OT: The Hippy Poll

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

The Hippy Poll

I am one of the original hippies.
13%
I used to be a hippy.
14%
I'm a new, converted hippy.
5%
People call me a hippy, so I must be one.
5%
Hippies are scary.
7%
I like beatniks better.
28%
I like beatniks better.
28%

Total votes: 104

lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

i'm a hippie too :D i think a hippie revolution was needed at the time, to break with some rusty old habits. although not all of their idealism was that grounded, they certainly provided some spark for a lot of new things.
i suppose there were always hippies, (remember, they killed that little hippie guy called jesus)
Last edited by lixnaw on Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

"Hippie" is in the heart, NOT in the hair. 8)
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

"A person who opposes and rejects many of the conventional standards
and customs of society, especially one who advocates extreme liberalism
in sociopolitical attitudes and lifestyles."

Confusing.

I reject the current state of the entertainment culture. I reject the customs of pop-culture and "coolness." But I strictly adhere to other, more "boring and dry" social norms. And my politics are a few miles to the right of center. However, politically I am a "liberal" in the 18-19th century sense of the word. In my surroundings, everyone else is a hippie but me. Which I guess sort of makes me the hippie in a roundabout way.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
lilymaid

Post by lilymaid »

The Weekenders wrote:Beatniks...I dunno....between the pretension and the pedophilia (Ginsburg), they just creep me out. The other Weekenders cousin is STILL a beatnik, in Italy of all places. He was a part of the SF crowd in their day but now lives there, composing beat poetry and glorifying the otherwise inglorious beat movement.
I like "Kaddish," though.
You can read part of it here:
http://www.poets.org/poets/poets.cfm?45442B7C000C0E
Cees wrote:I like some of the hippy clothing coming back in style now...I used to think they were so awful. Now they're "cool"! :o
I used to dress like a hippy. Now everyone has started doing it, I don’t so much. It’s not so fun anymore.
antstastegood wrote: I reject the current state of the entertainment culture. I reject the customs of pop-culture and "coolness." But I strictly adhere to other, more "boring and dry" social norms. And my politics are a few miles to the right of center. However, politically I am a "liberal" in the 18-19th century sense of the word. In my surroundings, everyone else is a hippie but me. Which I guess sort of makes me the hippie in a roundabout way.
Cool is for losers. :)

Be happy you're not a weird little moderate with odd, extreme views. It makes absolutely everyone mad. I can pass for a liberal or a conservative if I'm only talking about one subject at a time, though. Then if someting else comes up and I don't agree, people try to "talk some sense into me."
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I was in college 1968-1972. I never considered myself a real hippy. We called each other "freaks" back then as contrasted with "straights" (before straight meant "not gay") whose drug of choice was alcohol and who were in favor of forcefully ridding SE Asia of communism. I looked like a hippy most of that time except that I bathed, studied and had a job, so that ruled me out as a real hippy. I espoused the political/social ideals and I still do for the most part. I also felt that I had a responsibility to others in my life so tuning off and dropping out were not an option.

Nowadays the closest I get to being a hippy is wearing a tie dyed t shirt that I bought from a street vendor in Berkley who got a PhD in chemistry from Berkely back in the 60s but makes a better living selling t shirts than he could from his academic credentials.
Mike
cj

Post by cj »

Count me with the Hippies are Well and Good, But I'm Not One category. Mainly, I was born too late, too young for Baby Boomer status, but a bit old for Gen X (I'm 39), also born and raised in the South, where the hippy thing didn't happen as much as it did in other parts of the country. The hippies' protests did bring about a lot of positive and needed change. The shakeups of the '60s forced this country to face some things about ourselves that weren't pretty. However, I also respect the folks like my uncle who went to Vietnam and died for his country because that's just what you did and protest wasn't an option.
adamm

Post by adamm »

I'm a "Happy" :)
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

There needs to be an option for "none of the above". I find hippiedom's political naivete more than a little irritating, although I'm far from conservative, socially or politically.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I'm a Hoppy

Steve
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Well, since the topic is still being flogged, two observations.

Having lived near Hippie central here in SF Bay Area, I always noticed that hippies had to be at least middle class or upper class to have adopted the prosaic "Let's all share everything man" because working class or poor hadn't reached that state of acquisition to be then willing to give it away. The prototypes were spoiled-ass white kids with deep pocket parents who would save 'em if they got too deep intro trouble. That's why there were few black hippies for example, with a few exceptions. Although her music was great, Joan Baez always bugged me cause she was a college perfessers kid from Palo Alto area, not a typical California latino as her name might imply.

The other observation is that pot and hallucenogenics use led to certain way of looking at things, or perhaps, NOT looking at things, with the illusion of clarity that those drugs fostered. People were torn out of context by the drugs, and felt that they had a new vision of how things should or could be. I don't dispute that sensation, but the sensibility was flawed in the end.

That's why I dislike the assertion that Jesus was a "hippie." Unless he was eatin peyote buttons or something, I don't think its even valid as a facile comparison.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Your honor, which one is the real Jesus, and which one is the Jesus freak?
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Trick qestion
Its a before and after The Drugs picture :lol:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
energy

Post by energy »

It has been my impression that the 60s hippies movement was the root of modern American drug culture...
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

energy wrote:It has been my impression that the 60s hippies movement was the root of modern American drug culture...
"Modern" is the operative word here. Prior to the 1930's at least, cocaine, heroin, and marijuana were certainly used recreationally. As to demographics, I'll defer to the experts.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

The Weekenders wrote:Well, since the topic is still being flogged, two observations.

Having lived near Hippie central here in SF Bay Area, I always noticed that hippies had to be at least middle class or upper class to have adopted the prosaic "Let's all share everything man" because working class or poor hadn't reached that state of acquisition to be then willing to give it away. The prototypes were spoiled-ass white kids with deep pocket parents who would save 'em if they got too deep intro trouble. That's why there were few black hippies for example, with a few exceptions. Although her music was great, Joan Baez always bugged me cause she was a college perfessers kid from Palo Alto area, not a typical California latino as her name might imply.
I gotta agree with you there, Weeks. At that time I was going to college on a scholarship, living at home and working to make ends meet. There weren't many hippies at Cleveland State University. We were all trying to make ends meet. However, at Kent State, just down the turnpike a bit, there were lots of hippies going to university on the old man's dime. And you know what happened there.
Mike