Square bore whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Easily_Deluded_Fool
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Square bore whistles

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

I used the search thingy! :o
I know it's been mentioned, but I can't find it! :(

What difference does the cross sectional shape of the bore make?

I want to build a square bore whistle.
So, I ask myself; "Self! What's stopping you? "

" I think it's been discussed before, but where is it? "

Has anyone else built a square bore flute/whistle please,
and what - if any - difference did the shape make?

Why?

Aha! If I were to make it from wheat or corn,
I would be able to say " I can't tell you until next week, 'cos it's a cereal!!!!!" :boggle:
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Jack

Post by Jack »

They wont work for some reason, but I forget which reason.

Lark did a square whistle with pictures not that very long ago. I bet if you search only his posts, you can find it.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Yea, look for Lark's Squistle.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Jack

Post by Jack »

tansy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

i think it could be done and sound very good. it would have to be designed by someone who had the knowledge of such things. i built a square bore uilleann chanter(by craige fischer design) and like it more and more as i play it. it is a bit quiter than my other chanters but is very well behaved and in tune. it is round on the outside and you wouldn't think square unless you looked up the end. i used thick enough wood and then hand planed it round :)
i was thinking of making just the square tube for a whistle and fitting an existing, proven head on it.
pipe organs sometimes have square tubes, bass recorders(sorry)i believe do also.
it's all in the design.
thoughts from the dark side, tansy :o
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

To convert a square bore to the approximate round bore diameter,
take the width of square and multiply by 1.12838

To convert round diameter to equivalent square width, multiply diameter by 0.88623

It will work fine, you can obtain square brass tubing from www.specialshapes.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Square bore?...ah. I thought that this was about whistles to suit the unimaginative conformist dullard.
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

I just knew you guys would know the answers.

Thanks. :)
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
JhV

Post by JhV »

wouldnt this hurt the fingers? :-?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

JhV wrote:wouldnt this hurt the fingers? :-?
Nah, you'd be surprised what sorts of instruments people have managed to make (and play) without damaging themselves. A square-tubed whistle is pretty mild compared to a rankett, for instance, as far as hand requirements go.

I have seen pictures of square-bore recorders, and have heard that they play quite well. I've never had a chance to try one, though.

--James
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

It is true that many pipe organs have square bores but primarily the lower bass notes. I don't see why a square bore shouldn't work as long as the area is correct.

Ron
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

The Paetzold Square Recorder is a good example of a square bore and as Daniel B. pointed out, square bore designs can be easily calculated. There are certain "drawbacks" that must be considered in square bore design though.

A square bore woodwind will still use only a cylindrical internal air column in the low pressure of the first register. The "corners" are ignored by the air column and the cubic volume there is dead/unused space. In the overblown registers the square bore runs into problems. The higher pressure of the air column in the overblown modes pushes out into the "unused" corners, increases the "used" cubic area and results in a very flat scale.

This flat second scale can be compensated for in the same way that Recorders compensate, by the addition of a dorsal thumbhole that can pe "pinched" open to sharpen the entire scale. The 3rd and 4th registers would be pretty much useless though. Don't let this discourage you, Recorders only have a 1 1/2 octave "usable range".

For some design references you can search "Paetzold Recorders" and the "illustrations" section of....

http://www.organstops.org/
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

thomas, i was wandering if removing (gouging out) some areas around certain tone holes could improve second octave tunings? this is done on the chanter i made.
also what if you made it tapered- large at mouth piece becomeing smaller toward the bell note end? :-?
tansy
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Tansy

"Undercuting" toneholes WILL help with the phase-shift flattening effect in the upper registers. It helps the air column "find" the toneholes better and improves response in the upper registers by allowing the air to "follow" the inner slope up to the tonehole opening, instead of passing a small inner opening(weak tone). This is a physical/aerodynamic property of fluids/gasses called <b>adhesion</b>. You will sharpen each individual note by doing this unless you "average" the diameters of the toneholes in your design.

Using a conical decreasing bore of the correct angle will help to match/tune the 1st and 2nd registers and correct "phase-shift" just like undercutting toneholes. Take some percentage measurements from any Recorder for reference. A combination of conical bore, undercut toneholes and a dorsal thumbhole will correct almost all of the "phase-shift flattening effect" over 2 octaves. Conical bores do limit the range to 2 octaves though.

No design is perfect, and other factors such as a tuned cavity above the voicing hole,reduced thickness at the toneholes and a deep voicing hole(for pitch stability) will also improve acoustics. There are endless possibilities for the designer. Did I answer your questions?

Thomas Hastay.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Jetboy

SQUARE BORE WHISTLE

Post by Jetboy »

S'bin done before. I once saw some on display in a pub somewhere and was mildly interested.

Are you thinking of a square whistle or a round whistle with a square bore?

As a fledgeling manufacturer, I have often thought about trying one. I can't see why a square bore would make too much difference to the tone. It would take all the ball -ache out of drilling a long straigt hole through a piece of wood too.

Keep us informed as to how you get on.

Jetboy