OT - Feeling like shyte...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Jessie: You always quickly and enthusiastically answered personal e-mails from me, and I especially remember the time your MOTHER answered for you, as you were out of town ~ she wanted to make sure that I didn't think that you were ignoring your messages ~

She is a special lady also, and I am sure will be a wonderful Grandmother!

Best of wishes to you!

As the mother of 4, I know of morning, noon, and night sickness :lol:
In each case, the end of the third month and it was totally gone. I tried to sleep a lot! But nothing else helped. Except time..........

Mary
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Double congratulations!!

My daughter was going through the same thing about this time last year. In fact, she did not suspect pregnancy since she'd been told she'd probably never be able to have a child. Her now husband convinced her to go to a dr. and he told her she definately had morning sickness.(I thankfully, did not have morning sickness during pregnancies- in fact showed dogs till late in the 7th month when I couldn't lift them on the table anymore)

Anyway, my daughter never did find anything that helped other than time. By the third month she was doing much better. The previous recommendation of rasberry tea is a good one for your reproductive health- I don't know if it will do anything about the yuckos though.

Thinking on down the line, here's my little bit of advice when the time comes- go for the epidural.
I was one of the first in our area to do "natural childbirth" way back when they were giving "twilight sleep" aka halucinatory amnesiac which gave no pain relief. Well I thought that was the way to go, tough it out, cold turkey, no drugs, UNTIL I was present when my daughter labored and gave birth with the benefit of an epidural- Believe me, sitting in bed, eating a popsicle and saying to the Dr. "tell me when you want me to push" beats "au natural" all to pieces!!!

You have been blessed with this little one. They are wonderful!!!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Jack

Post by Jack »

This might be sligtly off topic, but I just wanted to say that even if you were having a baby as a single mother, there's nothing wrong with that in and of itself. When I have children I plan to do it alone.

Anyway, congratulations again!!!!

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

JessieK wrote:Nope, I'm not going to be a single mom and I don't live with my parents anymore. I met the man of my dreams in March. When we decided to get married, we thought we'd get a head start on trying to start a family, as we'd heard the average time it takes is 5 months for a fertile couple to conceive. It worked on the first try. As was already planned, we'll be married next month.

Hmm...vitamin B complex...I'll look into it. Thanks!
LOL! I remember that "5 month average"! When my hubby and I decided to start thinking about a family, I figured it would be months before anything really happened, and was shocked when I conceived the very first time we went "unprotected." In fact, I couldn't quite believe it, and thus had three pregnancy tests!

I only had mild morning sickness, and it seemed mainly related to low blood sugar...I found I had to eat a lot more frequently than was normal for me. In fact, I nibbled almost constantly...I kept dried fruit and crackers in my desk at work and next to my bed at home. So long as I kept that up, I felt OK (fatigued, but no nausea), but if I let my blood sugar drop at all, I'd get terribly sick to my stomach.

Just wait for the second trimester...that's when the weird aversions and cravings start. I developed a terrible aversion to the smell of Fantastic Foods Chili Mix...not to the chili MADE from the mix, mind, but to the dry mix itself. I could eat the chili, if someone else would make it. I also developed an insane craving for chocolate turtles from A Southern Season, as well as for pinto beans and broccoli (though not all in the same meal).

Congratulations on impending familyhood!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Jessie,

Congratulations on both the pregnancy and the upcoming marriage! I am very happy to hear that things are turning out for the best with you.

I dunno about cures for morning sickness, but I am sure it will go away before too long (isn't it usually most common in the first three months of pregnancy?), although that is probably little comfort at the moment.

Cheers,
Jens
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Redwolf wrote:LOL! I remember that "5 month average"! When my hubby and I decided to start thinking about a family, I figured it would be months before anything really happened, and was shocked when I conceived the very first time we went "unprotected."
Hehe, it was the same with my wife and I. :)
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Congratulations on both counts Jessie. I am so glad you came through.

Two questions.
1. When exactly will you be saying 'I do' (preferably GMT)? I would really like to raise a glass at the right time.
2. Can the whole of C&F be a Godparent?

The return of a friend is as good as coming home.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Congrats on all counts, Jessie ( except for the feeling sick part ). Hope to run into you and your beau at some music event...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Wow, Jessie, Congratulations!!!
Glad to hear the sun is shining in your life.

