Scotland

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
stefpat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Scotland

Post by stefpat »

I come back from Scotland, a small trip of six days in Alba Country.
Alba = Scotland in galeic language.

My travel, by car:

Glasgow
Loch Lomond
Oban
Mull Island
Skye Island
Inverness
Edinburgh
Glasgow

Great Country....Scotish are warm!
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

It sounds like a great trip; and I can think of a lot of songs about all those places too. I'm jealous!
Lolly
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

I am green with envy!... Ever since I was there in 1974, I've wanted to go back. Instead, I keep watching "Local Hero"... :cry:
Did you take any picture that you will post on your website?
Patrick
stefpat

Post by stefpat »

I will transmit you the web link but I don't have finished....
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

stefpat wrote:I will transmit you the web link but I don't have finished....
Excellent!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Spent a 3-week honeymoon there in 1983; my favorite place on earth so far. Edinburgh was wonderful (we were there during the festival at the end of August into Sept), the Highlands were unbelievable (stopped in for high tea at an august hotel from a bygone age, Loch Marie?), and Skye was eerily enchanted (we were there after their tourist season, and only Gaelic was being spoken; music in the bars was extraordinary). And yes the people were warm, charming, straightforward and beyond helpful (esp the touring Thurso bowling team, from whom I still have a tournament pin).

Wonderful place and you had the extra bonus of Stacey and Alba; I was there just pre-whistle days.

Regards,

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
stefpat

Post by stefpat »

it's Tatoo festival at Edimburgh, just in front of the castle
I tried to play bagpipe.....very difficult
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

stefpat wrote:it's Tatoo festival at Edimburgh, just in front of the castle
I tried to play bagpipe.....very difficult
don't feel too bad about it, for most pipers it takes years become any good at all.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I'm planning on going next year... the World Pipe Band Championships are calling my name. this event is always in mid-August, 2 weeks prior to the Cowal Highland Gathering in Dunoon (the former World Championships) which is always the last weekend of August.

I usually stay in Glasgow which I enjoy. Glasgow's Miles Better is the slogan. Glasgow and Edinburgh have a long standing rivalry which that slogan exploits with a clever double entendre (hint: Edinburgh has the Royal Mile).

Next year there will be a whole piping festival in the week leading up to the Worlds (though not affiliated). The Lowland and Borders Pipers Society will participate and ensure that there isn't a GHB bias. This will be great for the pipe bands from around the world that go to the World Championships at no small expense.

If you're interested in more than Highland bagpipes the time to go is late January and early February when the Celtic Connections festival is held in Glasgow. There are great concerts and the place isn't so crowded with tourists.

It looks like you saw a good bit of Scotland. Next time you'll have to go to Stirling and Pitlochry and over to Perthshire.

Cheers,
Aaron
CHIFF FIPPLE

Re: Scotland

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

stefpat wrote:I come back from Scotland, a small trip of six days in Alba Country.
Alba = Scotland in galeic language.

My travel, by car:

Glasgow
Loch Lomond
Oban
Mull Island
Skye Island
Inverness
Edinburgh
Glasgow

Great Country....Scotish are warm!
How come you don't come and see Me :cry:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
stefpat

Re: Scotland

Post by stefpat »

CHIFF FIPPLE wrote:How come you don't come and see Me :cry:
Sorry, but I didn't have enough time to go to Edderton, I hope so, next time.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

pthouron wrote:Ever since I was there in 1974, I've wanted to go back. Instead, I keep watching "Local Hero"... :cry:
That's so sweet, Patrick! I love that film myself; I have seen it countless times.

My last visit to Scotland was in 1998, on a two week hiking trip with a friend of mine. Everything about it was great, from the people to the nature. Sniff, I wanna go back too... :)

Jens
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Touring Scotland in June with a motorcycle was one of my greatest travel experiences.

Now, I couldn't spend any more over two hours over these (apologies to their dwellers) gloomy cities of Glasgow and Edinburgh. It maybe I just dislike big cities... on second thought, it surely is :lol:

Anyway, I enjoyed much more the human-scale places like Fort William, or of course Inverness; on its fishing port, I could feel almost at home in Brittany. However, their Breton had a funny accent ;)
stefpat

Post by stefpat »

AaronMalcomb wrote:I'm planning on going next year... the World Pipe Band Championships are calling my name. this event is always in mid-August, 2 weeks prior to the Cowal Highland Gathering in Dunoon (the former World Championships) which is always the last weekend of August.

I usually stay in Glasgow which I enjoy. Glasgow's Miles Better is the slogan. Glasgow and Edinburgh have a long standing rivalry which that slogan exploits with a clever double entendre (hint: Edinburgh has the Royal Mile).

Next year there will be a whole piping festival in the week leading up to the Worlds (though not affiliated). The Lowland and Borders Pipers Society will participate and ensure that there isn't a GHB bias. This will be great for the pipe bands from around the world that go to the World Championships at no small expense.

If you're interested in more than Highland bagpipes the time to go is late January and early February when the Celtic Connections festival is held in Glasgow. There are great concerts and the place isn't so crowded with tourists.

It looks like you saw a good bit of Scotland. Next time you'll have to go to Stirling and Pitlochry and over to Perthshire.

Cheers,
Aaron
I visited Pitlochry, very nice village!!!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Stupid question time - Since it's a part of the UK, Scotland (by itself) isn't technically a country, is it?