SF/Bay Area wh. meet: Pics & mp3 link on pg. 11

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

If I can make it (I can make most dates except evening on the 8th), I'll most likely bring my wife and daughters (15 & 10).

Don't really have any other IrTrad instruments I can bring (I don't think the Low D Whistle/Flute combo counts - I'm pretty poor on the flute, yet), and I refuse to try IrTrad on the recorder (why?). Both daughters are pretty decent pianists, though, if one's available.

Kid entertainment is good, though both of mine can happily read for hours if nothing else offers. We're omnivores, pretty much, of the more-pepper-is-good variety.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

If I'm able to make it, will most likely have hubby and 10-year-old daughter ("will there be kids there, mom?") in tow.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Switchfoot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Switchfoot »

I just had another thought. Will anyone be bringing other instruments besides whistles? That might help break things up and expose us to other ITM and folk instruments available.

Please consider that.
Ha! I'm lousy enough on my whistles without having to also play another instrument :P
(I could bring a drum set, but that is neither folk, Itrad or appreciated by neighbors or people in the same room :D )
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Switchfoot wrote:
I just had another thought. Will anyone be bringing other instruments besides whistles? That might help break things up and expose us to other ITM and folk instruments available.

Please consider that.
Ha! I'm lousy enough on my whistles without having to also play another instrument :P
(I could bring a drum set, but that is neither folk, Itrad or appreciated by neighbors or people in the same room :D )
Unfortunately, all I play is the whistle and...well...that other fippled instrument that we don't talk about ;).

Redwolf
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Here is part of an email that Weekender sent to me about Tony's neighborhood:
She has a bit of a backyard and the canyon is two blocks away, provided someone can go with your child. I have never seen any kids around there as Tony and his siblings are grown up. The canyon has trails and a real park about 1/2 a mile away. Its a safe neighborhood but very hilly right where she lives. Down one block, on my street, there is a culdesac for bike riding, etc. Scotch it all if it rains.
So if it is dry, sounds like there will be some outside opportunities as well.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

It's on for Nov 8. My mom is totally happy with having you guys over. (I told her you were all virtuoso musicians and she was delighted. She has high expectations. Don't dissappoint, she has a short fuse and sharp objects.) :o

Yes, if it's not too cold and windy or rainy, the hills up the street are great for walking and Lance's street would be safe for bike riding. But someone would need to accompany youngsters.

Now we need to talk food....
Tony

ps: just kidding about my mom.
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

I'd better savor this moment, it is the first and most likely last time anyone has described me as a virtuoso :D
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

[quote="TonyHiggins"]

Now we need to talk food....
Tony
quote]

Also the earliest time you would like to have us arrive. I was considering just after lunch time.

I am bringing, uh hum, WE are bringing some homemade pizza crust and a few things to put on them. If you have a favorite, bring it too.

Salads are good, other hot dishes. Oh, I almost forgot....

Dessert! we will probably sneak something along those lines in as well.

I also hope that others will bring instruments besides whistles (hint hint)
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

NorCalMusician wrote:Also the earliest time you would like to have us arrive. I was considering just after lunch time.
That is way too early for this thing if it is going to be still be going on at the time I can attend. Judging from the folks I've met on the board, late afternoon/evening would be the time to start this thing up at. I'm not saying you should change everything to fit my schedule but it makes more sense to getogether at 4/5/6:00 on than 12:00, unless you guys plan on playing all day and all night?? Which I doubt. Playing music at night is better in my opinion too.

Regarding food, I'm stuck. I want to make a kick ass dish for a main course but I don't know how many people there will be and I don't want you guys to have to fight off hawk to eat my cookin'... plus buying up the materials adds up moneywise after a while. I could just stick to strudel for dessert, but I'd like to make something else. Anyways, if you want the resident chiffy chef to make up something just ask and get it organized so I know how much to make.

Jack
No I'm not returning...
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

For instrumentation, I'll be bringing a guitar, mandolin, fiddle, and whistles. People are free to play the ones I'm not. Is a 12 string OK, or should it be only a 6? I have both.

As for food, I won't eat much, unless someone really insists. I can bring a couple of bottles for the whiners, and maybe something to eat. But I will have to drive 112(?) miles, to get home.

I'm looking forward to this. I plan to learn all the songs in the 120 song Irish songbook by McCullugh (sp?). Any other book I should consider? We will use music, right? Can I bring another guitar player? Tony has played with him (Tom). Or does it look like it will be just packed. Should we bring chairs?

JP
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I can bring my famous spinach salad, or perhaps cold sesame noodles, if preferred. As far as instruments go, I can BRING a fife and a bodhran, but I can't play either of them (Hubby is still learning them. Still, if anyone wants to give them a go...).

This sounds like a lot of fun. I've never played with other people before (heck, I never met anyone who knew what a whistle WAS before I found this board!).

Redwolf
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Boy, a good thing my mom doesn't look at this msg board. (She doesn't have a computer, actually.) Murph, I had a general sense that some people would come early and leave early because that's what their schedule allowed and others would show up later and leave later. Now, if they leave before dinner time, who's fault is that? We should have a head count for dinner, anyway. Is 5 or 6pm better? Let's get another head count! And, Murph, seeing as I'm an admitted whimp when it comes to cooking, I'd be happy to contribute to your expenses (to defray them, I mean) to assuage my own guilt (minimal that it is). I don't think we need extra chairs. We've had some pretty big family gatherings here lots of times and everyone seemed to be sitting at the right time.

John, bring everything you got (except a keyboard). We should probably prohibit accordians while we're at it.

And, hey, maybe we should compile a list of tunes we know in common (and might want to freshen up). McCullough's 121 is a good starting place. I'm sure looking forward to it.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
tanenbaumm

Post by tanenbaumm »

I'd suggest rather than planning a meal very precisely (which might get hairy and complicated) that everyone simply agree to bring a dish. Those who cook can make their "famous [insert famous dish here]". Others can simply bring drinks/chips/cookies, whatever. Everyone who cooks can pipe up here with what they plan to bring...the others will fill in the gaps which will rapidly become obvious. Your food is the price of admission, as it were.

I can bring a nice tuneable bodhran, but I'll be relying on someone else to make beautiful noises with it.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

TonyHiggins wrote: ... Murph, I had a general sense that some people would come early and leave early because that's what their schedule allowed and others would show up later and leave later. Now, if they leave before dinner time, who's fault is that? We should have a head count for dinner, anyway. Is 5 or 6pm better?

...And, hey, maybe we should compile a list of tunes we know in common (and might want to freshen up). McCullough's 121 is a good starting place. I'm sure looking forward to it.
Tony
Tony, I definitely appreciate the "folks we come/go at different times" setup. I'll probably have to bail by 5 PM or so, since I have a board meeting (I'm on the board of my astronomy club, and our swap meet is the next day - lots of last minute details).

Can I suggest that some folks bring "grazing" type food and snacks? Dunno what I'll bring, yet - will consult with the wife, since our best homemade party food requires our combined efforts.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

If we know how late early people can stay until and how early late comers can make it, we can figure the optimal time for dinner to include the most people. I was just suggesting 5 or 6pm as an average.
Tony