Whistles and duets

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
energy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistles and duets

Post by energy »

For quite awhile now, I've drifted from playing the whistle, and here's one of the reasons why: I don't think it sounds very good in duet with other instruments. Instead of complimenting the tones of the other instruments, it just stands out, and sounds rather thin. I am fairly socially oriented when it comes to music, so that has something to do with it. I wonder if this bothers anyone else? Do you think it's possible to have interesting duets with say, whistle and fiddle, or whistle and flute, or whatever? Interested in hearing opinions...
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

This summer, I played with my brother in law who is a fiddler. I mostly used my Low D's. I thought some tunes, particularly the airs, sounded wonderful with a fiddle/Low D duet (well, except for my occasional quacks... :D )
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

I think much of it may have to do with the fact that your whistle playing, like your voice, does not sound exactly the same to you as it does to others. You may be able to prove it by recording your group. It will probably sound better on tape than it did while you were playing.

Also, when I record duets with myself, I usually keep the lead whistle clean and add reverb and/or delay to the backing whistle, and this works quite well. So if you are in a performance/recording situation, and your whistle is not the lead instrument, you may want to have your sound man add these effects to your whistle to reduce the "attack" and allow the lead instrument to stand out.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I play fairly regularly with an accordion player and I agree with you energy, at least as far as the accordion is concerned. I think playing with a fiddle works better but still, a flute works better. I'm not a particularly good flute player but I still end up playing it with the accordion because the flute and accordion sound better together. I used to play with a group with a flute/whistle player (not me) and a mandolin player. The whistle and mandolin do OK together. It's still nicer with a flute though.

Steve
whistlebinkie

Post by whistlebinkie »

My suggestion - try a lower whistle like a Bb, A G F
These alto range whistles sound quite "flutelike" and are more
suited to a duet setting. WB
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I think these click:

whistle - bones
whistle - bodhran
whistle - whistle
whistle - harp
whistle - mandolin
whistle - bouzouki
whistle - uilleann pipes
whistle - tenor banjo
whistle - fiddle
whistle - flute
whistle - rhythm guitar or Arty McGlinn style
whistle - concertina
etc, etc, etc.
Last edited by fancypiper on Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kar

Post by Kar »

I'll second the guitar/whistle or mandolin/whistle duet idea. I've done both and it's quite nice. Whistles sound especially nice with "rich" guitar, like a 12-string.
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

I'm with Kar on this one. Whistle and guitar go great together. My preference is to play a Bb or A whistle here, and my guitar buddy plays a style that sounds great. I have no clue what that style is called, though...he basically, to my ear, picks out supporting chords and works them well. No strumming here, just nice strolling. Sounds great together.

I agree, Nate, that some combos just don't cut it. I played alongside a pianist (sp?) ;) this weekend and was left feeling like the sound was simply OK. If only the guitarist had been available. :)

Jef
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

I agree with the other posts and in addition, I think that the right whistle can contribute to a good duet. That's why I pick up one on my Burke composites when I'm playing with others. It has a more mellow sound that blends better with other instruments....or at least it does to my ear.

just my 2 cents

take care

jim d
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Jim D is spot on...He commented before I had the chance...

The right whistle makes all the difference. For duets, trios, etc., I always use lower whistles, in my case, Burkes and Hoovers...

Distance from the mic also is an issue. I often play duets with a person playing Parkhurst whistles. The Parkhurst copper design she owns is relatively quiet and very mellow. Simple volume differences on our two mics simply are not enough to balance the sound. Therefore, I stand about 15 inches from the mic, while Erin stands 3 inches away...

It works for us...

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I've been playing with a friend who plays bouzouki. We've had good feedback especially on the Bb whistle (Abell) as fitting nicely with the bouzouki. I've posted some tunes on Clips of us. They'll give a general idea.

There are some Chieftains duets of whistle and harp that are spectacular. The cheap Generation sound is exquisite backed up by harp.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
serpent

Voting with dollars

Post by serpent »

I play at the Kansas City Renaissance Festival, with guitar, other whistles, hammer dulcimer, fiddle, you pretty much name it. People love it. Doesn't seem to matter what whistle I choose - I play both my own highs and lows, and Stacey O'Gorman's Albas - the SE and the low D non-tunable. People flat-out love them all equally.

In my milieu, the tip basket speaks volumes...

Cheers, :D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"