OT: Stopping Popups

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: Stopping Popups

Post by Martin Milner »

Why is it that most of the popups I get are advertisments for products for stopping popups?

Az, is this one of your eternal stairs things again?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
SteveK

Re: OT: Stopping Popups

Post by SteveK »

Martin Milner wrote:Why is it that most of the popups I get are advertisments for products for stopping popups?
Isn't that annoying? For awhile I was getting about 10 of those every time I did anything on the computer. They were the only popups I was getting. It's kind paying protection.

Steve
Marko

Post by Marko »

i was about to recommend Mozilla as a good free browser with a pop-up stopper built in, then i realised i have no idea what im talking about. it did sort me out however. some really odd stuff was popping up whenever i used the other browser
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I downloaded the Google toolbar which has a pop-up blocker. It works pretty good and it's free.

Click on this text to go to the website.

Cheers,
Aaron
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

As mentioned, Mozilla is a good browser with the ability to block most pop-ups.

Another possibility is to block them with a firewall. I recommend everyone run with some kind of firewall anyway; the one I personally use at home, Zone Alarm Pro, has features for blocking both popups and in-page ads.

--James
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

And those spam emails that say, "Tired of Spam?"

I delete them without looking. Maybe they're selling a recipe book.

Best wishes,
Jerry
glauber

Post by glauber »

Opera is another good choice. You can turn off all popups except for the ones you request by clicking on a Javascript link.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

AaronMalcomb wrote:I downloaded the Google toolbar which has a pop-up blocker. It works pretty good and it's free.

Click on this text to go to the website.

Cheers,
Aaron
Excellent, thanks Aaron - gave it a quick test drive - 3 popups stopped in the first ten seconds.

I didn't actually expect a solution, I was just having a moan. Once again I bow to the wisdom of the Chiffers!

Cheers, Martin
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
glauber

Post by glauber »

There was some outcry in the past about the Google toolbar "calling home", i.e.: telling Google about what sites you visit. I'm not sure if this is still the case; anyone heard about it recently?

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Marko

Post by Marko »

i tried the google toolbar, and lots of stuff got through. although google was behaving very oddly then anyway, maybe they've got it sorted now.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I've had good luck with the Google toolbar. A few popups still get through--maybe one or two a day--but in the 1 1/2 months I've had it, it's blocked 595 popups according to the counter on the toolbar. It's particularly satisfying to hear that little click and to see that tiny yellow "x" every time it stops one of those suckers.
serpent

Messenger popups

Post by serpent »

One thing you can do to stop a bunch of the popups is to kill the Messenger service, if you're on WinDoze. You have to have Administrator rights to do this in Win2K or XP Pro, but it's easy, and very effective. I get no popups now except those from HTML, and I don't bother to block those, because I don't like "toolbars" from companies with a finger in the pie, who want to know what I'm doing. Besides, I want to know what The Hunger Site is selling - they have some neat stuff from time to time.
Cheers, :D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

I have this ADBLASTER popup that makes me nuts. And there is another one about the security of my computer, that when it comes up, I have to restart my computer to get rid of it, as it has no way to shut it off. I have a firewall up and still get the adblasters. :moreevil: :moreevil: :moreevil:
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Well, I use Camino on a Mac with OSX and that has a popup blocker function, as well. I like that it doesn't bother to tell me every time it blocks one. I just ignore them because there's no reminder they exist.

And before anyone jumps on Macs, please note that I don't have problems with viruses when everyone else gets infected and frustrated. I also work with a PC at work and have to deal with roughly 3 crashes a week. My Mac has locked up 4 times in over a year. Four. That's all.

Regarding the Google toolbar reporting on visits, I sort of expect software like this to do so. They have to justify their existence somehow. I don't choose to install anything that I suspect will be spyware, and that's why I don't have the Google toolbar on my computer at work.

-Patrick
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

if you download something called spybot search and destroy, it scans your computer for things that can cause excessive popups and stuff. it is completely free and honest.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|