OT: Grrrr! SoBig!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

OT: Grrrr! SoBig!

Post by Redwolf »

Someone at Virginia Tech has my email address...and the SoBig Virus!

The good news is my McAfee and my ISP virus filters are protecting me well, so my computer isn't infected. The bad news is my in-box is being flooded by notifications from administrator@vt.edu telling me that an email I tried to send to someone at VT contains the virus and with notifications from my ISP that emails from various VT addresses containing the SoBig worm have been quarantined (I got 111 emails just this morning from those two sources alone). I'm not even sure who there could possibly have email on their computer...I don't know anyone at Virginia Tech! I'm glad my computer is safe, but does anyone have any idea when I can expect the flood of emails to stop?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

I got 37 one day 2 the next and none since. I guess Norton is keeping me safe.
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

I've got exactly the same thing-Virginia Tech and all. Does this go away sooner or later?

Steve
Steven

Post by Steven »

Actually, it doesn't mean you know anyone at VT or that anyone there knows you. It means that somebody who knows you (and has the virus) also knows somebody at VT. The virus sends itself to everybody in a person's address book and picks one of those addresses at random to be the From field, so you can't trace where it actually came from.

Just delete all the messages. There will be a lot fewer of them soon, and the virus is set to self-destruct on the 10th, so there should be none then (unless another version is then released....).

:roll:
Steven
lddulcimer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lddulcimer »

I was getting 30-40 messages a day from someone(s) I know who are infected. On Saturday, they all stopped. I haven't seen one since. Maybe the sobig flood is about over! :)
Peace.
Larry
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

What's really interesting (and annoying) is, for every infected email I get, I also get a message from my ISP informing me that they've quarantined the email, as well as a message from Virginia Tech informing me that my computer has (apparently...though of course, not actually) SENT an infected email. So for every 40 infected emails I get, I actually get 120 messages! Sure hope it stops soon!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Someone on the other SoBig thread posted that the virus self destructs and ceases operations on Sept 12. I have not gotten a SoBig email for a few days either. I guess it is like the flu, hot and heavy for a few days and then peters out.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
TomB

Post by TomB »

I received a "bunch" early last week- several hundred. By week's end they were still coming, but just a couple a day. None now for about 3 or 4 days.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

I think someone who was infected, finally cleaned up their drive so I'm getting fewer and fewer messages. I also know that more and more ISP's are filtering/scanning suspect files and deleteing them at the front door. That too helps. I hope that it's a sign folks are getting clean. If not we could have a nasty suprise in the near future. This critter has a couple of encripted hooks that are kind of scary and may result in a very rapid on-slaught of the next version of this virus. SoBig.F is the 6th version.

It has been a pain and has seriously impacted speeds across the internet from time to time.

Well here's hoping folks are getting cured, less chance of repeat infection mean greater chance you can ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Ah. I also have received several dozen emails from administrator@vt.edu.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I'm having all kinds of trouble with the internet.
Very slow. Graphics are even slower.
It's taken multiple tries to even get to the posting point here.

I tried posting earlier and it just plain wouldn't work
Are these some of the effects of this "bug"?

I also can't even send out an e-mail.

I have Norton antivirus, but could this be part of this thing or do I need to get a computer person here to fix this?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Now that is well and truly WEIRD. Starting Sunday and for three days now, I'm also getting flooded with the same "Virus Warnings" from the same server as the rest of you guys. I tried to send the SysAdmin a complaint and got no reply. I *KNOW* my machine is clean.

I'm beginning to wonder if the problem isn't in their server. Do we have anyone here whose C&F participation comes through that particular domain?