round, bright sounding whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lilymaid
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

round, bright sounding whistle

Post by lilymaid »

I like Clarkes because they're kind of nice and airy sounding, which is good for slower tunes and great on sad ones, but I'd like a brighter, rounder sounding whistle for faster things. Preferably not too expensive and not squeaky. Not plastic would be good but might be too much to ask since I don't want an expensive one either.
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

OAK!

If it is squeeky...it's the player's fault...for not tweeking it, and for not ordering about 5, so you can get a good one.

JP
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

I've got a Clare in Brass and it's all good. I hear Nickel ones are better for faster tunes, though, never tried it myself.
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
glauber

Post by glauber »

For a pure and bright sound, my recommendation is Sweetone or Jerrytone. Or Water Weasel if $70 is within your price range. Mack Hoover's whistles also come to mind, but my experience so far is with his quiet whistles only; i'm sure the louder ones are very good too.

One more... just thought of it. "O'Brian Improved". He takes a Feadog and reworks the voicing. About $35 at The Whistle And Drum. Exceptionally fast and great sounding whistle, with the kind of chiff that i like.

The problem these days is not finding a good whistle, it's getting one of the so many options and sticking with it long enough so you learn how to play it.

The Weasel and probably the Hoover are going to be louder than the cheaper alternatives, but in terms of sound, any one of these should keep you happy.
Last edited by glauber on Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

However a Hoover CPVC? Not too expensive.
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I think Oaks are a good bet, or a Generation or Feadog.

The Elfsong is still my top pick, but they're like 75 bucks. I think they're worth it, I haven't had the desire to buy another whistle since getting one last summer. :P
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

A good Generation would fit the bill but be prepared to buy several and be prepared to tweak.

If you are going to pay more I'd recommend a Syn. If you are going to pay even more, I'd recommend a Sindt which is the cheapest outstanding high-end whistle. It's in a different league from other whistles in its price range, as is the Burke if you want to spend a bit more again. My Syn is a very early prototype which I haven't yet sent back to Erle for upgrading, but I'm confident that it beats anything in its price range hands down too.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Susato. Too bad it's plastic.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Ridseard wrote:Susato. Too bad it's plastic.
... and sounds like a recorder! :)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Oak.

(I recently bought a really nice one. I tried every one in the store first. Nice clerk! There's a little tab in the lid of the plastic box that fits into the mouthpiece and keeps the whistle facing forward in the box. Don't forget to put them back in place).
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I have two favorites for cheapie whistles. Clarke classic and Dixon non-tuneable. When I want to just have fun, I reach for the Clarke. If I want to play a little faster, or to sound out a little more, I go for the Dixon.

I would characterize the sound as round, pleasant, full, and carrying. Susato (I do like mine, by the way) is more penetrating and cleaner in tone. I regard Dixon as being a fine choice for what you are wanting. Take my advice with a grain of salt, though. I have never played Oak, I don't tweak my whistles, and the only Sindt I have played was a Bb.

Oh, you will want to know that the Dixon is plastic. But it doesn't sound plasticky. Actually had a real flautist surprised to learn it was plastic, once. She assumed from the sound that it was wood. But it doesn't sound like my actual wood whistles. Huh. Go figure.

-Patrick
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

I go along with the Syn. Best whistle for the money bar none. You might also like a Jerry tweeked Shaw. One of my favorites. Since I got into the flute thing I have gotten rid of most of my "high end" whistles. The only one I have left is my Parkhurst combo D/Eb. Best Eb whistle I have ever played. A Syn combo D/Eb which is exalent and my set of Gens. I still have my Oak which I bought 25 years ago and have been fidling with it for almost a year now and am still not happy with it. They are all great whistles once you get to know them. I do miss my Hoover cpvc. That was an exilent whistle also just what your looking for sound wise. Anyway buying whistles is great fun and you can`t go wrong with any of the whistles mentioned so far. In my humble opinion that is.

Tom
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

The first whistles that come to mind keeping in mind your parameters (full bright sound and responsive) are those in the mid-range pricewise - Burke, Elfsong, and Sindt. All three are great whistles, and I think the Elfsong and Sindt are about $75 and the Burke about $120. (I say mid-range because of the really highend Copeland, Abell, and Schultz for example).

I'm sort of in the minority on the Board when it comes to the cheapies - I do not like Sweetone, Oak, Syn or Shaw and am not that crazy about the improved Feadog. I actually like the Clarke original, gens, and Walton.

Have fun!

Regards,

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I started with a Clarke Classic C. A Walton makes a nice complimentary whistle. I describe the Walton as brighter, and louder, and that is before reading your post. According to the tuner program', my Walton came out of the box a bit too high in frequency. Loosening the fipple and sliding it back 3mm, made it closer to true. My Clarke is almost dead on as far as being in tune.

The WhistleShop pairs a Clarke Sweetone with a Clare in a starter kit because the two whistles are different. Clares do not get much mention, but the folks at the Whistleshop could have choosen any starter whistles for the kit.

' free tuner program (for PC with microphone)
http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html
cj

Post by cj »

I'll go along with the recommendations for the Improved Feadog, Sweetone/Jerrytone, and Susatos (I like the VSB better in key of D).