Reading the Uillean Pipes Forum

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wombat
antispam: No

Re: Reading the Uillean Pipes Forum

Post by Wombat »

peteinmn wrote:.... never in my entire life have I ever even considered dipping my reed in oil overnight. These people must be stopped before they corrupt the morals of all the young folks that visit this board. :D :D
Michael Grinter recommends that you dip your head in almond oil for five minutes and let it drain down through the tube overnight. But only once a month, mind ... we whistlers are sensible folk afer all. :P

If you follow Michael's advice, you won't really care much what happens to your reed.
peteinmn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peteinmn »

Wombat

I don't know who this Grintner guy is but, you need to be careful. First you start by dipping your head in Almond Oil and say to yourself, "well this ain't so bad, I'll just do this once in a while and I can always stop anytime I want". Then after while, dipping your head no longer has the thrills it once had and you begin to have fantisies about scraping your reed and the next thing you know your mixing bear fat and beeswax and dipping your reed in oil! If your not careful, you'll end up in the gutter playing one of those infernal contraptions and smelling of rancid bear grease.

Me, I draw the line at playing with some bluetack around my orifaces ... well maybe also just a little twisting and pulling my head to get the tone right. :P
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Wombat wrote: Michael Grinter recommends that you dip your head in almond oil for five minutes
I just tried this, and I could only hold my breath for a minute, minute-and-a-half, tops. And though my hair has never felt silkier, it took a very long shower to get all the oil out. Even once a month seems a bit too much for me.

Peteinmn has now gone off talking about dipping my reed in oil, and playing with bluetack around one's orifices. This is a family board, you know, and such talk has no place here. Pipers! Always droning on and on . . .
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Michael Grinter recommends that you dip your head in almond oil for five minutes
:boggle:
How many years do you have to have been playing low whistle before your breath control is good enough to do that? :lol:
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

rimshot, rimshot. ba-doom-doom. :lol:
Hiiii-yoooooooooo

You are correct, sir!

Now if this was the UP Forum we could get a four-pager from the Royce-inator about said almond oil treatment.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:
Michael Grinter recommends that you dip your head in almond oil for five minutes
:boggle:
How many years do you have to have been playing low whistle before your breath control is good enough to do that? :lol:
You have to have been playing about as long as the Royceter.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

The Weekenders wrote:Now if this was the UP Forum we could get a four-pager from the Royce-inator about said almond oil treatment.
So thaaaat's where he comes from... :roll:
Marko

Post by Marko »

ok im embarrased to ask this, but how do you pronounce ullean pipes? im ok with the pipes part, and i always though it was pronounced u-le-ann, with a hard u and ann like the name? but i work with a scot who pronounces it ill-awn, with the second part like yawn, cept without the y.
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Nope, it's ILL-en or, if you prefer, ILL-yen (there are regional dialects, so you'll always get several suggestions, especially when people transcribe for English-speakers who themselves may read the same transcription differently depending on where THEY come from).

See Dale's hilarious guide to Irish pronunciation, which he re-posted recently on one of the high-temperature threads after removing it from the home page after some touchy idiots said it was offensive.

Tomato 8) , anyone?
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

I always says it's Hooligans' pipes. For proof, see their forum :P
Roger O'Keeffe wrote:Tomato 8) , anyone?
Sure, it's a welcome change from repetitive Potaters posts.
Be my guest. :tomato:
Cees
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Hey jim_mc, I love your new avatar!!! Did you draw it yourself? I think it's great!! :)
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I have this big old pickle jar in the back of my closet, see, and every night when I take my pants off, I dump my pocket change into that jar. I always have at least $0.92 (for reasons I won't go into here), and it's been a good 20 months I've been doing this, so you do the math.

The idea was that at some point I'd have enough money in the jar to send off to Pat Olwell or Hammy Hamilton. Then I started having this nagging urge to send it to Seth Gallagher instead.

It's my mental health I'm talking about! I realize this is somewhat off-topic, but Dale is a psychologist (or something like that), isn't he?

Roger, please post a link to that pronunciation guide. I can't seem to find it, and if someone finds it offensive, I'll probably really enjoy it.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Cees, I did do the avatar myself, with Microsoft Paint. I'm glad you like it. I do a little hand cartooning, and at Walden's suggestion I recently started experimenting with Paint.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I always say Union. "An historically correct" alternative, (sniff). And solves the dilemma. Both bodhran and uilleann are subjected to highly creative variant pronunciations. nobody really knows how either are pronounced.

Kidding! :lol: But not by much.
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

Because i get tired of spelling and pronouncing "uilleann" for people who have not encountered the instrument before, I just call 'em "Irish bagpipes" and leave it at that.