whitecaps

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
silverton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

whitecaps

Post by silverton »

A quick review of my two new whitecaps...

Got my D whitecap from Mr. Hoover a week or so ago and got my Bb today. Wheeeeee!!!

The D is exactly as I have seen described on this board. Very quiet, and just the sweetest little tone you ever did hear. Takes so little breath, it feels like I'm holding my breath when I play it.

Now, this Bb... WOW. It's the most accurate, quick, responsive whistle I've played. Absolutely nails every note, every ornament, every time. It's weird, I've not had this experience until now. It's like I can play this thing twice as fast as any other. No squeaking, no octave flipping, it just goes exactly where I want it to go, and now.

One more thing, Mack's customer service is top notch. He took VERY good care of me, in spite of a dumb Paypal mix-up. :evil:

Thanks, Mack, for the excellent products and service.
AngeloMeola
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

I'm a big fan of whitecaps too. I started with a D and then got another D mouthpiece and put it on a Clare 2-piece tube. I just got the A and fell in love with it. If anything, it is more responsive than the D. Maybe the larger holes have something to do with it.

The 3/4 inch diameter looks like it would take a lot of air, but it is as easy to play as the D.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: whitecaps

Post by anniemcu »

silverton wrote:...Now, this Bb... WOW. It's the most accurate, quick, responsive whistle I've played. Absolutely nails every note, every ornament, every time. It's weird, I've not had this experience until now. It's like I can play this thing twice as fast as any other. No squeaking, no octave flipping, it just goes exactly where I want it to go, and now...
Not familiar with the White Caps, but my Bb is certainly my favorite - it seems to be the one that fits the best, is easiest to play well, and is such a great pitch - almost low, not piercing at all... maybe it has as much to do with the proportion to human, though I don't intend to belittle the quality of that particular maker's work at all.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I just received a whitecap D mouthpiece which I used on an old Generation D tube.

The whitecap is very nice. Clear tone all the way up, great sound, just a hint of a bright edge when compared to the Burke Al-Pro D, also slightly more volume than the Burke but still very quiet.

I believe this just became my favorite whistle.

--James
glauber

Post by glauber »

Same here (whitecap on D Generations shaft). I'll post more after i've had a chance of playing it for a couple of weeks or so, but what a great whistle!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

AngeloMeola wrote:I'm a big fan of whitecaps too. I started with a D and then got another D mouthpiece and put it on a Clare 2-piece tube.
I am very glad to hear that. I used my so far only Whitecap to save a horrific Acorn from itself. I have a Clare 2-piece but have to admit I don't really like it much (I love the concept - just not the whistle). Knowing a Whitecap will fit a Clare tube offers a light at the end of the tunnel. And since I've just sold off all my Susatos and all but one of my Gens (that one, a brass Bb with an old-style mouthpiece, will appear on eBay shortly), I can even afford one without guilt.

Hmmmm... what do Whitecap owners do with the discarded mouthpieces? They're too small for planters and too shrill for referee's whistles.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Remember that Oak I had whose mouthpiece shattered a couple of months back? It's now a whitecap, and a real treat to play :)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

Chuck_Clark wrote: I have a Clare 2-piece but have to admit I don't really like it much (I love the concept - just not the whistle).
I felt the same way about the Clare. I tried tweaking the thing every way I could think of and was never satisfied. With the whitecap, I love the sound and I carry it just about everywhere since it fits in my pocket.

The joint gives you some tuning without having to move the mouthpiece and possibly loosening the fit.

The overall length from the blade to the end of the tube is slightly shorter than the original Hoover to get the bottom note in tune. The wall of the tube is a little thicker even though the outside diameter is the same. The sound is slightly different. I go back and forth between the original and the hybrid as my favorite.

Angelo
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

Well, I too have a white cap - I use mine on a Feadog body. It fits on a Walton as well, but I prefer the brightness of the Feadog. It totally transforms the whistle. Highly recommended!
bjs

Post by bjs »

Is a Clare two piece the same as a doolin two piece? If not - same diameter ?

brian
AngeloMeola

Post by AngeloMeola »

bjs wrote:Is a Clare two piece the same as a doolin two piece? If not - same diameter ?

brian
The Clare and the Doolin are 2 different whistles. I have a Doolin 1 piece and it is narrower. The whitecap won't fit on it without a ton of teflon tape.

Angelo
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I too use a Whitecap on a Gen tube, and it's my current favorite. I do want to get a Burke, so I have a question for peeplj, are you saying that a Whitecap on a Gen tube is louder than a Burke Al Pro?
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Whitecap? Sounds like something I could use, I just cracked the fipple on my Walton. Where can I see/get one?
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Father Emmet wrote:Whitecap? Sounds like something I could use, I just cracked the fipple on my Walton. Where can I see/get one?
The easiest way is directly from the maker, Mack Hoover. A link to his website is below. And, if you do buy one from him, you'll also get the pleasure of dealing with an honest man and a true gentleman.

http://home.bresnan.net/~mackhoover/
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Thanks Chuck!