Breath requirements and volume: Susato Bb vs Dixon Bb

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Breath requirements and volume: Susato Bb vs Dixon Bb

Post by Redwolf »

OK, so now I'm looking to acquire a Bb whistle so I can play along with dh's fife, and I'm trying to decide between the Susato and the Dixon. Do the characteristics of these two makes hold true in this lower key? Should I expect a Susato to be louder and to require more breath control in the second octave than the Dixon?

Also, I noticed that The Whistle Shop has two Susato Bbs, a "soprano" and an "mezzo-soprano." Any idea as to what the difference would be (and why the "mezzo" costs twice as much?)? It looks, from the website, that the only difference is the bore (small for the soprano vs. medium for the mezzo), but does that really make $24 worth of difference?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Easily_Deluded_Fool
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

I think you will find the Dixon Bb too quiet.
I bought one based on the sop' D experience,
and was dissapointed in the volume.
The bore is the same as the sop' D.
Nice tone; in tune; but way too quiet for my needs.

Generation Bb is louder, although not as nice to listen
to. If you want a loud Bb that has good a quality tone
then be prepared to pay a lot more for one, unless
you can tweak Gen's.

I found an Alba did what I needed :)

HTH
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

Red, they're both nice, in my opinion, but differences exist. The Dixon (got a Bb) is a bit quieter, but isn't too quiet. This is where the "Fool" and I disagree ;) ...I also find my Dixon Bb to be a tad louder than my Generation Bb, to tell the truth! Easier to blow in the upper octave than the Susato, and it has a great, mellow voice that sounds woody to my ear. The Susato (mine's actually a medium bore A) is definitely louder, but I like it very much as well. Yes, it needs more huff in the upper reaches, but I've found that with time, I've adapted to it nicely. I enjoy both...nicely tuned, both cross-finger the Cnat nicely. I like my Dixon enough to keep me from buying a Susato Bb, and my Susato enough to keep me from buying a Dixon A! If I had to choose one, it would probably be the Dixon unless I was concerned about being overwhelmed by other instruments, in which case the Susato is a good move.

Jef
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I've a Susato Bb you can borrow if you like; if someone has a Dixon Bb to lend you can make your own comparison..
Ridseard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ridseard »

The small bore Susato Bb (the cheaper one) plays well but is pretty quiet. If I wanted a Bb, I would just pay more and get the larger bore version.