UP-DATE OLD 8 KEY GERMAN FLUTE

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

UP-DATE OLD 8 KEY GERMAN FLUTE

Post by Blackbeer »

Ok I need help. The tuning slide is frozen solid. Thats it I need to send this head to someone. I am not going to take a chance on distroying this flute. Please does anyone know of anyone who can repair my flute. Just the head. I wounder if David does that sort of thing. If anyone has had to have work done on a flute and you were satisfied with the results I would like to know who did the work. I need the tuning slide dealt with and the 2 cracks re done. I know there is no one around here or at least I don`t think there is, so this is a plea...........

Tom
andrew

Post by andrew »

Seized head joints seem to be a big problem .I have a boxwood Potter which has a seized slide which I can't do anything with .I am advised that steam through the headjoint and brute strength can sometimes do it .If anybody has any ideas it could help both of us .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Check with Dave Migoya. Pat Olwell also restores old flutes.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Old Man McGee has a description of an extreme case in his site:
http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/immovable_slide.htm
It's a good read.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

You gota love McGee. Thanks for the link Glauber it was a good read. Makes me think about giving it another try. I guess the worst that could happen is that I will have to have another head made.
I was kinda hoping that David Migoya might read this post and have something to say. I`ll just wait a while before I tear into this thing to see if he chimes in. It is a wied set up though as I can turn the barrel quite easily, which is why I am leaking air in the head. And you would think that if the slide housing is turning that easily in the barrel(short tuning slide housing that is) that a person should be able to remove the whole thing. Alas, not. But at least now I aint afraid of it. Take care

Tom
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

Hey Tom - Peter Noy lives right in Seattle as is as good a maker as anyone in the world.

He does repairs and restorations on antique flutes if I'm not mistaken. Link to his site from Brad Hurley's page.

Regards,
- Ryan
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Thanks Ryan, I`ll get an email off to him tonight.

Tom
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

OK - the site has gone evil...I'm reposting because the original just disappeared!

This is probably a dumb suggestion, but wouldn't a small amount of WD 40 applied with the convenient nozzle thingy work wonders? You could wipe it off really quick afterwards? We all know the stuff does wonders with corroded/gunked up metal parts.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER - I've never tried this...it could be a way bad idea. :party:

Eric
RobBBQ
Tell us something.: Drum maker and music enthusiast who also has a day job. Hoping to learn more about music and instruments on the forum!

Post by RobBBQ »

Tom-
Did you ever get the Lehart? When you do, you might just bag that old German flute....just wait and see!

R
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

I don`t know about the WD-40 Eric. It somehow seems to go against the grane if you know what I mean. But I won`t rule it out.
As far as the Lehart goes I got a letter from him yesterday saying he sent the flute the same time he sent the letter so I figure tomorrow or Saterday. But no I will not hang up the old flute. I already am in love with it and it is old and has an old sound and all that, plus it has keys. In fact I ordered a humidor a couple of days ago to keep all 3 of my wooden flutes in and have some control over humidity and temp and whatnot. They are my treasures as I am sure the Lehart will be and I can`t see not playing them all from time to time.

Tom
glauber

Post by glauber »

WD40 does wonders, but it's also very toxic, i hear.

Peter Noy makes gorgeous flutes. I bet he's a good restorer too.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

What about a citrus-based penetrating oil? I can't think of a particular name right now, but that might be an excellent choice. It will still be somewhat toxic, because there are other solvents in the formulation, but you aren't going to drink the stuff, anyway.

I used to live in Florida, and we would get d-limonene(the active ingredient in all citrus cleaners, etc) from the citrus plants. At the time, they had little market for the stuff, and would give it away. That stuff was a super-penetrant. I used it on everything metal that was stuck, and it worked like WD-40 only wished it would. If you managed to get some of that, you could unstick the slide most probably, if you could find a place to squeeze it in. It might be a good bet.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Well I never heard of that stuff Rondo so the search is on. I put the flute together today after 3 days of oiling and my god what a nice flute. It is a for sure keeper. It is so easy to play and has real good volume and well anyway its a keeper. Had to put it away though as the mail woman brought me the sweatest old Olwell bamboo flute in F....................

Tom