Hello!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TrueStar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hello!

Post by TrueStar »

I've been lurking on the forum for the past couple of days now, (feels more like a couple of weeks) so I guess I'd better introduce myself. :D

Last month I went to the Maryland Renaissance Festival with my boyfriend. He's a semi-career musician as in game developers hire him to write music for videogames. Of course this means we have to stop at every place that sells instruments so he can check them out.

We came across a place that sold flutes and whistles and spent a lot of time there sampling what they had. The boyfriend insisted I should try to pick up an instrument because he thought I would enjoy trying to learn and play. I thought about it for awhile and figured that the whistles there weren't that much, so it wouldn't hurt to take his advice. I talked to the man at the store and took his suggestion of buying a Susato Kildare in C along with Bill Ochs' instruction book.

I have never played an instrument before and I didn't know how to read a bit of sheet music. Nor had I bothered to listen to any Irish music. Even so, I've really enjoyed playing. I'll be at work and think about sitting down and playing some when I get home. It's so easy to just pick up and play, not to mention relaxing. The musician-boyfriend gets a kick out of out me asking him about basic musical stuff. Sometimes he'll sit with his guitar and follow along with my playing.

Even more surprising is the community of people who share the same interest. I was kind of pleasantly surprised when I came across this forum. This is my first real post, but I've had so many questions answered just by reading through old threads. Since then I've ordered L.E. McCullough's instruction book with the CD set and a Clarke Sweetone in the key of D. The other book I got didn't come with a CD and I think the boyfriend is tired of me demanding that he play the music on his keyboard so I can hear it. :oops:

Sorry for my rambling but thank you for reading and sharing your knowledge on this forum. :) At least now when I post in the future, you will know who the heck I am. If you have any advice for a total beginner like me, feel free to share!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Welcome aboard! Warning...this habit is strongly addictive!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Welcome.

Do you mean to tell us that you have never ever played the recorder before...that the whistle is truly your first instrument?

Congratulations!

JP
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

Warning...this habit is strongly addictive!
Very true.

Something about the sound of these things, it just never gets dull.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
TrueStar

Post by TrueStar »

Ahh..the recorder. :) Yes actually I may have played that in a music class or two in elementary school. It's too long ago for me to actually remember any of it though. You've just reminded me.

Aside from that I've never picked up an instrument of my own free will.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
madguy

Post by madguy »

TrueStar, welcome aboard, and prepare to empty your wallet!!! :)

~Larry
cj

Post by cj »

Welcome!
Marko

Post by Marko »

welcome to the board :party:
littlejohngael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Hi Truestar!

I just greeted you in another thread, but just to make sure I greet you "good and proper," welcome to C&F!! Nice to have another DC-area whistler around. I'm located in Virginia. There are a couple of DC-ers on the board, so we must be infecting people! :o

All the best!

Little John
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

:party:
Welcome!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Howdy do, TrueStar.
Reasonable person
Walden
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Welcome to the board. I am also in Maryland. One month and you have bought your second whistle. You are in trouble. I recommend a trip to the House of Musical Traditions in Takoma Park where you can see some other whistles that you haven't bought yet. Take lots of money. Of course try the link from this site to The Whistle Shop as well. By the way pay strict attention to the advice you receive on this board. Then go and do what you were going to do anyway.

Ron
TrueStar

Post by TrueStar »

Yeah really, I just recieved my second whistle in the mail today. I bought it from the Whistle Shop along with the book. I tried looking for that book all over the local bookstores and just couldn't find it.

I've already talked my other half into going to the House of Musical Traditions. Not very hard to talk him into going into a music store, but we plan to make a day trip out of it.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome! It's really cool to see local people about. :)
artguy

Post by artguy »

Welcome and congrats on your newly found addiction.

I'm sorry to hear you got the Bill Och's book without the CD(that is, if I read your first post correctly. If I've misread it, please ignore the following:). I'm not sure if there is a way to buy just the CD but if there isn't buy the Book/CD combo and just have 2 copies of the book. Then you could leave a copy at home and one in your car. Or better yet, send me your extra book and I'll see to it that it gets a good home. :)

Sorry for that rambling...anyway, welcome to your new home away from home.

bob
<b>"Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweeter..."</b>
—John Keats
"Ode on a Grecian Urn" (1820)
serpent

Re: Hello!

Post by serpent »

TrueStar wrote:I've been lurking on the forum for the past couple of days now, (feels more like a couple of weeks) so I guess I'd better introduce myself. :D

Last month I went to the Maryland Renaissance Festival with my boyfriend. He's a semi-career musician as in game developers hire him to write music for videogames. Of course this means we have to stop at every place that sells instruments so he can check them out.

We came across a place that sold flutes and whistles and spent a lot of time there sampling what they had. The boyfriend insisted I should try to pick up an instrument because he thought I would enjoy trying to learn and play. I thought about it for awhile and figured that the whistles there weren't that much, so it wouldn't hurt to take his advice. I talked to the man at the store and took his suggestion of buying a Susato Kildare in C along with Bill Ochs' instruction book.

I have never played an instrument before and I didn't know how to read a bit of sheet music. Nor had I bothered to listen to any Irish music. Even so, I've really enjoyed playing. I'll be at work and think about sitting down and playing some when I get home. It's so easy to just pick up and play, not to mention relaxing. The musician-boyfriend gets a kick out of out me asking him about basic musical stuff. Sometimes he'll sit with his guitar and follow along with my playing.

Even more surprising is the community of people who share the same interest. I was kind of pleasantly surprised when I came across this forum. This is my first real post, but I've had so many questions answered just by reading through old threads. Since then I've ordered L.E. McCullough's instruction book with the CD set and a Clarke Sweetone in the key of D. The other book I got didn't come with a CD and I think the boyfriend is tired of me demanding that he play the music on his keyboard so I can hear it. :oops:

Sorry for my rambling but thank you for reading and sharing your knowledge on this forum. :) At least now when I post in the future, you will know who the heck I am. If you have any advice for a total beginner like me, feel free to share!
Welcome! My advice to you is play and have fun! The more play, the more fun! The folk here are generally wonderful - Had it not been for Chiff and Fipple, there would be no Serpent Music, most likely!
Cheers, :D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"