreams" with more of the same great stuff, plus some beautiful singing by Iarla O Lionaird. I actually like that one better.

I also love Tony MacMahon's solo album, and consider it a relatively important work in terms of defining the tradition. But then, I'm biased toward free reed instruments.

Caj
I am also biased toward free reed instruments, but it is hard to pick one that would be definitiive. Certainly anything by Joe Cooley, Joe Derrane, Joe Burke, Paddy O'Brien (with or without pulse :)), Jackie Daley, Billy McComiskey, etc is important enough to warrent serious listening.

Bill
Monster
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: What are the top 5 greatest ITM CD's of all time?

Post by Monster »

energy wrote:
Monster wrote:since it's not a band playing like a band would play for an audience.

So my question is, do you want the truely trad stuff, or do you want the band music?
Well, you need to remember I've only 1 ITM CD, I probably will be buying a little bit of everything at first and then wil be able to find what I like after listening.
insert uber smart comment here
mat

Post by mat »

Top of the list...

Tommy Potts, The Liffey Banks.

Soul music.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, how did I forget that one? Depending on your exposure though, hearing it for the first time elicits various responses. The more I play the Trad, the more I "get" what he was doing. One the one hand, a true individualist, on the other, a true product of the culture.

A very haunting record.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Eldarion wrote:Hi,
Ir-trad L conducted a similar poll on the "All time Favourite" albums, the results can be found here:
http://www.irishmusicreview.com/poll1.htm
Quite an interesting list, although they mentioned that less people participated than expected..
That's a fascinating link, Eld, but not of much use to someone who doesn't already know a good many of the CDs mentioned. The one thing that comes out clearly is that there seems as little agreement there as here as to what really is trad. I get the impression that there's a huge divide between those who regard rehearsed stage bands as not really trad at all and those who regard earlier players and styles as now of little more than historical interest.

For my part, I think it would be nice if we could regard the tradition as having fissioned into older and newer styles and judge examples of each according to criteria suited to what their exponents are trying to do. We might then ask people to specify best records in each identifiable style. I think the results would be more helpful and informative than just letting people vote according to their various preconceptions.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Among the top five ITM CDs of ALL time would be my own, of course. I'll let you know when that happens. :lol:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Nanohedron wrote:Among the top five ITM CDs of ALL time would be my own, of course. I'll let you know when that happens. :lol:
You mean we wouldn't just find it obvious? :o
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Wombat wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Among the top five ITM CDs of ALL time would be my own, of course. I'll let you know when that happens. :lol:
You mean we wouldn't just find it obvious? :o
Wombles, to the discerning such as yerself, this wouldn't be a problem. For the one whose taste is all in the mouth, a little help might be in order. :wink:
djm

Post by djm »

Nano wrote:Among the top five ITM CDs of ALL time would be my own, of course.
I already have a copy, and a very fine album it is, too. Actually, I was a bit surprised. I've never seen a CD this small before. :D I don't suppose I could get you autograph it for me? Can you write that small? :lol:

Your biggest fan ever,

djm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Ah, djm, that's a nanotechnology yet in its infancy, and autographing requires the use of electron miroscopes, etc., rendering product costs prohibitive to both producer and consumer at present. Would my best wishes suffice?

And how you ever time-travelled to get it sounds more interesting than any tonal schmaltz I could come up with.

I wanna time-travel, too. :swear:
djm

Post by djm »

All a state of mind, dude, all a state of mind ... and these interesting mushrooms I found in the forest ... :wink:

djm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:All a state of mind, dude, all a state of mind ... and these interesting mushrooms I found in the forest ... :wink:

djm
Aha. I really must get out of the house more often. :wink: