Advice for a newcomer!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Welcome, welcome Nancymae!
We're glad you're here
We hope you'll stay :D

You have found here an invalubale resource....friends that can't be driven off by tin whistle music. :lol:

By the way I'd second the opinion on the L.E. McCoullough stuff. He made a good video too.

Cheers,

Doc
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

You should also read our good freind Brother Steve's website from start to finish (if there is such a thing in a website): http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/

Don't expect to absorb everything at one go, but there's lots of wisdom in there.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Forrest Aguirre
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Forrest Aguirre »

Hi Nancymae -

I'm new here too - only been playing the tin whistle for about a year now, so I'm a novice.

If you're in southern WI, anywhere near Madison, you might want to take a tin whistle class through the UW memorial union. I took one from a guy whose name escapes me now, but he's involved with several celtic bands in the area. He teaches a beginning and an intermediate class. I took the beginning class from him last year and it did a great deal to jump-start my learning. I still consider myself a beginner (I'm an *extremely* busy person and find it hard to find time to practice every day), but the class helped me to not feel like so much of a rank beginner. I also am continuing to learn from a book/CD combo: THE COMPLETE IRISH TINWHISTLE TUNEBOOK by L.E. McCullough.

I've notified Parkhurst that I want to buy one of his whistles, as soon as I save up my pennies (did I mention that, despite all my business, I'm still poor?). For now, my Walton is doing me fine.

As for age, I thought I was old, starting, as I did, at age 33 (my kids keep telling me how old I am - two of my four are learning guitar and viola right now, and my wife has played piano since she was very young, so I'm a relatively late bloomer). The comments here have been an inspiration!

Forrest
corinthia

Post by corinthia »

I took a group whistle class at a folk music program over the summer, and the class was mostly adults/middle aged/and seniors. So... are you too old? NEVER! It's a simple instrument, once you learn the breath requirements.
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

Martin Milner wrote:Hi Nancy,

You are never too old to start something new - my Aunt started playing the violin 3 years ago, and she's over 60.
snip
Yeah!
My Granny started walking 5 miles a day when she was 60.
She's 95 now ..... and now we don't know where the hell she is! :D

Nancy, are you interested in the Welsh Whistlers Get-Together?
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=13793
Welcome :)
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Sara

Post by Sara »

No one is ever to old to learn something new!!

:)
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
nancymae

Thanks to All!!

Post by nancymae »

For your encouragement and well wishes!!!

Roger and Doc and fancy: Thanks for the recommendation on the books. I have found it on Amazon..and it is on my wish list!! I have found Brother Steve's tutorials on the web wonderful!! I love that he has sound clips to listen. I still sound a bit between a sick calf and a cat whose tail has been squashed....but I am trying. I am taking it slow...and trying to learn all those oramentations!!!

I have been practicing every day...for at least an hour...and know my fingerings pretty well...however....the cat and dog do not appreciate my newly found interest. All I have to do is pick up the whistle and play one note and the dog starts barking at me....so I'm glad that I found you friends who will not hurl things at me....

My hubby thinks I am just plain crazy...but he supports my efforts.

Forrest--I'm in Northeastern Wisconsin...on the borders of the Nicolet National Forest.....far far away from Mad town...although it is the site of many a happy day for me!! (I grew up in Waukesha). The internet is the complete source for me on the tin whistle...although I would LOVE to listen to a live person playing. (as opposed to a dead person playing). Maybe they will have something at Barnes and Nobel on St. Paddy's day down in Green Bay. One could only hope.

Speaking of playing solo....in my explorations on the internet, I found a site that has a whistle that is a quieter one...but, for the life of me...I can't find the site again. Does anyone know of this quieter whistle? One that is just for solo playing and not sessions? I have only saved about 100 sites since starting my whistle playing endeavor!!!

Thanks again all for the encouragement and support!! I love it here already!!!

Nancy
bjs

Playing quietly

Post by bjs »

Someone elsewhere suggested putting blue tack on the whistle blade. Vary the amount according to how quiet you want to be. I found this works a treat.

brian
skh

Re: Thanks to All!!

Post by skh »

nancymae wrote:Speaking of playing solo....in my explorations on the internet, I found a site that has a whistle that is a quieter one...but, for the life of me...I can't find the site again. Does anyone know of this quieter whistle?
Mack Hoover's narrow bore D?

Sonja
Shut up and play.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Of all the whistles I have played, I have found the Clarke origional design the quietest D whislte. It is also one of the most consistant performers bewteen individual whistles and best tuned whistles I have found/played.

Clarke D whistle
nancymae

Post by nancymae »

Thanks fancy and skh....I don't know about the Hoover one...I will have to check it out. I have the Clarke Celtic Whistle....is that the same one fancy???

Thanks for the quck responses!!

Nancy
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

Clarke currently makes 3 models.
Origional design (quietest with a breathy tone:

Sweetone and Meg (sweet, sort of a "too" pure tone and louder both look similar and have plastic fipples
Sweetone:
Meg:
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Fancypiper, I was surprised and delighted to find out that you're in Sparta. I thought the only pipes there were Dr. Grabow. :)
fancypiper wrote:Sweetone and Meg (sweet, sort of a "too" pure tone and louder both look similar and have plastic fipples:
Rather than "too pure," I would describe their tone as totally lacking in character. Maybe that means the same thing.
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

Ridseard, where do you live? I see a pic of Mabry Mill on your website.

Some of the high end whistles have what I call a "too pure" tone. It's sort of like the difference of concert flute where they try to get a pure sine wave out of it, compared to the Irish flute style which is played at the edge of the octave break and is rich and reedy in sound. Compare James Galway with Matt Molloy and that will be roughly the difference in tone between the Sweetone/Meg and the origional design.

The orig design whistle sounds like an Irish whistle and the others lacks overtones/richness/roughness, whatever you want to call it.

The Sweetone/Meg sounds better when I hear someone else playing it, so maybe it might be OK. I just like my orig. design as it feels better in my mouth (once I get the plug broken in and the strange taste disappears) and sounds better in my ear when I play it.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

fancypiper wrote:Ridseard, where do you live? I see a pic of Mabry Mill on your website.
I live in northwest Forsyth Co., near Winston-Salem. I hang out in the mountains a lot.