Piping Terminology

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Royce
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Royce »

[quote="Kevin L. Rietmann]

Kenna’s calling one regulator a ‘unison’ regulator would tend to support Breandán Breathnach’s suggestion, put forward in 1971, on the possible origin of the term ‘union’, first found in print in 1791:
[/quote]

Now I have to go back to the find that Pastoral pipe site. I think Pastoral pipes had a regulator some 30-40 years before that.

Royce
Royce

Post by Royce »

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Cyprus/ ... storal.htm

Have a read. Seems the term "union" was also mis-applied to the pastoral pipes further confusing early terminology.

Royce
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

From the Pastoral pipe website:

"The Pastoral Bagpipe is also known as the New Bagpipe. The Pastoral Bagpipe also has been called the Hybrid Union-pipe which was coined by William A. Cocks. However, to call these bagpipes Hybrid Union-pipe creates a misconception of these wonderfull bagpipes since these bagpipes are an earlier instrument than the Uilleann Bagpipe (Union-pipes). The concert pitch Pastoral Bagpipe has a range from c' to d"', a whole tone and two octaves. These bagpipes come with number of drones from two to four and one to two regulators."

William Cocks died in 1971.
The other term for the Pastoral pipes was the New pipes or New bagpipes. The ealiest reference to Union pipes is from 1770.
djm

Post by djm »

I am not ready to give up on the pupilow, yet. Surely there is more we can pull out of this. For instance, how did you know to look to a Polish dictionary?

There seems to be a significant Polish presence in Ireland. It goes beyond polkas and mazurkas, which swept up all of Europe when first introduced. I am sure names like O'Durzisky and McCluskey come from Polish sources. Does anyone know what this connection is/was, or where I can get more information?

Thx,

djm
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

djm wrote:..how did you know to look to a Polish dictionary?
The reason I suspected the "Polish" connection was because, searching the term "pupilow," it showed up only on Polish web sites. The way I fugured that out was by going through most of the 37 sites till I finally discovered the Polish flag. I would have guessed the sites were in the Polish language, from reference to certain geographic location, but the flag kinda of verified it even though there are elements of the written language that is similar to others nearby.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=U ... &q=pupilow
boyd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Lorenzo

I see the BIG 1000 is coming up fast.

Are you goin to have a party?

Boyd
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

:lol: (catching breath) :lol: :lol:

Champagne anyone?

What can I say... I always think of that person on the whistle forum that boosted his/her numbers up to 1000 within a few short months, so he/she could finally "relax" with the veterans. Dah? You should have seen the empty posts. I counted over 50 +/- where each post only had one word (some kind of word game hidden on the Test Forum so no one would know). :lol:

I sent Tony a musical online congratulations card for keeping such a low profile when he passed 2K with such quiet swiftness. I guess it would be a great opportunity to give a speech on the hysterical emptiness of numbers (historically) and explain why they don't mean much too me. And like Confucious, I'd say "I don't believe in the superstition of all the numerical parties, but I do enjoy the ceremony." :lol:

So, if someone wants to come to the party, I'll try and coincide the universal incident with Halloween, make sure the stars are lined up right, sweeze the weasel http://wickedweasel.com/oz/index.html and use the 7-legged octopus for a medium, raise a little cane in my neighborhood, and make a lot of alien noises on the pipes. :D
Last edited by Lorenzo on Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Wicked weasel eh?

Party on Garth!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Whoops, I probably shouldn't have added that. I typed in "weasel" on Google search to see if it was spelled right, and saw that web site--the first listed, decided to see what it was all about and thought it no harm to include in the post...if only for your enjoyment, Tony. Keeping dry? (I mean the hurricane and all :lol: )

Garth Brooks?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lorenzo wrote:I sent Tony a musical online congratulations card for keeping such a low profile when he passed 2K with such quiet swiftness. I guess it would be a great opportunity to give a speech on the hysterical emptiness of numbers (historically) and explain why they don't mean much too me. And like Confucious, I'd say "I don't believe in the superstition of all the numerical parties, but I do enjoy the ceremony."
Tell me about it. I was hoping to do the same thing but got railroaded. Jerry Freeman has much to answer for. But, any excuse for a virtual party, eh? Look out, Lorenzo!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Oh, I wasn't thinking of you Nano...I think it was your playmate, Raspberry.

And don't "egg" me on...I can't respond to your convexions, I'm saving my post counts for Halloween. :D
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Lorenzo, the Garth reference was to the comedy movie "Wayne's World".

We haven't been affected by the storm yet. It's really sunny, warm, and typically humid. Another gorgeous South Florida day. Since Isabel will pass up the coast and avoid us completely, I'll miss out on that all-important test of seeing if barometric pressure has more effect on reeds than temperature.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

:D ..barametric pressure. I bet it could fall down in the 27" level. Wayne's World eh? I don't go to movies anymore (not sure why) but you must be psychic...Wayne is my middle name.

Edit (to save post counts): some guy on the Flute Forum was talking about "almond oil" and I recommended "sweet almond oil" and he responded that.."then, I take it that must be Lorenzo's Oil?" (some movie I finally recalled having seen in the distant past--but it took me a minute)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lorenzo wrote:Oh, I wasn't thinking of you Nano...I think it was your playmate, Raspberry.
Raspberry? :lol: I know you weren't referring to me...although I have been guilty of the not infrequent, erm, "minimalist" post. True, I did play along in the Test Forum a bit, but I think the virtual Crann and I are more squabblemates than anything. :wink:
And don't "egg" me on...I can't respond to your convexions, I'm saving my post counts for Halloween. :D
*rubs hands together, chuckling*
Royce

Post by Royce »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:I'm not calling anyone an idiot, I'm just correcting someone who suggested that Kenna was such. He was a genius, and whatever he meant by "pupilow" it certainly wasn't a typo or ignorance.
Actually what I suggested was he'd heard the term "piccolo," which is in fact a term for any high pitched instrument in a consort, and more specifically a term used in organ pipes and flutes/whistles. IE: "Piccolo Snare," "Piccolo Trumpet," or "Piccolo Flute." He then appropriated it in his best approximation of spelling and or pronunciation.

IE: Leo Rowsome in his tutor I think, refers to "Appogiatura" in what I think he meant to be a description of some sort of embellishments, maybe ornamental triplets or whatever. What this really meant is subject to speculation. No doubt however, where he picked up the term, whether it accurately applied to the UP or not.