How Many of Us are Irish?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jeferson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

I recently bought a $2.00 tacky t-shirt that has "Half of me is 90% Irish" printed on it. It certainly elicits goofy smiles from others. :)

Jef
PS Of course, the truth is it's only 6.98557%.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

I was born in Dublin. Emmigrated to Canada at the age of 2. Went back to Dublin at 7 for a year, then (like the hornpipe) off to California. Haven't been back since 1978 when I was stationed in Germany (USAF). Hope to go next summer for a giant family reunion.

Now, my dad's name, Higgins, goes way back, but I found out a couple of years ago that his mother was brought to Ireland in the late 1800s as a baby from Eastern Europe or Russia by a single Jewish mother. Our guess is her husband was killed and she fled. My mom's family has a French name. My cousin on that side did geneology research and belongs to the Heugonot Society in Ireland. They are decendents of French soldiers who fought for the English, I think in the 1700's. I believe French officers were given property in Ireland. Now, I hear Dublin is packed with immigrants from all over the world because of job opportunities.

We currently have 6 people from Dublin visiting us for my sister's wedding which was today. (There was plenty of whistle playing before, during, and after the ceremony- by me. :) ) My cousin taught some ceili dancing during the reception to Off to California and Six Penny Money (different dances). I took some of the relatives home to my mom's after the reception and put on a Martin Hayes cd in the car. One of the visitors, a friend of my cousin's, and a regular ceili dancer told me she's sat in to hear a kitchen session with Martin Hayes for quite a few years running during Willie Clancy Week.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

jim_mc wrote:In the U.S., when people speak of being proud of their heritage, many of them are speaking of people that they actually know, or knew. It is often our parents or grandparents who emigrated, many times under adverse circumstances, and who have passed on stories of life in the old country.

My wife's grandparents, one set from Abruzzi (Italy) and one set from Donegal, told wonderful stories about their childhoods, their moves to the U.S., and the joys and hardships of their lives. They also had some photographs of the places they came from. It's endlessly fascinating stuff, if you ask me. We're unlikely to ever experience the kind of adventures they did, because of the way the world has changed. When they got on the boat to America (circa 1910-1920), they must have thought that the chance of ever visiting home again was very slim, and even that further communication with loved ones back home would be very limited. It must have taken a lot of courage.

Just my $.02.

Jim (1/8 Canadian, on my father's side).
Although my direct ancesters emigrated earlier, I have a similar kind of background and my family still has stories about the lives of the early immigrants and the worlds they left behind. I value my old-world heritage just as much as I accept the reality of my own new-world life and upbringing.

In starting this thread, I was just curious to know who actually is Irish and how many of us there are who fit that description, as opposed to the very large numbers of us who have some Irishness in their background.

I certainly don't denigrate the idea that one may legitmately indentify in part with the culture of one's parents and grandparents since I do this myself. I don't think one should carry it to ridiculous extremes either. The person I know who is most impatient with immigrant Irishness is a friend born and raised in Drogheda. Having lived in Australia off and on for about 12 years he no longer regards himself as Irish, a view I find a bit strange. He doesn't in any way reject the culture though; once when staying with me he flipped through some CDs, picked out a Seamus Ennis and remarked 'I must listen to this, Seamus used to visit my father frequently when I was growing up.'
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

How can ye say it don't count?!! Me great granddaddy, Seamus O'Walden came to Ellis Island during the tater famine, and lived for 8 years in Tammany Hall! He fought bravely for the Yanks in the Civil War of Northern Aggression, and received five purple hearts in 1864! He then bought a prairie schooner, with a bumper sticker which read, "Oregon or Burst," and headed for the Gold Rush of 1849. He set up a pub which had sessions every night. I was born at one of those sessions!!! In 1893, he moved, into Oklahoma, the way all people who count did, in the Cherokee Strip Land Theft... err... I mean Run. Actually, he snuck in beforehand, as a great hero, and caught a mountain boomer. He thus received the honored nickname "Boomer Sooner." He founded the University of Oklahoma. ;)
Reasonable person
Walden
Jack

Post by Jack »

All my ancestors come from Atlantis.
callybeg

Post by callybeg »

Cranberry a chara - what happened to your pure juice?

Callybeg (concerned for your general well being and zestiness.)
if it harms none do as you will
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

callybeg wrote:One possiblity is that it doesn't matter one way or the other what nationality any of us are. ...
...It pisses me off when people say that they are "proud to be American/Irish/Chinese or whatever." ...

... The world we live in is blurring its edges, and we can all share in other cultures and learn from them.

... I don't care what nationality we all are - keep on whistling!
I totally agree that it doesn't matter *to me* (and IMHO, 'shouldn't' matter to anyone) what nationality, race, creed, gender, etc. someone is, as I prefer tto get to know a person as who they *are* not just what they *appear* to be, or based on any pre(oftern 'mis')conceptions I or others may have.

The "I'm proud to be..." thing only offends me when it carries an implication that to be otherwise is somehow less desirable or accetable... nonsense!

I'm proud of many things in my life, not at all proud of others, and determined not to be limited by either. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

My root come completely for Ireland but I'm a Mercun, born in Motown. I learned how much I was American when I lived in Switzerland in the 1970s. I do, however, have Irish citizenship and an Irish passport but really, I still just a Yank.
Mike
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Another reason for associating one's self with a particular heritage is because of surname. That is my case. In my great grandparents 5/8 were born in the US, 1/4 in Ireland, and 1/8 in Canada. It just happens that my great grandfather Kiley or Kiely was Irish. If I go back a few more generations I find a great deal of german and dutch. One reason I search out the information is my belief that we are the sum of all who have gone before. When I visited Ireland I went down on the quay at Cork city. It is impossible for me to describe my feelings knowing that my great grandfather stepped aboard a ship there never to see his native land again. He never forgot it though and he impressed upon my grandfather that he was Irish. My father and I got the same treatment. Many may not care what there family went through in coming here and that is just fine. I want to know who they were and what they did. Keep whistling.

Ron
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Made in America. :D

(With >50% Irish parts) :P
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-The portion of my heritage from Ireland came to America from 1776 to 1889, contributing genes to both paternal & maternal sides of the family. Other portions of the family came from England, Scotland, Holland, Germany & France. I know I'm more American than anything else-Catsup is my favorite vegetable! :D

"...The river flowing like ketchup on a bun..."
Catsup Advisory Board spot
Minnesota Public Radio's "A Prairie Home Companion"
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

If your mother is mam, you could be Irish.

If your mother is mom, you could be American.

If your mother is mum, you could be English.

If your mother is dad, you're confused.
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

I'm Irish. But spending some time in the States!
Deirdre
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ Martin Milner
If your mother is dad, you're confused.
I resent that.

edited to add 'joking', in case it wasn't clear, which, lately, it hasn't been. i love you, martin.
Marko

Post by Marko »

Born and raised in Sligo, living in London :( at the moment.