Reading the Uillean Pipes Forum

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Pat has best solution. When I say Union, I still have to explain.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"Alien" pipes.

Just ask Lorenzo. He's in thrall to Cthulhu, himself, and let the cat out of the bag. :D
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

This sneaking into the whistle forum always kind of reminds me of public school -- when you'd get enough nerve to quicky run into the girl's washroom! Ya kind of have to be a little giddy and fearless. Although nobody's sent me to Dale's office for discipline yet, so I might visit more often :lol:

The Uilleann forum is more like going to shop class, and learning to work the lathes and stuff -- but you've got to look out for the tough kids and pranksters.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Paul did not just use the girls' washroom as a metaphor for my forum of choice, did he?

Alright, Paul, down to the principal's office with you!

:wink:
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

A simile -- almost a smilie :)
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Whip it, whip it good...
Davey

that explains...

Post by Davey »

ahh Paul...that explains a LOT about you... heh!

I always just stick with the "Ill-en as in chillin"..most people get that...

I once had a kid say I looked like I was being strangled by an antique vacuum cleaner...

...I quite liked that one!
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

At times the UP forum is more having a smoke in the boys' room...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Pat Cannady wrote:At times the UP forum is more having a smoke in the boys' room...
Funny stuff in those cigarettes. :boggle:
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

No comment :D

At least we don't get in pointless political debates every 2-3 days.

We do get rather agitated about the narrow vs. wide bore debate, and the parlor vs. travelling vs. rock n' reel styles debate...And oh, yes, poor Royce's missing Bourke chanter. And the whereabouts and merits of certain pipemakers.

The chanter tops debate is sparking some discussion, too, but I could think of much more interesting things to talk about.

Here's one for some of you whistlers to consider:

No matter how nice an instrument you acquire, NOBODY but NOBODY can make you any good at playing it - except you and your commitment to being the best whistler/flautist/piper you can be. A good instrument will give you room to grow that a mediocre instrument may not provide, but you still have to commit to daily listening and practice regimen if you want to improve.

It's the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about, even if the room reeks of elephant sh*t and peanuts.
Davey

Imagine....

Post by Davey »

Can you imagine if C & F had Bohdrhan (bohrhdhahrhan? i always forget) forum? Just think of the insanity (or is that inanity) that would go on over there!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Re: Imagine....

Post by Nanohedron »

Davey wrote:Can you imagine if C & F had Bohdrhan (bohrhdhahrhan? i always forget) forum? Just think of the insanity (or is that inanity) that would go on over there!
Yeah, instead of "Hello! Newbie here", it'd be "Gimme Some Skin!" or "Please Beat Me" and the like...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Pat Cannady wrote:
We do get rather agitated about the narrow vs. wide bore debate, and the parlor vs. travelling vs. rock n' reel styles debate...And oh, yes, poor Royce's missing Bourke chanter. And the whereabouts and merits of certain pipemakers.
I've actually popped across to chat about that last topic myself. And I don't even play pipes. Chutzpah, I guess, but I can't help it.

I guess you can find wide and narrow bores here too, but we try not to have debates about them.

Pat Cannady wrote: Here's one for some of you whistlers to consider:

No matter how nice an instrument you acquire, NOBODY but NOBODY can make you any good at playing it - except you and your commitment to being the best whistler/flautist/piper you can be. A good instrument will give you room to grow that a mediocre instrument may not provide, but you still have to commit to daily listening and practice regimen if you want to improve.
Anyone here ever denied that? I think you've been overexposed to the Royceter. Nah, can't be that. What you said actually makes sense. :P
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Nanohedron wrote:
Davey wrote:Can you imagine if C & F had Bohdrhan (bohrhdhahrhan? i always forget) forum? Just think of the insanity (or is that inanity) that would go on over there!
Yeah, instead of "Hello! Newbie here", it'd be "Gimme Some Skin!" or "Please Beat Me" and the like...
Do I detect just a slight hint of arousal here Nano? :lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Wombat wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Do I detect just a slight hint of arousal here Nano? :lol:

Slight?

It's all that leather and the metal studs around the rim that get me going...not to mention that jolly whipping action needed to play it. Please, may I have another?

When everyone's tuning up, I like to lean over to the drummer and say, "Hey, gimme an A, there." Some actually have it. :boggle: