Dale's Whistle Maker rules were detrimental to the site.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Parcour25
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dale's Whistle Maker rules were detrimental to the site.

Post by Parcour25 »

That's my opinion... :lol:

This forum has become a lot less appealing to me since the ultimatum came down. I didn't really study it (because it got boring after the first few lines), sorry, it sounded like a grouchy boss or a human resources policeman.

Blah, blah, blah... talk to the hand cause the ears ain't listening.

The take away I got was that some of the reticent makers got jealous of other more verbal makers so this silly speaking manual was published and everybody just shut up. The net result was a gross dimunition of the more interesting aspects of this site.

I learned everything I know here, and now is seems like it's gone from graduate school to kindergarten. Too late now, the damage is done. Just wanted to say chow baby. :cry:
Tryst me. I am, yours truly......

Parcour v. D'Chasse, Esq.

Save the trees,..... not the Bush....
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Bye bye!!!
serpent

Sorry, I, of all people, disagree

Post by serpent »

I just re-read the rules, and I've been well within the letter of the law. I announce stuff without competitive language, and that's what the rules say I can do. So there, you knigggggeettts that blasted me. And I don't ever try to one-up my whistlesmith colleagues with "my whistles are better than your whistles". Serpent whistles are Serpent whistles. They're not Howards, or Abells, or Busmans. They stand on their own and don't need for me to brag about them. Ask my users, instead. So in my monthly update, I usually just say what I'm making, and talk about changes and upgrades - and I NEVER put anyone else's whistles down save in good humor and a sense of silly fun.
I own a Busman. It's great, and I love it.
I own an Elfsong. It's great, and I love it.
I own 3 Albas. They're great, and I love 'em.
Also Clarkes, Gens, and even some no-names from England. They are all decent whistles, and I love 'em.
When I play, I play the whistle that suits the venue. I want volume, I play an Alba SE. I want sweet, I play the Elfsong. I want slight chiff and "personality", I play Serpent, and I want even, smooth sound, it's the Busman that comes out.

Don't run away! Just post your opinions. Your praise is more valuable to me than any ad copy I could ever write, and I think my colleagues will agree with me there. Play our whistles, and review us!

Cheers, :D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

I guessed I missed it, but nobody Likes me anyway! Right Bill ol' Chap??
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
Jack

Post by Jack »

serpent, you're announcing things left and right, waay over more than once a month, and that's what's bothering me at least. You're announcing that you have this or you've done that, the posts are everywhere and if every maker was allowed to do what you're doing, the board would be littered with such posts. Sure, with just you the board isn't littered at all, but how is it equal time to equal makers with you having your stuff everywhere? It's not fair to all the people who obey the rules and keep this board free of so many 'LOOK WHAT I INVENTED NOW BUY IT :D (can't forget the happy face)' posts.

You're totally not getting the point at all.

It has nothing to do whether you like Abells or Elfsongs or Clarkes.

Im not commenting on this subject any further or clicking on this message to read it any more.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Well, the rules aren't terribly restrictive. Of course, they would be more important if it were an email list. Some lists are bogged down with commercial posters. It can feel like some people think it's your duty to buy their products, which is unfair and covetous, ultimately. I have not generally experienced that feeling at Chiff and Fipple however.
Reasonable person
Walden
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Personally I have not read any of Serpents posts, I switch off the moment I think someone is launching a load of sales pitch.
I think however the restrictions on commercial posts are fine, I simply hate it when people try to sell you stuff all the time, we had our Steve Powers, Phil Hardys nad the like and recently Mike Burke is is jumping at every occasion to tell us he has a CD in stock and wouldn't it be grand if we ordered it all with him. I don't care for that behaviour at all, if I want to read adds, I'll start opening the spam or read the back end pages of the Clare Champion.
trisha

Post by trisha »

With respect, with a neat list of thread titles and posters' names, no-one is forced to read any post at all :roll: if they feel it won't be to their taste.

And of course, you don't have to continue to read a thread that you don't like either.

Trisha, who won't be reading this thread again :)
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yeah, policies suck; not having them is sometimes
worse. We've been trying to get this one
right for years. I don't envy anybody who
monitors a message board. Happy trails!
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i believe commercial post are just fine, if they say what's new and explain why with the details. i don't think building whistles has made anyone rich yet, except for maybe the cheap brands.

but i vote to ban politics :)
Last edited by lixnaw on Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Commercial posts don't particularly bother me, especially when they come from regular contributors to this board who provide a good bit of useful stuff that is totally unrelated to their own businesses. I came up with the guidelines in response to what I perceived to be a kind of rough consensus among members about commercial messages. Actually, it's more of a compromise than a consensus. There are a number of veteran members who feel strongly that NO commercial messages should be permitted. I also wantedto consider Rich's situation. Rich arranges for the server for chiffboard and for it to be used to provide advertising is a bit problematic, potentially.

I really think it's a fair compromise and it is loosely enforced anyway. And yet, from time to time, it sends some people in the whistle business into a bit of an uproar--apparently because someone dares to put limits on their free advertising and publicity. I am prepared to live with that and, to date, I've not lost a second of sleep over it.

Dale
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

This is the only place that I have to learn about what is available, what does it sound like, and how does it play. When postings are too restrictive I lose information. If I don't want to hear a sales pitch I don't open the post. I find the bashing of makers who "overpost" more tiresome than their posts. Every whistlemaker that is on this board has given me answers to technical questions that I have posted. If I can't get that information here because a maker is afraid to post there is nowhere else I can go.
Keep whistling.
Ron
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Does this mean Parcour25 is leaving the board?
Ron, any maker should be able to explain or answer technical questions about his/her whistles without making a sales pitch about their product. It's not hard to stay within the guidelines.
slowair

Post by slowair »

First of all, as someone who use to own a retail business that had a "specialty", I can tell you that message boards and newsgroups are almost irresistable as a target for "advertising". Afterall, these are the people most interested in what's for sale.

Second, the original author of this thread and several of the people responding are making an argument for someone's right to speak and what do they do? They speak there mind and then tell everyone they won't be back to hear anyone's reply. "I can talk, but I don't care what you have to say."

What is happening to the world? It's like everyone thinks they live in a damn bubble.

Personally, I would just like to see more topics about whistles and I could care less if it's from makers, sellers or players. It's what I come here for.

I understand this is a community and I expect there to be OT conversation and that is just fine with me. I participate once in a while, but I'm here for information and conversation on and about whistles.

I can't go to too many places to talk about whistles...mostly just here.

I can go just about any place and discuss politics, religion, relationships....yadda, yadda.

More whistle topics....PLEEEEEEEEZ!

Mike
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I don't like subliminal commercials in posts: where the person names the topic something that sounds perfectly reasonable, but you realize once you start reading that it's really a commercial. I much prefer that makers be regular members of the board, giving their input about whistle or OT subjects, then posting a once-a-month ad to let us know what's new or available, with an open, honest thread title, so we can check it out if we wish (and there's at least one maker I can think of right off the top of my head who does this - and I appreciate it).
I have to admit that once I realize that any maker is using their regular everyday posts as commercials, I stop reading their posts - not as any sort of boycott, simply because I know the post will eventually turn into a commercial.

Susan