OT: Joining the ranks . . .

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by herbivore12 »

The Weekenders wrote:Competence is only valuable if you are cheap and don't threaten the authority of the boss. Just a guess, but it sounds like you.
I don't think I was too threatening, but I probably was considered to be an easy liability to get rid of to reduce salary outlays, as the company asked director's to do a while back. Boss probably figures he can do two jobs as well as he was doing one (or perhaps doesn't have enough to do, himself), so . . .
As I said before, good luck buddy. And dulcimer is right, the anger builds up with periodic eruptions, especially if yer a high-strung music-y kinda person, which many of us are here. Accept it and remember that tomorrow is another day, another chance. That's what I do. That and getting fitted for an orange Home Depot vest when the unemployment runs out.
I'm fairly even-keeled most of the time, at least outwardly; one of my strengths in management and in personal crises is my calm, deliberate manner. Everyone looks to me at those times; I can take control of perilous situations and turn them around pretty well, mostly.

Then I go home and scream in a pillow for a couple minutes, and smack the heavy bag around. . .

Nah. I'm trying to keep the anger at bay by looking at this as an opportunity, insofar as possible. I'm mostly just sort of anxious, though I think the full reality of the situation has yet to really sink in. When the checking account runs dry, it might be different. Oy.

Good time to learn a few more tunes, though. I was considering giving the pipes a go, but no way I can justify laying out a couple thou for a half-set when rent is in question. Just hope I can avoid that orange vest, if possible. Though I always have sort of *liked* manual labor; had those jobs in high school and summers during college, and you get a good honest night's sleep when you've put in a long day knocking walls down or clearing brush or what have you. I just think laborers oughtta get fair pay for all that effort, and we'd probably have to look for a new place right quick if it comes to that. Rent's ridiculous.

It'll work out eventually, I expect. I hope. Really hope.

Thanks again for the commiseration, everyone. Best of luck to all you others who are looking, too. Just got an e-mail from a friend who recently found a job after 11 months of looking, and he has two degrees from CalTech (engineering and physics) and impeccable resume. His family got wiped out, financially, and his wife and kid are living with her parents until he can afford a place big enough for all of them, in February or so. Not pretty. But at least he's working again, at a good job.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I was feeling fed up because last Wednesday I'd done thirty years in the same job. Your bad news put things in perspective for me. Hope things work out for you real soon.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
chattiekathy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Wow Aaron, :( I'm Sorry, I hope things work out for you and your family. Just keep in mind that when one door closes another opens. I hope one opens soon for you.

Best of Luck,
Kathy
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
don

Post by don »

Welcome to the ranks.

Both my wife and I were lucky, we saw it coming and took steps to minimize payments for our home. It pushed us back about five years, but later was better than out the door.

Then we both found temp jobs, to keep us going till a more permanant situation appears.

So far, so good.

This is definately a time of transition, check your options carefully, and don't forget in the rush to take care of creditors, that you and your family are first.

If you ever want to visit any other areas - be sure to bring whistles - we'll make it a party
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

JobHuntersBible

I hope you aren't in the neighborhood of 50 years old. I lost my job at 49 (and lost my health at the same time with Crohn's disease). I spent all my savings before I finally got Social Security disability.

Good luck on the new road ahead.
cj

Post by cj »

Good luck to you, don't know what else to say.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

First of all, let me say, Aw, Aron, that s*cks! Hope you do find it to be a blessing in disguise.

Second, let me second what someone else said about not deciding not to take something 'cause you think you might not enjoy it...

I know this sounds a stretch, but it's the truth. I have a friend who was (supposedly temporarily) 'downsized' from a good job at chemical plant (talk about a blessing in disguise, IMHO, LOL!).

In looking to fill the time til she was re-hired, she took a job literally shovelling sh*t at a local stable that friends of hers have. She works hard, but she gets to leave the sh*t at work (OK, some of it gets washed off her boots at home), it's definitely honest work, she lost all the excess weight without paying for any club membership or having to fit her exercise into her afterwork schedule, and she gets to spend a lot of time with some wonderful animals and people. LOL! Not to mention that her time is flexible, which is worth a lot!

When the company offered her a position again, she decided to turn it down.

Who'd a thought?!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
markv

Post by markv »

anniemcu wrote:First of all, let me say, Aw, Aron, that s*cks! Hope you do find it to be a blessing in disguise.

Second, let me second what someone else said about not deciding not to take something 'cause you think you might not enjoy it...

I know this sounds a stretch, but it's the truth. I have a friend who was (supposedly temporarily) 'downsized' from a good job at chemical plant (talk about a blessing in disguise, IMHO, LOL!).

In looking to fill the time til she was re-hired, she took a job literally shovelling sh*t at a local stable that friends of hers have. She works hard, but she gets to leave the sh*t at work (OK, some of it gets washed off her boots at home), it's definitely honest work, she lost all the excess weight without paying for any club membership or having to fit her exercise into her afterwork schedule, and she gets to spend a lot of time with some wonderful animals and people. LOL! Not to mention that her time is flexible, which is worth a lot!

When the company offered her a position again, she decided to turn it down.

Who'd a thought?!
I'm glad it worked out for your friend but if you want to eventually get back in the game it could be a problem. Shoveling sh*t for a year isn't exactly the best way to pad a resume. If you leave it off then the first interview question will be "what have you been up to the last year?"

I would say you need to move here but then you might tell others how nice it is and who needs two states full of Californians (maybe three if you count Colorado).

I read an article recently that stated yearly living wage for a family of four in San Franciso was 70,140$ or so. That's just food, childcare and rent for a two bedroom apt. That just boggled my mind. The first house I bought 12 years ago was a two story farmhouse, 2000sq feet, built in 1909 that was in excellent shape albiet a questionable neighborhood and I paid $36,000. Granted we sold it recently for two times that but still, yeesh!

Anyway, I wish you all the luck you can spare.

Mark V.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Yep, that's California all right. The average cost of a small three-bedroom house here in Santa Cruz is $400K. A one-bedroom apartment rents for between $1000 and $1500 per month. Ditto for space rental in a mobile home park. Costs around $200 to license a relatively new car (this will triple if our current governor has his say), and you will pay between $1.89 and $2.89 per gallon to keep it in fuel. Oh yes, and did I mention the $300-$400/month winter energy bills? It's a terrifying place to be out of work, which is why a lot of people are fleeing the state right now...it's a gorgeous place to live, but who can afford it?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!