Why play whistle in such ununsual a key?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

Are you guys talking about an E above soprano D? Doesn't it get a bit shrill? Just a question. I'm addicted to playing a Bb, which has some qualities of a high whistle and some of a low one. When I pick up a high D after that, it sounds a bit squeaky high.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

There are only three really good reasons for buying a whistle in a weird key:

1) to play along with someone who plays in that weird key
2) to be sure that when you play what you wish to be a solo almost everyone else gives up and lets you play
3) because you want to
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I use an E a lot. I would consider getting a B just to not be as shrill but avaiable for E tunes. Sea chanteys like that key as well as guitar-based folks, as mentioned above. It's not high on my list, but I will get a B someday.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

TonyHiggins wrote:Are you guys talking about an E above soprano D? Doesn't it get a bit shrill? Just a question. I'm addicted to playing a Bb, which has some qualities of a high whistle and some of a low one. When I pick up a high D after that, it sounds a bit squeaky high.
Tony
I have an Elfsong E which is nice. Obviously it is getting pretty high but isn't terribly shrill. But I also have an Abell F and I wouldn't call that shrill. I'd like to have all keys covered because I play in non-celtic styles a lot. I'd get a low E if I felt the need but high E and B cover E pretty well for the few occasions I need to play in that key.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My Water Weasel high-E had belonged to Loren -- he thought it was loud and shrill. I think it's quite nice, but then I like loud whistles. The Thin Weasel E, OTOH, is a narrow bore and is not at all shrill in the upper register. I think E just speaks to me, though.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I got my wide bore Elfsong E (it also fits D and C tubes - not the smaller sassy brass version) from AndreaZ, and it's not shrill at all.

I've flirted with the idea of getting a low E too, but I don't really 'need' E for anything specific like singers or other instruments, I just like it.
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Tyghress, for me it must be #3. :D

You know, if you have B, besides being able to play (also) in the key of E you can play along a blues tune in C#m7 or F#m7 as well.

":roll: Not too many blues in C#m7" ? Forget that! :P

-----------------------------------------
"Dedicated to B whistles"
- inspired by Paul B.

Then "Not to B" said Hamlet in the dark
He pull-ed out that hideous thing in B
and slain the mass of players of re*****rs
by means of droning B, ornamentations.
Feadan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

My next two whistles acquisitions are a trade for two Sindts, B and C#. The key of B mostly for the secondary key of E and the C# for the secondary key of F# so I can play along with certain recordings I have of Northumbrian Smallpipes that play in that key (don’t know if it is because of the pipes or the recording speed). Also just so I can fill a couple of gaps in available keys in my whistle collection.
cj

Post by cj »

Dangit! Just finished the latest attack of WhOA, and now y'all have to go and make me want a B whistle . . .

Glauber's right, guitarists love the key of E.
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

Cranberry wrote:I've been wanting a whistle tuned to B minor, just don't have the $$.
Hmm, that would be A (major).

One of my more heavily used whistles.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ msheldon

I meant a whistle that XXX XXX is B and 'normal' playing produces the minor scale...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Cranberry wrote:Quote @ msheldon

I meant a whistle that XXX XXX is B and 'normal' playing produces the minor scale...
Daniel Bingamon already produces whistles like this in some of the minor modes and would probably produce them in others if asked. As a matter of curiosity, why won't an a whistle do the job you want done well enough?
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ Wombat
Cranberry wrote:
Quote @ msheldon
Quote:

Daniel Bingamon already produces whistles like this in some of the minor modes and would probably produce them in others if asked. As a matter of curiosity, why won't an a whistle do the job you want done well enough?
I don't need any 'job done', I just stated I'd like to have a 'true' B minor whistle. An A whistle probably would do the job, but that wasn't what I wanted in a perfect world, just within the talk of odd and unusual keys (the subject of this post). And, I admit, I just like to be special. :P Now stop grilling me, people (half kidding ;) )!
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Yeah!! Yeaahhhh!!!!! Symphony in B!!!!!!!!

(gasp)

Second keys are important as well, aren't they? but with a Modal D/C, you can have third (G) and even fourth (F)...:)

Feadan, good suggestion about C#. but I can't afford one yet.

Wait...maybe someone can make me a, say, Modal C#/B :D

T
------------------------------------
What stings you with hideous hook?
What follows the letter A?
Now I know you know you want it
Whistle in the key of ___ !
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Yes, I do make a whistle that play B as a bell note and proceeds up through the minor key. That is harmonic, melodic or natural minor scales.

Minor keys are great!