Grip issue. Suggestions?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Turas mor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Grip issue. Suggestions?

Post by Turas mor »

I am having problems with my low D whistle grip. When I try to use a "piper's grip" with my lower hand, I have a problem cleanly covering the bottom hole. This is quite irritating as it makes two of the critical movements difficult. Playing the lowest D note without squeaking or shifting octaves, and the transistion from C# or B to the second octave D. Of course, the more often this happens, the tenser (more tense) I get when I approach those notes, which makes it all the worse.

I can play it ok using a "piper's grip" with my upper hand, and the "arachnoid grip" with my lower hand. Fortunately I have long fingers and can do it, but still.... I know it isn't the right way, and after about an hour I start to get the "palm cramps".

Any suggestions? Hints? Knowledge gleaned by experience?

BTW, I play "goofy" (left hand down).
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

In "piper's grip", as most commonly seen, the third finger covers the lowest hole with the tip pad, not the mid section as for the two other holes. Do you do this? It usually takes a bit of adjusting one's wrist angle to the whistle.

What seems strange in your description is you could probably play with the fingertips of both hands, while you describe sorta "reverse half-piper's" grip, i.e. piper's on top only, which usually is the least problematic.
Maybe you should try getting that right hand down :P
Seriously, it might help you when you'll want to try out the flute.
skh

Post by skh »

First: there is no "right way" beyond the way that feels most comfortable.

That said, try to cover the lowest hole with the tip of the corresponding finger (L3 in your case) and the one 2 holes above that with the fleshy underside of the middle joint of L1. This is actually a description of piper's grip, but my point is that you can use it at any angle that is comfortable. On certain whistles, I've found that I need the additional sensibility that the finger tip has to find and correctly cover the lowest hole, and "piper's grip" does not mean that you're not allowed to use the finger tip of one finger.

Take care not to put too much tension on the wrist by changing the angle of the hand.

Does this description make any sense to you?

Sonja
Shut up and play.
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

That's odd. The ONLY way I can manage my Low D's is with piper's grip. Have you tried reversing your hands right one down? Since the right one seems to have no problem, it may be more suited to the longer stretch at the bottom?
Turas mor

Post by Turas mor »

Actually, I'm trying to come to grips (sorry) with the real problem myself. What I think is happening, is that when I attempt the piper's grip with my left hand, I can't comfortably hit the bottom hole with the L3 fingertip, so I end up using somewhere between the tip and the second joint (maybe I have a mutant L3). It's not that I can't reach it, it is that I can't "feel" it. So my left ring finger starts to wander about "looking" for the hole.

You may be right in that I should switch hands, but I have tried this, and boy does it feel weird. I would have to practically start all over again.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I dunno if switching hands will help. Seamus Egan plays the low whistle with his hands reversed because he finds the reach easier that way. (He plays the pennywhistle and flute normally.)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
adriancarrington

Post by adriancarrington »

Hi Turas,

1. I suggest you experiment thoroughly with placing thr TIP of your bottom finger over the lowest hole, as others have suggested. Keep experimenting with changes in hand position, always attempting to minimise tension in your hand as far as possible. I had a very similar problem to you, and know what a drag those squeaky notes are!!!

2. I guess you should bear in mind that the low whistle IS a rather more demanding instrument than the Sop D, and will require some dedicated practice to master. At least it isn't as tough to play as the flute!!! Try to remember that over time, your present difficulties will recede, so long as you attend to your technique properly at this stage. If you learn to do the basics well, the rest will follow.

3. Good luck if you find you have to swop hands around, I wouldn't fancy that one, either. As for Seamus Egan: he could probably play low whistle with his toes!!

Cheers, Adrian
Turas mor

Post by Turas mor »

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Based on what I am seeing, I think I need to concentrate on the piper's grip on my lower hand, starting with the ring finger and working up. So far, I have been positioning my fingers starting from the top down. Perhaps as Adrian suggests if I start with the lowest finger and work up I will find a more comfortable position.

I am pretty sure that I would have an exceedingly difficult time switching my hands at this point.

Adrian, you are certainly correct. If I could play anything as well as Seamus Egan, I wouldn't be worrying about this problem.
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

Just keep at it, and the pain will go away as you hand gets used to the stretch. My hand hurt too and I just could not do a pipers' grip for whatever reason (possibly including stupidity). But being far more stubborn than my wife appreciates, i just kept working the fingers and now I can play my Susato low D without a problem and it feels comfortable. Problem now is that I've been playing on a low whistle for a few weeks now and on the Hall flute, so when I pick up a soprano whistle, my fingers feel like logs. Good luck, hope you find what works for you.
bjs

Post by bjs »

I'm no expert but have had a Low D for a couple of months and can now play a tune on it without squeaks (well sometimes I can). I find the best way for me is to
1) place the left hand in position covering top three holes
2) place the right pinky below and a little to one side of the bottom hole
3) blow and place R1 then R2 then R3 (all covered) in turn
4) REPEAT 3) UNTIL YOU GET NOTES NOT SQUEAKS

I find I am using the joint of R3 not just the tip and partly the sides not just undersides of right hand fingers. Dunno if that helps but keeping the pinky firm helps the other fingers to find their way back when needed.

Does that make any sense? Any help?
Experts - am I doing it wrong, getting into a bad habit?
Brian