OT: Just curious . . . .

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sara
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: Just curious . . . .

Post by Sara »

I'm noticing a great many OT posts, in particular the poll/discussion on religion. Is it not thought that the two topics that will generate the most debate, and sometimes arguments, are religion and politics?

I see the religion thread has gotten 110 replies, which leads me to wonder why a thread on religion, would be allowed to stay, yet a post about politics was locked. Could it be perhaps it was locked because it proposed the idea of Bush a :o Fascist?

I smell hypocrisy . . . .
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
Marko

Post by Marko »

no-one has attacked anyone elses beliefs in the religous thread, its been an informative exchnge of info.
there's nothing wrong with political threads, but when they degenerate into attacks on people and their beliefs, they gotta be locked. simple as that.
Marko

Post by Marko »

besides, there have been religous threads locked in the past (although it think it was in relation to seperation of state and religon)
madguy

Post by madguy »

Good point, Marko.
It seems to me that most of the time when religion is discussed on this board everyone seems willing to listen to everyone else's viewpoint, no matter how opposed they may be to that belief. But when it comes to politics, it doesn't take too long for the gloves to come off.

~Larry
Sara

Post by Sara »

Unless my memory escapes me, my thread didn't generate any heated discussions regarding politics. The majority of the replies basically just said that I tend to post off-topic discussions and never really post about things related to pennywhistles.

The bottom line is that if off topic posts that are likely to generate arguments are locked or deleted, all of them should be. A thread regarding politics shouldn't be locked when a thread about religion is allowed to stay. It's hypocrisy.
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Sara wrote:Unless my memory escapes me, my thread didn't generate any heated discussions regarding politics. The majority of the replies basically just said that I tend to post off-topic discussions and never really post about things related to pennywhistles.

The bottom line is that if off topic posts that are likely to generate arguments are locked or deleted, all of them should be. A thread regarding politics shouldn't be locked when a thread about religion is allowed to stay. It's hypocrisy.
You're right. The problem in your thread must be everybody else.
Reasonable person
Walden
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Sara, your thread wasn't locked merely because it was political.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Your post was locked because, as you admitted, you were playing li'l ms. activist. The *intent* is what got it locked, not the subject matter.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Caj

Post by Caj »

Sara wrote:Unless my memory escapes me, my thread didn't generate any heated discussions regarding politics. The majority of the replies basically just said that I tend to post off-topic discussions and never really post about things related to pennywhistles.

That thread was heated the moment it was opened.

It began with a link to a piece of political spam, indeed one that claimed the US president was a fascist, like Adolf Hitler or Benito Mussolini---really just a step away from calling the prez a child molester, a serial rapist, or a werewolf.

It wasn't locked for being off-topic, it was locked for being what we call "flamebait."

Caj
Caj

Post by Caj »

Sara wrote:The bottom line is that if off topic posts that are likely to generate arguments are locked or deleted, all of them should be. A thread regarding politics shouldn't be locked when a thread about religion is allowed to stay. It's hypocrisy.

"Hypocrisy" does not simply mean doing one thing but not doing another, similar thing. There is no reason why it would be hypocritical to lock a really nasty thread while not locking some other, non-nasty thread.

Caj
madguy

Post by madguy »

Caj, you fellow Jersey dude or dudette!! You hit the proverbial nail on the head Any thread that starts off as a potential "flamer" should definitely be locked

~Larry
Alcona

Post by Alcona »

Salutations all, This is Alcona's husband. Sorry couldn't resist saying a few words.
Define Fascism: Oppressive, dictatorial control. These are broad words that have many meanings. They are words that are thrown about instead of a logical and pragmatic debate. Sound bites, if you will. Critical thinking suggest that one word or phrase isn't a true judge or measure of an ideal.
By bringing up a topic that has been locked and using the same broad rhetoric it seems to be another way to force your certain ideals on this forum. Now, Sara, I'm sure you have a good reason to your line of thinking and that should be heard. If you want ot have a debate on President Bush I sure it would go farther and not get locked if you didn't use broad and unsupported words. I like most people enjoy a good debate of ideas. It is a good learning experience and keeps all of us from remaining ignorant.

The remarks above are the responsibilty of the author and do not necessarily reflect views and/or beliefs of Alcona-My all Knowing and beautiful Wife.
Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.
http://www.pbase.com/ejcsnapdragon
http://www.pbase.com/hamishcraig/jills_pics2
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thank you.
glauber

Re: OT: Just curious . . . .

Post by glauber »

Sara wrote:I'm noticing a great many OT posts, in particular the poll/discussion on religion. Is it not thought that the two topics that will generate the most debate, and sometimes arguments, are religion and politics?
That's how it is in the US. In Brazil, it would be sex and football. Ooops, that's the same thing, isn't it? :D
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Re: OT: Just curious . . . .

Post by glauber »

Sara wrote:I'm noticing a great many OT posts, in particular the poll/discussion on religion. Is it not thought that the two topics that will generate the most debate, and sometimes arguments, are religion and politics?
There's also a spelling thread and another one that seems to be dedicated to dog pictures!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--