whatcaps fit what barrels?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mack.Hoover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

whatcaps fit what barrels?

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Possibly venturing into treacherous waters I pose this answer:
"I don't know!"

But I ask for help in finding out.

My collection of commercial whistle is too scant for a complete answer.

I am willing to trade for unwanted ones of any or all makes.

Mack
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Works on Generation, D or Eb! :D
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Doesn't fit my Oak, Generation, Clark--obviously (sorry), 15 year old Feadog, but does fit my tunable Claire, the best, and my Mel Bay, rather loosely.

It is an extreeeeemly nice mouthpiece. Did they change its name?

JP
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Wish I could get mine to fit my modern Feadog, Mack. I have worked on the barrel, but it is still really too tight to use.

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Doesn't fit my Gen Bb... the only other plastic mouthpiece/metal tube whistle I presently have.
Reasonable person
Walden
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

It's a really tight fit on my Oak, but is perfect on my Gen D. The Gen sounds better anyway.

And, I think these type posts from makers are fine. Where else could they get such feedback?
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I had no difficulty getting a whitecap to fit on my Oak D.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
zoie

Post by zoie »

The whitecap fit both my Gen Ds and my Feadog but wouldn't fit either of my Oaks.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Doolin 2 piece D, clare 2 piece D, generation nickel Eb, feadog D - don't know which version, I bought it used and post-whitecapped. Best whistle I ever bought, too.

You can also make interesting slide whistles / birdcalls by putting a mouthpiece into a fist or clasped hands.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

My whitecap fits my brass Gen, Feadog, Clare. It would not go on an Oak or a bright yellow Feadog because of the thickness of the paint. I like the transformation the whitecap performed on my brass Gen D, very nice sound.
Mike
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Hmmm...I wonder why I had not trouble putting a Whitecap on my Oak, when others (most others, it would seem) have had problems? In my case, it just slipped right on as though it had been made for that shaft. Difference in Oaks? Difference in Whitecaps? Just dumb luck?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

After posting that my Whitecap would not fit my old Feadog, I decided to work on it. I took ROUGH sandpaper, and sanded the top of the tube, following up with steel wool to get rid of the scratches. One hour later, I have a Feacap which works quite well. I have never kept a whistle in the car, but this one is perfect. All of the limitations of the original whistle are gone.

Thank you, Mack.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

fits on a my walton as well - but, of course, not on the mellow walton. i prefer it on my feadog though. quite good.
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

Redwolf wrote:Hmmm...I wonder why I had not trouble putting a Whitecap on my Oak, when others (most others, it would seem) have had problems? In my case, it just slipped right on as though it had been made for that shaft. Difference in Oaks? Difference in Whitecaps? Just dumb luck?

Redwolf
I had no problem fitting one on my Oak either. It may be that the Oak has changed. Mine is about 20 years old. I wound up putting the original mouthpiece back on for sentimental reasons, since this was the first whistle I ever got.
Angelo
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

I put a Whitecap on a Feadog D tube a few weeks ago. Took just a little emery cloth to remove the glue and varnish from the top of the tube and it fits just fine. Plays soooo.. much better than with the original Feadog head.

Tried the Whitecap on a Waltons D tube but the tube was too big. Sanded (a lot) and the tube went in about 1/2 way. Sanded some more and the tube went in about 3/4 of the way. Gave up. I now have to use teflon wrap to get the original Waltons head to stay on its tube. No loss, the Walton sounded like poop before the sanding and it stills sounds like poop. The Whitecap/Feadog is now my favorite whistle anyway.

I just noticed that tomcat said he had no trouble getting it on his Walton. I purchased my Walton in Ireland a couple of years ago. Could there be a difference in tubes sold there versus here or, is this a difference in manufacturing runs or a difference in Whitecaps?

Anyhow, I'm glad I've got one and hope Mack makes them available for lots of other tubes.
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin