Welsh Whistlers Get-Together

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Easily_Deluded_Fool
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

trisha wrote:Let's just keep the thread bumped up the list for a couple of weeks for those that don't visit so often. I don't venture too far from home between Jan and the end of April due to youngstock - lambs, llama crias etc, so even Swansea would be pushing it some.

Regarding the worst whistler contest - bags I the wooden whistle...erm I mean spoon.. :wink:

Trisha - half way up Wales on the right hand side :)
If somebody had a farm, with an outbuilding big enough, and would allow some people to make scary noises with metal/palstic/wooden tubes, then the choice of venue for a first meet might be solved.

Also they could record the scary noises, and play them back to ...well, scare things e.g. scavenging birds, tax collectors, VAT men(and wimmen).
Host to provide tea/coffee from say Saturday midday to early evening?

Livestock could be looked after etc 'cos it's not like there is a choice where animals are involved.

Transport could be shared to cut costs, or student passes utilised.
Wotcha think?

One off offer!

If anyone (in Wales :twisted: ) really can't afford the travel and desparately wants to meet up at this first gathering, email me, and we'll have a look at it.
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Cariad

Post by Cariad »

Hi,
I've been away for a while and only just seen this. (I am also not visiting the board too often at the moment for the same reason even though I'm back home - there's a lot to deal with)

I would LOVE to meet up with other Welsh whistlers. I might qualify for the worst in a contest being a relative newie - but I could drop some of the same names as Jo C.!! (but not quite as many as she is SO into the Welsh music scene!) I know Julie and Ceri - who happens to be my flute teacher, is a great piper and does really good workshops - and lives in the next village to me. Depends what kind of meet we want though - I think low key and enjoying some Welsh music and getting to know each other a bit for starters might be good. A pre-meet for that on a Sat or something was a good suggestion from someone. I could get to Swansea for that (1.5 hr drive)

Aberystwyth would be an ideal location for me - only an hours drive up the coast (then I could sleep at home and not in a tent - my bones are getting too old for that these days) and I have a friend up there (post grad at the uni) who is involved in the folk club so I could find out more about that too.

Jo - if you get a train up to Carmarthen from Pembs I could give you a lift to Aber. I would take us 1.5 hrs (Carmarthen is half an hour in the wrong direction for me but it would be possible and workable)

Who are all the Welsh whistles who chiff and fipple then? Is it just 5 of us?

Hope we can come to some agreement on this soon - it's a great idea (and much nicer than London - sorry Dale!)

Sarah
skh

Post by skh »

I'm not from Wales, and I have no idea what next year will bring, but I'd really like to visit Wales (and a friend who I've never met in person who lives in Swansea). So, maybe, I'll drop by.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Cariad

Post by Cariad »

Forgot to mention for anyone interested - the Pencader Pipe Festival is on Sept 19th and 20th this year. It's a small and only very locally advertised event really for the local community but the last 2 years have been FANTASTIC! Great sessions in the pub after the concerts on Fri and Sat nights - till about 6 a.m. once! workshops on the Sat a.m. and a feast. There are always some excellent visiting pipers. Anyone who makes music by blowing something is always welcome at the workshops and sessions. it's great fun. Last year they also did coracle racing on the river Teifi. You can find out more if you just type Pencader Pipe Festival into google. (It's something Ceri started and organises)
Maybe see someone else from C+F there?
Sarah
Jo C

Post by Jo C »

I'll second the Pencader recommendation for anyone who can make it (unfortunately I can't). I've never actually been, but from what I've heard, it is a very nice festival. Cass said it's the best festival ever, and as a professional musician she should have a good idea!

Thanks for the offer of a lift Sarah - I might be able to get a lift with someone to somewhere nearer to you than Carmarthen.

An idea regarding a workshop - if we all came ready to share a tune, an official workshop leader wouldn't be necessary, and teaching is a great way of improving your playing. It wouldn't matter if a couple of people already know it. Just one request - NOT Pwt ar y Bys! :)

Would anyone object to the presence of non- C&Fers / non-whistlers? Obviously if it's at a private house, it would be a different matter.

Jo.
Image Image Image
trisha

Post by trisha »

Jo C wrote: An idea regarding a workshop - if we all came ready to share a tune, an official workshop leader wouldn't be necessary, and teaching is a great way of improving your playing. It wouldn't matter if a couple of people already know it. Just one request - NOT Pwt ar y Bys! :)

Would anyone object to the presence of non- C&Fers / non-whistlers? Obviously if it's at a private house, it would be a different matter.

