OT: Digital Cameras

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: Digital Cameras

Post by Dale »

I have need of a digital camera. I'm fairly gadget-savvy, and yet I find myself overwhelmed by the range of choices. Has anyone come across a good on-line buyer's guide for these? I've learned that I want something in the 3 - 4 megapixel range and that I need a 3x optical zoom.

Dale
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
mjacob

Post by mjacob »

Yeah, Dale try going to:

www.dpreview.com

They have an incredible amount of information, including test pictures takew w/ all the cameras they have reviewed.
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

If you are interested in Digital SLR's you may want to look at the Canon Digital Rebel and the Canon EOS 10D... or if you a famous psychologist raking in the big bucks, you could look at the 1D ;)

Also, I've owned one of the Canon Powershot series for a while now and have been very happy with it. (My brother and father also own one in the series and do some nice things... here's my brother's website with lot's of pics from his camera http://www.kellyandian.com/ and all of the ones on my website are taken with mine.)

All very nice cameras.

Erik
slowair

Post by slowair »

I was amazed, but I believe I saw Gateway now has 5 megapixel camera.

And I thought my Sony FD95 took nice pitures. I don't even think that has a 1 megapixel.

Good luck.

Mike
Bretton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I would 2nd the suggestion of a Canon. They produce very nice images. The Canon G2/G5 are great (the S50 is nice too in a smaller package). I haven't tried any of the Canon SLR's but I'm sure they're even better. The www.dpreview.com site is where I go for info.

Many people like Nikons too, but I've not tried any of them (probably like comparing Copelands and Abells...).

-Brett
Alcona

Post by Alcona »

Don't buy until after thanksgiving if you can wait that long. There will soon be some major price wars starting then. http://www.nyip.com/tips/breaking_news1003a.php
Alcona
Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.
http://www.pbase.com/ejcsnapdragon
http://www.pbase.com/hamishcraig/jills_pics2
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

It sounds as though you need a digital camera for other than computer/internet use with the higher magapixel range. And, everything is getting better, so I'd consider it a wise choice anyway. I have to second what someone said earlier...Canon Powershot series for a small, quick, point and shoot camera.

BTW, I shopped all over the internet for prices, etc., and found that the local Bi-Mart store had as good or better prices than the same camera online. Plus, you get to see it hold it, try it out, and bring it back if you don't like it! :) And besides, many online retailers are pretty bad to deal with.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Don't know if you subscribe, but I just got this months Consumer Reports which covers digital cameras. SOmetimes I find their ratings don't reflect what's important to me, but, in summary:

3-megapixel top three are Fujifilm Fine Pix 3800 (6x optical zoom), $340
Olympus Camedia C-740 Ultra Zoom (10x), $450
Fujifilm Finepix F601Z (3x), $450

4-megapixel top three are Canon PowerShot G3 (4x), $520
Nikon Coolpix 4300 (3x), $390
Konica Digital Revio KD 400-Z (3x), $450

5-megapixel top three are Nikon Coolpix 5700 (8x), $890
Olympus Camedia C-5050 (3x), $620
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 (5x), $730

The "best buy" is 3-megapixel Fujifilm Finepix A303 (3x), $220

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Thanks For all the great resources. That Consumer Reports best buy may be a good match for my needs. Thanks again.
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Dale, try e-mailing or pm-ing Tom Dowling for some advice. He used a Nikon digital for all those great NYC photos of the last 2+ years. I can't remember the model number (cause I zone out when technical details start flying around).
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
kabili

Post by kabili »

Dale, http://www.cnet.com usually gives pretty good reviews and comparisons.
I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance
Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance. ~~Ogden Nash
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi Dale,
have a look at http://www.steves-digicams.com/
IMHO, don't even consider a digital compact no matter how many pixels it has if you've been used to a 35mmSLR. I bought a digital compact, 2.9 mp, 3x opt. zoom, £200 and it can't compete with a 25 y/o Olympus OM10!! I have tried a friends Canon 10D, really impressive, trouble is I couldn't afford one. I also had a look at a Canon Powershot G3, seemed like a nice camera although I didn't get a chance to really try it out. FWIW, the Olympus C5050 seems to get good reviews.

Good Luck, Mac
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Hm.

I'm liking

Fujifilm FinePix 3800
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

mjacob wrote:Yeah, Dale try going to:

www.dpreview.com

They have an incredible amount of information, including test pictures takew w/ all the cameras they have reviewed.
Holy cow. If we reviewed whistles like that......

I've never seen anything quite as thorough.

Dale