Olwell boxwood: lined or unlined?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Olwell boxwood: lined or unlined?

Post by chas »

I just had a long chat with Patrick Olwell. I hope to graduate to a bigger-sound flute in the next couple of years, and figure I need to get on the list soon. He makes three styles of headjoints in boxwood: fully lined, partly lined, and unlined. Does anyone have experience with lined vs. unlined boxwood? I'd kind of like a flute that "barks" a little bit, which would indicate the lined head. But I'd like to keep the buttery sound of box, which would indicate unlined. A slide would be nice but not totally essential, so half-lined might be best. Does the lining change the character of the sound or just focus it a bit more?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Good question. I know a lady who plays a lined Olwell boxwood, and while capable of strong tone, it's quite rich and buttery to my ear. She gets "honk" out of it when she wants it, and that's pretty buttery, too, if that doesn't sound too contradictory. As I recall, Pat has a preference for lined heads on his instruments.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I prefer the unlined boxwood, but if you like a tuning slide, I'd suggest partially lined. Boxwood has a very special sound (and smell).
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Lined, of course!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

Unlined, of course!
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

Partially lined!
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

On the other hand, my dog is unlined and she barks just fine. So maybe unlined. I think we need a poll!
--Wellsprings--
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Glauber, go to your room.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Now that Glauber has gone to his room we can talk. I have both fully lined and not lined flutes. The Dixon rosewood is unlined and yet can be made to honk if one is inclined. The Lehart which is fully lined I think is more versital in timber and voice. Not to mention LOUD. My old German 8 key is fully lined and is very hard to honk. Its an Eb and is mostley mellow and pure. But it will buzz if you push it. I like the idea of a tuning slide so I would be more partial to lined heads but I could change my mind in an instant. I guess you would just have to get your hands on any of them and try them out.

Tom
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I'll be getting some headjoints from Peter Noy to compare soon. One will be unlined. The wood will be blackwood, though, so the boxwood perspective can't be addressed, unfortunately; still, maybe a review could shed some light on this if Peter OKs it.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

If it were me I'd ask Patrick what he prefers
and take that seriously. Best
Steven

Post by Steven »

Chris Layer (awesome flute player in NYC) plays an Olwell boxwood flute (6 keys) with a lined head. He gets some fantastic sounds out of it -- pretty much any type he wants. I've gotten my lips on it a couple of times, and I nearly melted from the beautiful sounds that came out of it. Warm, buttery, and gorgeous, but still quite powerful.

Man, that is one nice flute....

:-)
Steven
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

I haen't compared lined and unline boxwood flutes, but have played lined, partially lined, and unlined blackwood flutes. All of them could "bark". I think the primary difference betwen unlined and lined that I noticed --YMMV -- is that the lined heads are maybe slightly brighter, and a little more responsive. Some people claim they're louder, too, but I dunno. The unlined heads had a slightly woodier tone, a bit darker.

My McGee has an unlined head, and I like the sound.

Good luck!

--Aaron
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I've got an unlined Olwell Flute in Boxwood. It's a RR small holed Flute. It is a modest barker. I don't really need to have it bark as I play this Flute for solo stuff, mainly 18th century tunes.
If one were playing alot in Irish sessions, a bigger holed instrument would give you that honking sound, and of course a lined headjoint to tune in a somewhat wider range. It just depends on what your doing. Of course having 2 instruments with these different qualities would be great.
I think alot of people feel they must move up to a big session Flute (RR or Pratton), when what they really need is a small holed RR Flute.
So as I see it....playing ALOT of sessions....get a lined Pratton or bigger holed RR Flute ( big lungs help)
Kitchen Table Player, solo or with a couple other musicians....get a small holed unlined RR Flute ( minimal breath requirments)
and yes only get Boxwood, once you've had it you won't go back!!
also consider having a nitric Acid wash on the boxwood to give it a nice patina!
Ben
Last edited by Ben Shaffer on Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Boxwood smells great, as mentioned earlier.