Jo.
I like the share a tune idea...maybe grander ideas could follow at GetTog2! It might be possible to hold it here - in the lap of the builders who start their seven months of deliberations hopefully next month :roll: . The only snag is we're mid-east Wales...but that might encourage a few from over the border.

I personally have no problem with partners etc attending, but it would be nice to keep it smallish so as not to intimidate the less flamboyant, so I wouldn't want it as an all-comers event wherever it was...What do others think?

Trisha...a Scot by birth who's never even heard of Pwt ar y Bys...does that make me a heathen :lol: :lol:
Cariad

Post by Cariad »

Sounds good to me Trisha.
I'm probably a heathen too, I never heard of it either. I think I know 6 trad Welsh tunes - all learnt from Ceri - and I'm half Welsh but born over the water in Bristol!
Sarah
Jo C

Post by Jo C »

You don't really want to have heard of it. Known in English music as Buttered Peas (see story below) it's an ok tune, just not very interesting and I'm a bit sick of it. I suppose it's the Welsh equivilant of Ireland's Egan's/Kerry Polka.

Englishman: What's that tune called then?
Welshman: Pwt ar y bys
Englishman: putter uh bees..... puttered beas.... Buttered Peas! That's what he said!
Image Image Image
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

Cough!
Oops!
Sorry :)
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
lesl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

hello Welsh whistlers and fellow ceri-fans,

I came across this thread last week and sent the link to ceri as it
reminded me of him.. not realizing that some of his students are online
here - so keep saying nice things :) ..

I don't play much Welsh music nowadays, mainly Irish, but when I was
working in a Welsh project (see below) I met the illustrious Mr. Matthews
and made a small collection of Welsh abc's, including a batch that he sent
me, some of which were transcribed from Cass. They are on the web and
some are transposed for whistle and flute-friendly people. Here is the link
in case anyone wants to get some of them:

http://jodeejames.home.att.net/welshabc.htm

I'm already envious of your gathering-to-be and I hope someone will say
hi for me to Ceri and Julie, and please send up on C&F, reports of your
adventures ok?

Hope the Pencader Pipe Fest is as good as I've heard of past reports, and
I hope some one will post some pics too!

hwyl (sp), Lesl
Jo C

Post by Jo C »

So to summarise:

A meet-up of C&F members living in Wales is planned for one Saturday. Venue either a room in Swansea university or somewhere in Aberystwyth or in Trisha's barn if available.
Partners are welcome but not too many 'external' people.
There will be a contest to find Wales' worst whistler :wink: .
Each person should come prepared to share a tune and learn some tunes.
Lift-sharing from North and South may be arranged.

Anybody add to that?
Personally I won't be easily available now til December, except for possibly a weekend in October, but I'd do my best to make it to a garthering.

would it be best to find a date first then a venue or the other way around?

Jo.
(btw great site lesl)
Image Image Image
thewesleyan

Post by thewesleyan »

That sounds like an accurate summary - though I find the prospect of bringing a tune terrifying! Hope something simple will be tolerated.

Early December, or before too much of 2004 elapses looks like a good scheme to me.
Cariad

Post by Cariad »

thewesleyan wrote:Hope something simple will be tolerated..
Don't worry - it will have to be if I'm coming!!

Sarah :)
Cariad

Post by Cariad »

[quote="lesl"]hello Welsh whistlers and fellow ceri-fans,

I came across this thread last week and sent the link to ceri as it
reminded me of him.. not realizing that some of his students are online
here - so keep saying nice things :) ..

:oops: aaaaaaahhh! I hope I didn't say anything that would embarrass him - maybe that's why I couldn't reach him for a few weeks!!
Thanks for the link - that's great!

Sarah :)
lesl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

Cariad said:
maybe that's why I couldn't reach him for a few weeks!!
Maybe these pics of Pibe Bach will be of interest:

http://www.britishcouncil.org/oman
http://www.britishcouncil.org/oman/infoexch/omanews.htm

Glad you folks like the abc's. I only know a very few of those tunes
well - some I know are the Folantein, Haffoty Daffyd Owen, the Village
Jig, Gwynt y Glan, a nice tune from Sian Phillips.. (I played instead
mostly the songs which Jodee sings.) Anyway have fun with all the tunes!

Cheers, Lesl