On-Topic and not a poll: practice whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
StewySmoot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

On-Topic and not a poll: practice whistles

Post by StewySmoot »

OK...

Most every night I sit down and practice with a select group of MP3s (note to myself: make "what are your favorite practice MP3s" when things get too off-topic a topic ). I am looking out at my favorite whistles and looking over (over-looking) the pile of non-fav whistles that is in my collection of whistles that I play when I pratice...

The 5 whistles I have out and play when I practice are (in no order):

Chieftain Low D (I have grown to love this instrument)
Chieftain Soprano D (it's like the Low D. You need to "talk to it" special)
Copeland Soprano D (my 51th birthday present)
Waltons C (Amazingly in tune without tweaking)
A Jerry Freeman (He knows what he made. Ask him what it is. Hint : I would sell evey other whistle before it, dog-chews and all)

In my computer bag, which goes everywhere with me is a Dixon tunable C/D.

These are the regular bunch I play.

We all have WHOA. What do you play, apart from your favorite...
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

One reason I've started selling off whistles is that it finally occurred to me that there are only a few that see much play.

The most-played at present (it changes some over time) are:

Hoover Whitecap D on an Acorn body
Silkstone PVC Green
Parkhurst D
Sweetone D (in car)
Dixon Low D
Believe it or not, a Melody Flute in C
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I just play the same favorite at home (Burkes) as onstage. I am close to selling the lot that I don't play but when I think of everybody here and their vast collections, I feel like a sinner for thinkin' it. Sometimes I will play the chieftain low A because it takes so much air that when I return to the Burke I have more lung power...
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i have some cheap gens and bamboos(2.5$each) to find out in wich key a tune is in, i have no other use for them.

i only play -burke high DBPS
-burke composite low G
-burke composite low D EZ

and i don't have any WHOA :)
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Re: On-Topic and not a poll: practice whistles

Post by Walden »

StewySmoot wrote:We all have WHOA.
I don't.
Reasonable person
Walden
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I do have WhOA, but I really do play most of my whistles. I don't play the low-D's much since I've taken up flute. Don't like the key of F or Eb, so I don't play those. Of my D's, the only ones that get very little action are Weltmeister and Sweetheart.

When I plan on playing for awhile, I pick out 2 or 3 whistles unless I have the urge to play in an odd key.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Elfsong Soprano D (my favorite whistle ever! *warm fuzzies*)
Serpent Polly D, recently
Serpent Copper D
Generation brass D occasionally
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Interesting post.

I don't have a set of practice whistles, just the ones that I play all the time and I don't have WHoA. I simply can not afford it.

Whistles are like golf clubs. Those that take it seriously don't have a practice set and a tournament set. They practice with the ones that they earn their living from. They learn what they can do with a certain club and can not do with that certain club. They learn it on an intimate basis. The club or whistle becomes an intimate part of them.

I gave away a bunch of whistles to someone on this board that could use them, they are happy and I don't miss the whistles and am happpy that they are happy, although Emmanuel Kant says I shouldn't be.

I do have to purchase a Low A whistle to accompany some singers and that will be my last purchase.

What do I play regularly?

O'Riordan concert set C/D in cocobolo which I have had for nine years.
Burke Brass Pro D
Burke Low G

And one flute.

I very happy with those.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I usually grab one of these:
Clarke original (high) C and D
Burke lo A composite
Burke lo G AL-PRO
Burke lo D AL-PRO

I have a ton of others lying around the house/vehicle that I pick up and play a little when I happen to spot them and have a minute or two.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Right now I am playing mainly my Hoover Whitecap on a Gen tube.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

The ones I ALWAYS reach for:

Copeland soprano (ns) D
ABell soprano (delrin) D
Burke Black Tip soprano D
Elfsong soprano D
Abell (blackwood) Bflat
Copeland G
Copeland Low F

For whatever reason, I don't reach for C that often, but when I do it's Sindt or Walton Golden Tone.

I guess I should consider selling the rest...

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

4 favorite Ds. Man, just how many arms and lips do you have? :lol:

Reminds me of McScrooge rolling around in his bank vault of bills and coins, but in this case its Phil with a luxurious assortment of fine tooters.

Signed with envy,
TW.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Every man has a vice....this is just one of my many....aye me hearties, heh :twisted: , heh, heh, heh!
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

My WhOA went away after I found the sounds I was looking for. I think that it was really just a matter of obsessing about finding the right whistles for me, not about buying every whistle out there.

I have one low D and that was the right one for me, from the start. A Chieftain. I played a Chieftain high D and didn't like it one bit. But the low is great.

I also have a Chieftain Bass A, which is more for the wowza factor than anything else. Still, it sounds great.

For my reach-for whistles, I have a Clarke D, a Dixon non-tuneable D, a Generation nickel F (obtained in a trade on this board - and worth twice what I traded; it is a real gem), and a Sweetheart blackwood C.

I do play other whistles now and then. I keep a Meg in the car for stoplights and to have a whistle wherever I go. I have a bunch of cheapies and some very nice whistles, too. The Elfsong just feels a little too heavy when I reach for it, so it sort of sits. The Tully has to be assembled when I take it out of its case, which makes it less of an impulse whistle.

Ultimately, I suspect that the really good players here know what sound they want, find it, and stick to that whistle. I didn't know what sound I wanted, so I bought/traded/was given a bunch of whistles and finally found the sound that suits me from among them, then lost interest in collecting. Wish I could afford to do that with bagpipes.

-Patrick
Kar

Post by Kar »

It's odd, but the whistles I *think* I will play aren't always the ones I end up playing. For instance, I love my Shaws (a couple are currently on hiatus at the Jerry Freeman Tweak Shop) but I don't play them every time. What do I ALWAYS reach for?

My Dixon A. Hands down THE whistle I play the most.
My Dixon Bb/G/high D as backups
My C/D just-temparment Reyburns

And my favorite whistle in the world (even though the C-nat tuning is off quite a bit if you cross-finger), my Frankenwhistle D, which is an LBW head and an unknown body. I love the sound of this whistle. And the ironic thing is, I got it for FREE (traded a board member--we each had Frankenwhistles we didn't like). I spend all this money on whistles and the one I like the most was a free reject. Go figure.