WTT: What makes a whistle....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

Nanohedron wrote:
DCrom wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Bloomfield, have you noticed the curious phenomenon that women seem to love playing the Flogging Reel, and with relish? It gives me pause.
No, *I* got paws :twisted:

Methinks they're thinking of what they'd like to do to anyone who paws 'em when they play it.

Which they usually do with an instrument. (How do you play with relish, anyway? Food fight?) :lol:
So YOU were the one destined to take the bait! :D
This is (mostly) an Irish music group - not Highland Scots. So there can be MORE than one. :D :D :D

(Manfully resisting the urge to use "bait" in a pun)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

peeplj wrote: Playing recorder is a normal, healthy solitary activity...it's just something we do in private because often we find nobody really wants to see or hear us do it.
By the way, I like recorders just fine, own a few nice ones, and many many moons ago used to play in the Monroe Consort. So there.

Recorder can be solo, but is definitely best with others. My wife and I play in a consort along with another recorder, plus harpsichord and viola da gamba, and when we're clicking it's amazing. Like a mini Baroque orchestra.

By the way, the way whistles work is very simple: it's magic...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I used to play in the Monroe Consort with three other musicians, all of which were extremely advanced players. I was the only student; the rest were faculty. It was a great honor--and quite a challenge to "keep up" with them musically. Many many years ago...

Playing recorder in groups was a wonderful experience. I have lost most of my recorder skills; at that time (mid-80's) I was far more advanced on recorder than I am with Irish music now. When I left college, for years I didn't touch a flute, or recorder, or darn near any instrument...which I deeply regret, as it was to the vast detriment of my abilities.

At any rate, my post was not serious; I was simply extending Jim's joke comparing playing the recorder to other "solitary pursuits." :boggle: :twisted:

The good news is I find Irish music every bit as satisfying as early music and HIP. There is a deep satisfaction to playing this music, and it is an addiction: once you start there's no going back.

I do sometimes miss those soaring, open, ethereal harmonies of the High Renaissance, though.

So...one of the first things we did when we put the band together was break one of the "rules" and start developing melodic harmonies for our arrangements of slow pieces...hence the "Arran Boat" recording that folks still sometimes email me about.

--James
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I am guessing that a r######r makes its sound the same way as a whistle since they are made in a similar fashion.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

NorCalMusician wrote:I am guessing that a r######r makes its sound the same way as a whistle since they are made in a similar fashion.
Not. Playing r*c*rd*r requires a pact with Satan. Trust me on this.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ peeplj
Jim, that's just a myth! Playing recorder doesn't make you go blind, either.
Playing recorder is a normal, healthy solitary activity...it's just something we do in private because often we find nobody really wants to see or hear us do it. Most musicians don't admit it, but polls tell us almost everybody does it.
serpent

Post by serpent »

Cranberry wrote:Quote @ peeplj
Jim, that's just a myth! Playing recorder doesn't make you go blind, either.
Playing recorder is a normal, healthy solitary activity...it's just something we do in private because often we find nobody really wants to see or hear us do it. Most musicians don't admit it, but polls tell us almost everybody does it.
Cranberry, you are a scream!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!

:D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Hi Steven

For those with physics in mind...
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/fluteacoustics.html

As a "Laymans Explanation" for how a whistle embouchure works...

Air is compressed into "Semi-Laminar Flow" by the decreasing windway, it then passes out of the windway and across the open "window" to strike just above the lip of the Labium Ramp. This causes a vacume or "siphon effect" just below the window. As this internal vacume increases, air begins to rush up the resticted bore, from the bottom(or nearest open tonehole), to fill this vacume.

When the leading pressure wave from the inrushing air reaches one quarter of the way up, the vacume below the window becomes so great that it pulls the airstream down into the whistle and under the lip, quickly filling the vacume and then compressing the air under the window.

The resulting pressure wave rebounds off the fipple face and is sent down to meet the inrushing wave at the halfway point. The opposing pressure waves rebound off each other and the returning upper wave pushes the windway airstream back out/above the lip to start the cycle all over again.

It lacks finesse, but it is accurate. Help me out guys, have I missed something?
T.H.
Last edited by Thomas-Hastay on Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
dkehoe

Post by dkehoe »

Ok, here's my take on this. First of all, the airflow in the windway is not laminar - the Reynolds number is too high. What you have in a whistle is a turbulent jet of air coming out of the windway and into the relatively stagnant air in the window area. Any jet of fluid (and yes, air is a fluid) entering a stagnant fluid will set up a alternating series of eddies called a Von Karman street (why it's called a "street", I have no idea). The frequency of these eddies is determined by the Strouhal number. As these eddies hit the blade, the eddies on the bottom of the blade temporarily increase the pressure, and when the eddies are on top of the blade, it decreases the pressure. This is what leads to the "edgetone". The edgetone increases with increasing velocity of the jet.

A pipe, however, can't vibrate at all of those frequencies, because it is a tuned cavity. When the edgetone is some multiple of the pipe frequency, then the pipe vibrates and the whistle sounds. If you blow harder, the edgetone goes up and eventually the pipe jumps to the next octave.

For more on this check out:

http://www.nmol.com/users/wblocker/

D