OT: The Hippy Poll

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

The Hippy Poll

I am one of the original hippies.
13%
I used to be a hippy.
14%
I'm a new, converted hippy.
5%
People call me a hippy, so I must be one.
5%
Hippies are scary.
7%
I like beatniks better.
28%
I like beatniks better.
28%

Total votes: 104

Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Back in the day.......

Remember hitch-hiking cross country, "getting back to the land", Turquoise jewelry, macrame and black lights?

I really wish I had kept some of my now "vintage" clothing, though ~ who would have thought? I also remember "streaking"...... (not that I participated! )

Mary :o
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Lovin' the thread 'cause it sets up so many gags for the Chiffsters. Too young to have been a hippie, but not too young to have been in the aftermath drug pseudo-hippie culture. And because of proximity to SF and frequent trips into Berkeley "in the day" I am pretty familiar with ropes and dopes (Walden's fave phrase).

I think they buried the last hippie in '67 in the Haight-Ashbury in a mock funeral, but I know that most people continue the use of the term beyond that. Stone would know. I always suspected him!! I bet he knew Leary.

I like Phish a lot, of what I have heard (I don't buy any CDs except trad and neo-trad) which was what was shipped free with my Macintosh. They're good.

Beatniks...I dunno....between the pretension and the pedophilia (Ginsburg), they just creep me out. The other Weekenders cousin is STILL a beatnik, in Italy of all places. He was a part of the SF crowd in their day but now lives there, composing beat poetry and glorifying the otherwise inglorious beat movement.
silverton

Post by silverton »

Hippie through and through.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Interesting question but, as usual, not enough buttons to get me right.

In Australia, American trends used to happen, if at all, several years after they happened in America. American music was important but American fashion wasn't, either in clothes or in ideas. Imported culture in the '60s came largely from Britain and France most directly. Something fashionable in Britain or France in the northern summer (July) would be all the rage in Australia by December.

Long hair (for males) was common in Australia by the mid '60s but people espousing the hippy philosophies and taking lots of psychedelics only came on the scene in about '68 or '69 but they stayed lasted well into the late '70s to be replaced by the much darker heroin and cocaine crowd. (Much of this is secondhand since I spent most of the 70s in England.)

I would have been called a mod in the mid '60s and a hippy in the '70s. Since being a mod was just a matter of fashion, I'll wear that although I didn't take uppers and I was far too politicised to be a real mod. I was never a hippy, again because I was far too politicised. I never espoused pacificism, although I disliked violence, and I never thought that anarchy would work. I didn't want to replace families with collectives although I did want families to be more open, honest and loving places than they often were in my childhood. I enjoyed dabbling in all the modernist cultural developments that had been fashionable at some point in the 20th century—dadaism, surrealism, beat poetry, traditional and modern jazz, many schools of European and Sth. American cinema and literature and numerous others. I formed my own attachments which remain to this day. I never took any of the movements seriously as movements. I never stopped reading Kant and Shakespeare nor listening to Bach and Beethoven. I make my mind up issue by issue; I don't accept political or social ideologies as package deals. I don't much like 'isms. So I never was a hippy. I think I'll vote beatnik just to be perverse.
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

silverton wrote:Hippie through and through.
Farout man 8) like WowImage
Noway man i an,t never been no hippy man :P
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Wombat wrote:I would have been called a mod in the mid '60s
I'd love to see your picture on the stripped-down Lambretta scooter :lol:

Back in UK, mods hated the guts of Frenchmen, so I naturally fraternized more with rockers. Driving a British bike was enough of a passport... which didn't grant me to understand a single word of their cockney talk, whot? Oops, sorry: I DID distinctly hear them mention "Kant" pretty often, especially when they'd spot a mod... Now, considering the various epithets they added (blahdy being the least), I suspect they were more into Leibnitz. :roll:
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

jim_mc wrote:I hope never to lose my basic hippy sensibility.
I'm okay without all the hair, the weed and the tie-dye, though.
I'm with Jim-- must be a Hudson valley thing, living so close to Woodstock and all...
Apart from the crazy/silly aspects of the Hippie era, I think the whole Hippie thing did a lot to raise everyone's consciouness about the environment, social injustice, etc.. It was a huge change from the whitebread, Eisenhower era mentality, and I'm glad I was there to see it ( and actually remember it!)
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Marko

Post by Marko »

is this thread in response to the one on square whistles? :)

anyhow, since Ireland was about ten years behind the states with regards to free love (its still damn expensive) my parents were hippies in the mid 70's in the west of ireland. nothing so colourful as tie-dye though, that would have shocked the neighbours. lots of camping trips and festivals when i was younger so that was good.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I could never get into that whole Mod vs Rocker thing, so I'm just a bod.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I'm starting a sit-in to protest the lack of an "all of the above" button, once again. After all, some of us have really been around the bloc, folks, and have to be honest about it. I am also protesting the vile tendancy of some to interpose their own narrow definition of "hippie" onto themselves and/or others. We are all free people, people! Here... I've got flowers and pamphlets for everyone... please, pass them on...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
tansy

Post by tansy »

all i know is that when the hippys arrived i suddenly had a lot more friends and girlfriends. and people to hang out in the woods with, and music.
it's hard to find these days.
leonard cohen once referred to them as "the flabby liers of the aquarian age"
:party: tansy.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Martin Milner wrote:I could never get into that whole Mod vs Rocker thing, so I'm just a bod.
A bob to learn what's a bod :-?
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

I believe Martin was using a shortened version of "body", Zub. :)

I so would have been there in Beatnik Land, sitting in a cafe, banging a bongo, and wearing all black and a beret... everything would have been copacetic, man. 8)

~Andrea
Sara

Post by Sara »

"A person who opposes and rejects many of the conventional standards
and customs of society, especially one who advocates extreme liberalism
in sociopolitical attitudes and lifestyles."

That would describe me. ;)
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
Cees
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

I like some of the hippy clothing coming back in style now...I used to think they were so awful. Now they're "cool"! :o