Name That Tune! Warning, William Shatner related

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
madfifer9
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Name That Tune! Warning, William Shatner related

Post by madfifer9 »

Hello, all,

I can't stand it any more, I need some help! I have recently seen a commercial on TV for Crest Night Effects overnight tooth whitener, in which a woman puts the stuff on her teeth, then dreams she is dancing a reel with a whole chorus line of William Shatners.

Can anyone name the tune that is playing? I know I have heard it before, but I can't place it. There is a high whistle very prominent in the recording, too.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what Irish reels and dancing William Shatners have to do with tooth whitener.

madfifer9
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!
Dedian

Post by Dedian »

I've seen that commercial too! I was wondering the same thing...

However, I was wondering why a dream involving William Shatner wasn't a nightmare, not to mention a whole LINE of Shatner's
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I'm surprised this is the first time I've seen a thread about that commercial.

I remember thinking the tune was very familiar too. I might have even thought of the name but I haven't seen it for a while.

At least it was good playing. Have you seen the deodorant commercial where the guy's body odor makes all of the little foosball players pass out and after he puts on the deodorant they dance to some pastiche of all the Irish tunes that ever exisited?

That commercial is actually my memory of the Shatner commercial.

The Folgers commcercial has got to be the best Irish step-dance commercial.

Cheers,
Aaron
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

This needs to be bumped up so it catches the undisputed's eye. Dale is pretty good at naming that tune from commercials.
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)
madfifer9

Post by madfifer9 »

AaronMalcomb wrote:At least it was good playing. Have you seen the deodorant commercial where the guy's body odor makes all of the little foosball players pass out and after he puts on the deodorant they dance to some pastiche of all the Irish tunes that ever exisited?
Yeah, I've seen that one recently too. I can't figure out why foosball players would be dancing either. :-) Total nonsequitur. I thought the music in the Crest commercial was pretty good. That's what caught my attention at first. But William Shatner?? :-? The guy must be hurting for money.

Maybe someone can even name what band is playing.

madfifer9
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!
herbivore12

Re: Name That Tune! Warning, William Shatner related

Post by herbivore12 »

madfifer9 wrote:I have recently seen a commercial on TV for Crest Night Effects overnight tooth whitener, in which a woman puts the stuff on her teeth, then dreams she is dancing a reel with a whole chorus line of William Shatners.
Well, you can just rock me to sleep tonight. Nightmares . . .

This sort of thing is why I don't watch TV anymore. Best thing I ever did, pulling away from that horrible but seductive device.

Can't sleep, Shatner's going to burst out of the closet and dance . . .
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Have any of you heard Bill Shatner singing Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, or Mr. Tamburine Man? Probably the cringingly worst thing I have ever heard! So bad that it is really fun. There is an album out there called Golden Throats ( sounds like a lichen video..) which includes other horrible actor/singers like Mae West singing Twist and Shout, etc. If you are a fan of the truly awful in music, this will give you many laughs.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Dana

Post by Dana »

I've got something even better (worse?). Spock Sings Bilbo Baggins:
http://homepage.mac.com/evanbaumgardner ... ater6.html
Don't miss this!
markv

Post by markv »

dhigbee wrote:I've got something even better (worse?). Spock Sings Bilbo Baggins:
http://homepage.mac.com/evanbaumgardner ... ater6.html
Don't miss this!
That is just plain wrong! A friend of mine wouldn't believe that it was real.

Thanks for the laugh.

Mark V.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Honestly, I think that the greatest actor of all time was William Shatner....

He was so cool.....

:lol:

well....

Um...

Yeah.. I need help
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

brewerpaul wrote:Have any of you heard Bill Shatner singing Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, or Mr. Tamburine Man? Probably the cringingly worst thing I have ever heard! So bad that it is really fun. There is an album out there called Golden Throats ( sounds like a lichen video..) which includes other horrible actor/singers like Mae West singing Twist and Shout, etc. If you are a fan of the truly awful in music, this will give you many laughs.
That's why he does it. He knows he can't sing, and he does it for laughs...particularly playing up his (somewhat undeserved) reputation for overacting. One of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV was William Shatner "singing" (or rather, declaiming) "Rocket Man"...he was just so clearly poking fun at himself, it was hilarious!

I love this particular commercial. It reminds me of the Weird Al song "Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White"...the idea of dreaming that one is doing the Riverdance thing with a line full of Shatners is just so surreal!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Oh my goodness... :o I've been a Spock fan since I was 9, but...I have never seen that before!! :boggle:

Oh yeah, and I LOVE that Folgers commercial (though I don't drink coffee)...the step dancing is great!
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

How is it that I miss out on all the "good" comercials?!? Wahhhh!!!!

Guess I need to watch more TV??? :boggle:

Or not........

:) Sara (who's now sure to have a bizzare dream involving Hobbits and Star Trek people singing badly and step dancing together in her closet... *involentary shudder*)
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

One of the funniest performances I've ever seen was William Shatner as The Great Big Head (the intergalactic boss of the show's main characters) on Third Rock from the Sun.

Best wishes,
Jerry
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Oh God, I thought it was a nightmare. And yes, Nico, you do need help...It's funny how all that really horrible emoting really fit in so well on the original Star Trek with the campy effects like the Horn & Hardart food service from the wall (replicator) and the cheesy door opening/closing of the elevators...I do have to admit though that Shatner did give a great performance when he did the female Dr. Janice Lester inside his body when testifying before the Enterprise officers...

Hold on Nico, I'll be there shortly....

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.