Our daughter was born almost 5 months ago.
We 'discovered' the pregnancy after we planned the wedding. The first signs were also morning sickness. Actually, when we got home after the wedding ceremony my wife needed to make a run for the toilet... romantic :-)
She said the person who called it 'morning sickness' must have been an extreme optimist. She simply had Sickness and it did not go away until after 4 months and it returned in the last month.
I am in awe of the physical endurance of women after witnessing the pregnancy/birth.
What seemed to help her was to keep a very steady blood-sugar level, basically by eating simple food all the time (almonds, lots of almonds, raisings, toast etc.). I served her breakfast in bed for over 3 months so that she could get up without being sick. It was madness :-)

There are so many phases to the pregnancy. It's a bit like a 9 months preparatory course for parenthood. It was amazing when we could feel the first kicks.
If you imagine all the changes that go on in the woman's body the sickness is not all that remarkable (but awefull none the less).
The woman's immune defences are lowered to less than 50% to allow the foetus to grow. Otherwise it would be rejected.
The engineering is awe striking - and then the wonder of seeing this new person grow up before your eyes is yet to start.

Take good care of yourself and be well taken care of.
All the best,
Jeroen
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Redwolf wrote:...I figured it would be months before anything really happened, and was shocked when I conceived the very first time we went "unprotected." In fact, I couldn't quite believe it, and thus had three pregnancy tests!
I took six (all positive)! Hee.

Thank you for the congratulations and the advice. The wedding will be just 4 days before the end of the third month (Is there a God? Does he/she like me? I guess we'll find out.).

Anyone know my good friend Terry Briley? He plays (or tries to play, according to him) whistle, flute, guitar, fiddle, cello, concertina, and pipes (he may have given up the pipes...can't remember) - and is also a minister. Anyway, I met him on C&F and he became a great friend. He and his wife are going to make the 1000 mile trip from Nashville to upstate NY and he's going to perform our wedding ceremony! :)

This morning I woke up not feeling sick and I panicked that I was no longer pregnant (crazy, I know), but as soon as I got up, the dizzyness returned. Thank goodness. :P

:)
callybeg

Post by callybeg »

Hey Jessie.

Congratulations! I had horrendous morning sickness when I was pregnant with my son, and apparently big strong kids are more likely to make you feel nauseous, as they are effectively stripping you of your nutrients. Really good news for the baby, but the advice about the b vitamins is excellent, and helped me. Also, make sure you have some fruit snacks that you can tolerate (grapes, bananas etc are good, especially apricots, even dry ones, as they are jam packed full of zinc which is really good for your baby's developing brain and nervous system). I found that keeping cold fizzy water in the fridge and grapefruit juice helped - I made a cordial of one part juice to 3 parts water, and sipping that helped - kept me hydrated and stopped the queaziness from coming. And according to my Granny (who had eleven kids, including one over ten pounds - she was only four foot ten) morning sickness isn't as bad with subsequent kids. And since you are a whistler you should have proper breath control for the grand birthing!

Sounds like your baby will a happy chappy (or chappessy). Congrats again to you both, and keep happy.

Callybeg
if it harms none do as you will
carrie

Post by carrie »

All best wishes to you, Jessie. I hope you know you are in for some serious joy. :)

Carol
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Congratulations Jessie on both counts!

Are you thinking about names yet, or is it too early? I'm guessing from the Irish connection that an Irish name is in the offing?

Cranberry wrote: When I have children I plan to do it alone.
<checks medical encyclopaedia> It definitely takes two, and it's more fun trying.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Martin Milner wrote:Are you thinking about names yet, or is it too early? I'm guessing from the Irish connection that an Irish name is in the offing?
You could always follow the example of the Beckhams who called their son Brooklyn because that was where he was conceived. Mind you, that would have made me 'Cross-Channel Ferry' Barter so think carefully first. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Yes, we are thinking of names, and we got a book of Irish baby names (at Shannaquay) a week or so before we conceived. We LOVE "Festus" (hee hee!) but we know our child would grow up to kill us (or, God forbid, himself) if we named him that. So, as for real names, some on the table are:

Boys:
Eamon
Linus

Girls:
Grace
Daisy

We'll probably end up abandoning those...no idea. We're certainly open to suggestions.

This morning when Dan got up (at 4:10 AM) to go to work (he commutes to NYC), he came over to me and thanked me for doing this (pregnancy), as he knows it's really hard. He's a treasure.

:)

P.S. If we named the baby after the location of conception, it would be Leenane.