Tunable whistle maintenance

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
akhleung
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Tunable whistle maintenance

Post by akhleung »

Hi everyone,

the only tunable whistle I have is a Dixon w/ brass slide. I like to wash my whistles fairly often, and it's a slight hassle to re-grease the tuning slide every time I wash my Dixon. Do all tunable whistles need this kind of maintenance, or are there designs that don't need grease? Thanks for any info.

Aaron
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I've never had to grease my Dixon. That must be one tight tuning slide!

The other option is you could just wash the plastic and not mess with the brass.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

A well fitted brass on brass tuning slide should not need greasing. Never do it to any of the ones I make, and don't recommend it to customers. Just keep the slide nice and clean. If it's too tight, you can try "sanding" the male half of the slide carefully with 4-0 steel wool, or 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Work carefully, bit by bit, testing often for fit.
Also, it's a good idea to store your whistle in two pieces-- moisture gets in between the halves of the tuning slide and can cause corrosion of the brass.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Actually, I would like my Dixon tuning slide to be a bit tighter. Sometimes it even slips while I am playing it. I've been thinking of using a little beeswax on it. Is there any reason that I shouldn't?
Mike
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

burnsbyrne wrote:Actually, I would like my Dixon tuning slide to be a bit tighter. Sometimes it even slips while I am playing it. I've been thinking of using a little beeswax on it. Is there any reason that I shouldn't?
Mike
Just use the beeswax sparingly as a first try. It should make it definitely tighter with just a dab.
akhleung
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by akhleung »

Hi everyone,

thanks for the replies. The tuning slide on my Dixon is pretty tight; I couldn't put the whistle back together without grease. It's brass-on-plastic rather than brass-on-brass, so I don't know if that might create more friction.

The thing is, I'd rather not use grease at all! It's gooey, sticks to things, etc.

Aaron
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Will beeswax work on a PVC whistle as well? My Water Weasel A has a loose "tuning slide" as well...
glauber

Post by glauber »

The grease that comes with the M&E PVC flutes, meant to be used on the PVC tenons, is "toilet sealing gasket" which, in turn, is made mostly of beeswax. It'll probably work fine on a Water Weasel (or email Glenn Schultz, ask him what he'd use, and post it here to let us know!).

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
serpent

BEESWAX -- NONE OF YOUR...

Post by serpent »

Beeswax rules for all sorts of things. I use it for steel, plastic, brass... it is easy to clean off with acetone, and easy to reapply, and produces wonderful airtight seals. I don't know any reason to use anything else!`

:D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"