san francisco music

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dgardner

san francisco music

Post by dgardner »

anybody have info on concerts or sessions this weekend thurs-sat in the bay area?
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

No but we will be having a C&F get together on 11/1 or 11/8, most likely the 8th.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I will survive! Oh, as long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive!

I got all my life to live, I got all my love to give!

I will survive!

I will surivive!!

I WILL SURVIVE!!!

;-)
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

For those specific days I don't know of anything going on. But next week both Solas and Golden Bough will be in Berkeley performing. Dervish was here last night, but this is a little too late for you to get there. They were very good, though.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

http://www.sirenmedia.com/music/sessions.htm

Has a list of most of the sessions in the area. Not much for Fridays and Saturdays, though.

For concerts -- if you're open to music other than IrTrad, too -- you might try looking around on:

www.sfgate.com

www.sfbg.com

www.sfweekly.com

Good luck; hope you find something interesting!
glauber

Post by glauber »

When i was in SF this february i was surprised by the paucity of trad music offerings. I was expecting the city to be awash in folk music, but alas, it wasn't.

There are 2 main pub sessions: The Starry Plough and The Plough and the Stars. One is in the city (The Plough and the Stars, i think) the other in Berkeley. You can find them in Googgle. I went to the one in the city, it's right across a fantastic French-Vietnamese restaurant called Le Soleil. The session was great too, even though it was an "off" day, and most of the usual musicians didn't show up.

g
Last edited by glauber on Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Yes, with such a cosmopolitan population in general, and such a large Irish expat population in particular, you'd think we'd have much more opportunity to hear trad music here in the Bay Area. Alas, no.

Some really good musicians around, for sure. Just not too many venues to hear them.